mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-10-26, 12:30   #1
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×5×587 Posts
Default Athlon II 620 x4

My dad has just bought a new pc and as I haven't seen anyone on here using a Athlon II I thought I would post a benchmark. I also have a few questions.

I am having trouble finding a program that will read the CPU's on core temperature sensors. Even AMD Overdrive gets wrong readings. Has anyone got any suggestions?

My other problem is that CPU-z, Prime95 and the BIOS both report that I have 6MB of L3 cache which I shouldn't unless I have a rare chip that has it. AMD Overdrive doesnt detect it.

My motherboard is http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...M3A790GXH/128M and memory is http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=221.
Overall I am quite impressed.

I will post overclocked times later.
Attached Files
File Type: txt stock+memory@1066.txt (9.8 KB, 112 views)

Last fiddled with by henryzz on 2009-10-26 at 12:31
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 23:35   #2
joblack
 
joblack's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
n00bville

13258 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
My dad has just bought a new pc and as I haven't seen anyone on here using a Athlon II I thought I would post a benchmark. I also have a few questions.

I am having trouble finding a program that will read the CPU's on core temperature sensors. Even AMD Overdrive gets wrong readings. Has anyone got any suggestions?

My other problem is that CPU-z, Prime95 and the BIOS both report that I have 6MB of L3 cache which I shouldn't unless I have a rare chip that has it. AMD Overdrive doesnt detect it.

My motherboard is http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...M3A790GXH/128M and memory is http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=221.
Overall I am quite impressed.

I will post overclocked times later.
If you want to try Linux use the newest kernel and the sensors package. That works (also with Phenom 2's) like a charm. There should be a software on your mainboard CD which allows you to read the temperature values but perhaps ASrock is too cheap for that ;). Btw. the board is fine to enable the two extra cores on the Phenom 2 X2 BE CPU (as described in another thread in this forum).

Last fiddled with by joblack on 2009-10-26 at 23:37
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 06:46   #3
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·5·587 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
If you want to try Linux use the newest kernel and the sensors package. That works (also with Phenom 2's) like a charm. There should be a software on your mainboard CD which allows you to read the temperature values but perhaps ASrock is too cheap for that ;). Btw. the board is fine to enable the two extra cores on the Phenom 2 X2 BE CPU (as described in another thread in this forum).
I will try today the drivers on the cd. Yesterday i downloaded what i could from online.
If i have to I will use linux to overclock but the main operating system will be Windows 7 and I have read that windows can run 5 degrees hotter than linux although I have never done a temperature reading on linux.
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 07:23   #4
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

943310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
...and I have read that windows can run 5 degrees hotter than linux although I have never done a temperature reading on linux.
You must have read it wrong, it was in all probability --
"windows will run 5 degrees hotter than linux", idle or not.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 07:59   #5
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×5×587 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
You must have read it wrong, it was in all probability --
"windows will run 5 degrees hotter than linux", idle or not.
maybe
I am not sure that something like windows 95 will run hotter than linux.
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 03:25   #6
joblack
 
joblack's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
n00bville

52·29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
You must have read it wrong, it was in all probability --
"windows will run 5 degrees hotter than linux", idle or not.
The heat is dependend on what you're doing with your cpu - if you use mprime (or any other cpu intensive application) it will be as hot as it can get despite the used OS ... ;)
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
amd athlon 64 bug? Unregistered Hardware 17 2004-06-01 22:57
Athlon 64 Benchmark(s) GSV3MiaC Hardware 4 2004-01-26 10:43
Athlon 64 ThomRuley Hardware 7 2003-09-28 13:31
Athlon vs. P4 ThomRuley Lone Mersenne Hunters 1 2003-07-11 23:15
Optimizing for Athlon?? Paulie Software 6 2002-09-13 23:01

All times are UTC. The time now is 17:28.

Sat May 15 17:28:09 UTC 2021 up 37 days, 12:09, 0 users, load averages: 1.90, 1.99, 1.97

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.