mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Cunningham Tables

Old 2012-03-01, 23:37   #23
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

744910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
I suspect that the poster fails to realize that this passage is a book within a book (i.e. the second edition) and was published in 1988 and written maybe in 1987. The third ed. itself (the PDF file) is dated 2002 and is, too, quite old. The introductions are the meat of the book.
It also gave a rather nice history on the subject of factoring technology
dating back to the 1930's -- Lehmer's Sieves, hardware from the 1950's,
the discovery of P-1, CFRAC, QS, distributed factoring, prime testing
algorithms, etc. etc.

I've been involved since 1981 and have seen the technology (both h/w
and algorithms) evolve. It has been an education.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 01:18   #24
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(3,3^1118781+1)/3

2·7·647 Posts

On the humorous side, I wonder if 5,128+ was referred to as an ECM miss back then (it split as p26 * p62)? ...or was that infamous affront invented later?
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 02:45   #25
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

3·13·191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
On the humorous side, I wonder if 5,128+ was referred to as an ECM miss back then (it split as p26 * p62)? ...or was that infamous affront invented later?
p26's were accessible, but not that easy. I tried ECM first, but it failed.
Old 2012-03-02, 03:16   #26
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

3·2,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
People in this forum are
spoiled! They have PC's that are faster than Crays were then. Many
times faster and larger.
That is what I said in the first paragraph of my post. I was on your side, but you decided to jump on me related to the copyright part. If it would be up to me, 5-7 years for an anticipation book and for any movie would be long enough, and less then 5 years for a scientific book. This would not cover "practical inventions" (products). Putting theory in practice and making money from it is not easy and that is a different story. (no need to reply me to argue against that, none of you can change one's crazy ideas, and sorry for offtopic).
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 03:33   #27
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(3,3^1118781+1)/3

905810 Posts

Biologists and especially computational biologists are all for it, but it is one thing to work hard towards open access scientific publishing and quite another to approach an existing publishing house with an ultimatum - "hey! most of the people are already doing it, so we demand that your articles are also free of copyright now! We will start infringing on you right this moment; get used to it, this is the new norm". At best they will laugh at you, at worst they will slap you with a cease-and-desist.

This is not to say that I have any idea what A.M.S.'s viewpoint on this, but don't try this with Science or Nature. Publish in PLoS or BMC and then redistribute however you like - because you are the owner.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 03:40   #28
Neo

Dec 2010
Ava, Missouri

2816 Posts

Quote:
It also gave a rather nice history on the subject of factoring technology
dating back to the 1930's -- Lehmer's Sieves, hardware from the 1950's,
the discovery of P-1, CFRAC, QS, distributed factoring, prime testing
algorithms, etc. etc.

I've been involved since 1981 and have seen the technology (both h/w
and algorithms) evolve. It has been an education.
RDS,

I was merely trying to distract you and/or point out the obvious that I copying something without permission. Additionally, I was surprised to see your name when I was reading up on the history of Cunningham numbers thanks to Xyzzy; then again, by your strict oversight and enforcement of U.S. Copyright law, I should have known that you were somehow involved with that particular book.

I see your name in a lot serious math books/publications. For one so learned as yourself, one would think that you would have an attitude of gratitude that someone was relying upon YOUR work to learn about mathematics.

Neo
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 07:33   #29
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

17·593 Posts

Quote:
p26's were accessible, but not that easy. I tried ECM first, but it failed.
One of my earliest Cunningham contributions, I believe, was a p31 found by ECM from a Most Wanted Number. I was relatively luck to find it. I think I was using a DEDstation with 8MB memory and a 25MHz R3000 cpu. There again, it may have been a Sun3/50 with a comparable speed Motorola 68020 cpu and only 4M RAM.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 07:38   #30
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

17×593 Posts

Quote:
Let's give everyone here a VAX-780 with 16M of memory and see what they can do with it
I'd love to have a 11/780 but, unfortunately, don't have anywhere to put it. The VAX 11/7xx series were beautiful machines. I cut my teeth on C programming and Unix system development on an 11/750. My DPhil thesis was created with Emacs on that machine and output to a daisy wheel attached to it. Because of my especially favorable access to hardware my thesis was one of the first submitted not to be typewritten.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 13:41   #31
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

1D1916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I'd love to have a 11/780 but, unfortunately, don't have anywhere to put it. The VAX 11/7xx series were beautiful machines. I cut my teeth on C programming and Unix system development on an 11/750. My DPhil thesis was created with Emacs on that machine and output to a daisy wheel attached to it. Because of my especially favorable access to hardware my thesis was one of the first submitted not to be typewritten.
I did a lot of factoring work on even smaller VAXEN: the microvax.
Old 2012-03-02, 13:48   #32
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

3·13·191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
I see your name in a lot serious math books/publications. For one so learned as yourself, one would think that you would have an attitude of gratitude that someone was relying upon YOUR work to learn about mathematics.

Neo
Over the years most of the posters in this forum have shown true
disdain for actually learning the math. It has been a "bone of
contention". When people have asked questions and I have pointed
them to my papers, many have not bothered to read them.

Indeed, they believe that my attitude of "If you want to do this
kind of work, you should learn at least some of the math" is wrong.
I have been extensively lambasted for this attitude.

There have been some pretty hefty flame wars in this forum over my
"bad attitude".
Old 2012-03-02, 16:31   #33
bcp19

Oct 2011

12478 Posts

Quote:
Over the years most of the posters in this forum have shown true
disdain for actually learning the math. It has been a "bone of
contention". When people have asked questions and I have pointed
them to my papers, many have not bothered to read them.

Indeed, they believe that my attitude of "If you want to do this
kind of work, you should learn at least some of the math" is wrong.
I have been extensively lambasted for this attitude.

There have been some pretty hefty flame wars in this forum over my
"bad attitude".
I actually looked up a few of your works the last few days, but other than a synopsis, I was unable to view them. There were 7 or 9 listed on one site as PDFs, but all but one of the links I clicked gave an error that it could not be found (ceerx?).
Please don't take this the wrong way, but for a lot of us, the lack of a good early framework means a lot of us do not have the current capability to understand the math involved here. While I would love to learn, I really don't have the time to take classes to improve my current abilities, and without having a battery of tests done to determine my current level of understanding, and probably a tutor, it's hard to try and learn through books. Mathematics, at least to me, fall under the 'a picture is worth a thousand words' category. No matter how well a text is written, it cannot anticipate all possible questions a student may have, and sometimes there is a key element that a teacher can impart that makes it all fall into place, but without a teacher who can understand what the student lacks, progress is likely to be slow.
bcp19 is offline   Reply With Quote