Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2015-01-04, 23:53   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default Politics determined by rectal exams

http://www.bing.com/search?q=democra...ZI&form=MOZSBR

I've been experiencing the slashdot version of dislike botting because of a few angry posts I put up, so you guys might be seeing a bit more of me in the next few weeks. (And the forum rejoices...or not)

I'm wondering what you guys think of the idea of guessing someone's political ideology with brain scans. If not political ideology, what about other stuff...lie detection, criminality, likelyhood of running for office, etc.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 01:06   #2
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

3·7·367 Posts

Wouldn't an IQ test be easier?

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 01:30   #3
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23·727 Posts

We should use phrenology, it would be just as accurate and much cheaper.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 02:32   #4
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
http://www.bing.com/search?q=democra...ZI&form=MOZSBR

I've been experiencing the slashdot version of dislike botting because of a few angry posts I put up, so you guys might be seeing a bit more of me in the next few weeks. (And the forum rejoices...or not)
I'm adding this as an edit in another post because of the 60 minute rule.

Turns out I'm starting out with a -1 ranking, I'm assuming it's because of my "Terrible" karma. So, no dislike botting going on.
Old 2015-01-05, 02:39   #5
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

350510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Wouldn't an IQ test be easier?

Would a low IQ indicate a liberal or a conservative? According to the first article Google gives, it's the Democrats that are more likely to listen to their feelings, while the Republicans are more likely to be cognizant of risk/reward-type thoughts.

Going by that alone, one would assume emotionalistic(it's a word, I know cuz I made it up) behavior would indicate a low IQ. And, yes, I'm totally trolling.

I have a friend who approaches problems the same way I do, but his core beliefs are way more leftist than mine. I get along with him because he approaches problems the same way. He disagrees in a way that's comprehensible to me, so he's way less likely to "bug the shit out of me" than most liberals.

Some people just come across as crazy to me, not because of their beliefs, but how they explain them. Lots of circular reasoning is the easiest way to set me off, plus logical contradictions.
Old 2015-01-05, 02:58   #6
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23·727 Posts

Quote:
Would a low IQ indicate a liberal or a conservative?
So there are only two possible ideologies?

The world is a large place, I encourage you to experience more of it and expand your outlook about things.
Old 2015-01-05, 09:20   #7
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

145310 Posts

Possibly related:
https://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/...not-to-freeze/
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 02:38   #8
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post

The world is a large place, I encourage you to experience more of it and expand your outlook about things.
Good point, but most of the articles refer mostly to Republicans and Democrats, since I guess they did the tests on Americans, and those are the biggest parties by far.
Old 2015-01-06, 02:42   #9
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

132708 Posts

Quote:
Good point, but most of the articles refer mostly to Republicans and Democrats, since I guess they did the tests on Americans, and those are the biggest parties by far.
Many humans have a tendency to go where the crowd is. I doubt that most of those people even realise what it is all about.

My mom says X is where the good stuff happens so I'm supporting X. Yay X. Rah, rah X. Go X. All those in Y are losers, boo ya!
Old 2015-01-06, 19:42   #10
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M50..sshh!

2·3·149 Posts

Quote:
Would a low IQ indicate a liberal or a conservative? According to the first article Google gives, it's the Democrats that are more likely to listen to their feelings, while the Republicans are more likely to be cognizant of risk/reward-type thoughts.

Going by that alone, one would assume emotionalistic(it's a word, I know cuz I made it up) behavior would indicate a low IQ. And, yes, I'm totally trolling.
I'm not really sure where you come up with this claim. In my experience, "conservatives" tend to swing Bibles and segments of oil pipeline while "liberals" tend to swing textbooks and lightsabers made of rainbows. I consider myself to be quite liberal, particularly on social issues. I support research into alternative energy even though my emotionally combustive nature knows these technologies are not as efficient and are more expensive than our current infrastructure. The reasons for this are complex and an entire thread could likely be devoted to them. The "party of liberals" also tends to scoff less at concepts like... the age of the Earth being greater than 5,000 years and can correctly define what 'theory' means in the context of the Theory of Evolution- the not at all contentious topic that pushes the emotional buttons of both "liberals" and "conservatives." Just because I'm a filthy liberal heathen scumbag that worships the Antichrist and wishes to endorse his future bastardization of America into a dystopian, communistic society doesn't mean that I can't (occasionally) use my head.

Quote:

Quote:
Many humans have a tendency to go where the crowd is. I doubt that most of those people even realise what it is all about.

My mom says X is where the good stuff happens so I'm supporting X. Yay X. Rah, rah X. Go X. All those in Y are losers, boo ya!
Politics in America summed up beautifully.

Last fiddled with by Primeinator on 2015-01-06 at 20:20
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote