mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Puzzles

Old 2005-12-03, 05:49   #1
Orgasmic Troll
Cranksta Rap Ayatollah

Jul 2003

641 Posts
Default now HERE'S a puzzle.

There are three doors on a remote island. By two of the doors, there is a native standing. One native always tells the truth, one always lies. By the third door stands Monty Hall.

The natives have words for yes and no. They are "ra" and "ta," but you don't know which is which.

The natives, of course, come from villages where each person has either a red or a green dot on their foreheads. If a native discovers his or her color, then that native, out of civic duty, kills {his,her}self the next day at noon. 6 days ago, Monty Hall visited each village, proclaiming "I see a red dot," in the truthful village, and "I do not see a red dot," in the village of liars. (He was lying, of course; he just wanted to be consistent with the local customs.)

One of the natives drives a Toyota and the other an Oldsmobile. Monty Hall recently traded a barometer for one of these cars. The native that drove the Toyota is the island ruler who has a beautiful green-dotted truth-telling heir apparent who has not yet killed {him,her}self. The other native owns a tiger. At least one of these natives is male.

Behind the three doors are (not necessarily in this order):
1. a viscious, deadly tiger who always kills the person that releases him.
2. a car containing twelve coins (one fake) and a scale
3. a {lady,prince} you love entertaining the members of U2 with a flashlight.

Monty Hall, of course, will open the door not containing U2, then give you the option of switching doors. With one question, can you become the new ruler and kill Monty Hall in the process?
Orgasmic Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-03, 11:59   #2
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

23·3·52 Posts

What was the name of that fantasy movie with David Bowie and the dwarf named hoggle?

Ask one of the natives "If I asked the other native which door to open, what would he say?" Whichever one you ask will tell you to open the door to the tiger.

Then all you have to figure out is whether or not Ra means yes or no.

I think you may have confused yourself with this one. You didn't say whether the natives knew what was behind the doors. Its full of pretty badly mixed metaphors too.

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-04, 08:57   #3
Orgasmic Troll
Cranksta Rap Ayatollah

Jul 2003

10100000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power
What was the name of that fantasy movie with David Bowie and the dwarf named hoggle?

Ask one of the natives "If I asked the other native which door to open, what would he say?" Whichever one you ask will tell you to open the door to the tiger.

Then all you have to figure out is whether or not Ra means yes or no.

I think you may have confused yourself with this one. You didn't say whether the natives knew what was behind the doors. Its full of pretty badly mixed metaphors too.

Fusion
I didn't write it, I got it from mathpuzzle.com

..and I just thought it was hilarious. I didn't try to solve it.
Old 2005-12-06, 03:45   #4
potonono

Jun 2005
USA, IL

193 Posts

Quote:
Labyrinth
potonono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-07, 13:54   #5
fatphil

May 2003

3478 Posts

It's simple - just juggle the cabbages, thus ensuring that the goat doesn't cause the bridge to collapse when all 4 lights are on.

Phil
fatphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-07, 19:15   #6
fetofs

Aug 2005
Brazil

1011010102 Posts

Easy -- let's consider the two possibilities:

1)Monty Hall opens the door with the tiger, then you ask some one to open the other two doors.

2)Monty Hall opens the door with the car. You ask him to open the other ones!
fetofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-08, 07:19   #7
Orgasmic Troll
Cranksta Rap Ayatollah

Jul 2003

641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatphil
It's simple - just juggle the cabbages, thus ensuring that the goat doesn't cause the bridge to collapse when all 4 lights are on.

Phil