mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2009-10-31, 09:18   #1
lidocorc

Nov 2008
Rosenheim, Germany

23·3 Posts
Default Installing mprime on Linux

Recently I got a 4 year old Linux server as a gift but I'm not familiar with linux yet.

Trying to install mprime I came into some trouble. Opening mprime from the Gnome GUI (compared to what I would do from a Windows GUI) doesn't start an mprime window, but in the background mprime must have talked to the primenet server. In prime.log there were some lines added which show this had happened.

The readme file, which is part of the mprime259.tar.gz package I downloaded, refers to prime95 and a windows installation and didn't help me.

Could anybody give me some hint so that I get mprime running properly?

Thank you in advance.
lidocorc
lidocorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 22:53   #2
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

251010 Posts

mprime is command-line only.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 07:47   #3
joblack

Oct 2008
n00bville

52×29 Posts

There is a thread where I explain how I installed the Linux version (with autorun on bootup) ... http://mersenneforum.org/showthread....ghlight=linux+ If you're not familiar with Linux I suggest you read some HOWTOs how to handle it (create directories and other stuff on the command line).

Last fiddled with by joblack on 2009-11-01 at 07:51
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 12:23   #4
lidocorc

Nov 2008
Rosenheim, Germany

23×3 Posts

Thank you, joblack. That's it, what I was looking for.
lidocorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 19:34   #5
Bernie

Nov 2009

102 Posts
Default mprime in ubuntu

Hi, I've been running Prime 95 for years, but now I want to add a box running ubunu Hardy Heron. I got all the files unzipped and such. but when I run mprime -m in the terminal, the terminal just closes up. Not sure if I should also refer to above link or what is even supposed to happen when it's actually running. Thanks for any help getting started.
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 13:10   #6
joblack

Oct 2008
n00bville

72510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Hi, I've been running Prime 95 for years, but now I want to add a box running ubunu Hardy Heron. I got all the files unzipped and such. but when I run mprime -m in the terminal, the terminal just closes up. Not sure if I should also refer to above link or what is even supposed to happen when it's actually running. Thanks for any help getting started.
mprime -m is just the menu - you normally start it with ./mprime in the background ...
Old 2009-11-05, 21:10   #7
Bernie

Nov 2009

2 Posts

sorry for being totally confused... how do I know it's running? how do I see the assignments or output or anything?

Basically: how do I get this thing started?

thanks
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 10:27   #8
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

9CE16 Posts

Run it with mprime -d - which will output everything to the console. The worktodo.txt contains the queued work and results.txt the finished work.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 20:47   #9
joblack

Oct 2008
n00bville

52·29 Posts

You should use the init bash script I have written in the mprime linux thread. So you don't have to start it for yourself. You can see in this thread how to (re-)run it in a later time.

Of course you could always start it in a shell with ./mprime but if you close the shell (or logout or the shell (for instance konsole) crashs) mprime will be closed with it.

You can always use the command

and mprime should be lurking in the top of the process display. If you only start it with mprime -m it isn't calculating anything (you're just editing your configuration or checking other stuff). You can run several instances (which isn't recommended). If there is a mprime running that you don't want to have you can always kill it with killall mprime and restart it (under root) with

/etc/init.d/mprime start

Every changes you have made with mprime -m while the program is already running will be overwritten so make changes only if no other instance is running. Kind of user unfriendly but the community and the Linux mprime programmer doesn't seem to mind about that ...

Last fiddled with by joblack on 2009-11-06 at 20:55
Old 2009-11-06, 20:59   #10
joblack

Oct 2008
n00bville

52×29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
sorry for being totally confused... how do I know it's running? how do I see the assignments or output or anything?

Basically: how do I get this thing started?

thanks
The first steps are:

./mprime -m (in the mprime directory)

to setup your worker threads and what you want to calculate

After setting up your configuration (threads, cpu and memory usage, ...) press 5 and enter to exit

After that you start the mprime program to work on it (as described earlier).

While mprime is running you can always check the progress by starting

./mprime -m

and press 3 for the actual status ...

Don't add any exponents because they will most likely be overwritten (if oyu want to change something permanently kill the worker mprime and then use mprime -m -> exit and restart mprime ...).

Kind of odd but you will get the idea of it.
---
PS: And don't forget to read the Linux Autostart thread (link at the top of this thread).

Last fiddled with by joblack on 2009-11-06 at 21:02