Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-06-08, 14:03   #100
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

26×131 Posts

Just a note: Mike started this thread ~6 years ago. While not horribly long in our lives, it has elicited discussion every year since.

I podcast that I listen to about space dedicated their weekly episode to discussing the current race situation. The hosts are 3 white guys and their audience is >90% and mainly dudes. They called upon their listeners to lean into involvement.

I suspect that the routine users of this forum are greater than 50% 'white' and over 80% male. It might do us well if those of us that are either to recruit our online friends, academic/tech coworkers, classmates, etc. to come to the forum. Those that are instructors, we could use young and diverse brains (i.e. students.)

As the old joke goes, on the internet no one knows you are a dog. But, we would benefit from people mentioning that they are female or non-white. It would help break the automatic preception that an anon avatar or username is a male. On this board we have/had some people of Asian and South Asian descent.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-08, 18:03   #101
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Just a note: Mike started this thread ~6 years ago. While not horribly long in our lives, it has elicited discussion every year since.

I podcast that I listen to about space dedicated their weekly episode to discussing the current race situation. The hosts are 3 white guys and their audience is >90% and mainly dudes. They called upon their listeners to lean into involvement.

I suspect that the routine users of this forum are greater than 50% 'white' and over 80% male. It might do us well if those of us that are either to recruit our online friends, academic/tech coworkers, classmates, etc. to come to the forum. Those that are instructors, we could use young and diverse brains (i.e. students.)

As the old joke goes, on the internet no one knows you are a dog. But, we would benefit from people mentioning that they are female or non-white. It would help break the automatic preception that an anon avatar or username is a male. On this board we have/had some people of Asian and South Asian descent.

Jewish as well. Have you had a swastika painted on your church recently?
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-08, 18:18   #102
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

26×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Jews come in a wide spectrum of colors. Those that lived in northern Europe and later North America are generally seen as 'white skinned' (although some 'crypto-Jews' in Mexico look darker. There are the Sephardim. And then there are those that got airlifted to Israel from Africa.

When you use your real name, people may be able to guess. But, not always. Would would think that a kid with the last name Garcetti would be half Jewish and half Mexican-American.
Old 2020-06-10, 08:36   #103
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

22·3·7·112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Aspies and others on the spectrum come in for a lot of verbal stick too.

Luckily physical attacks are extremely rare, but psychological and emotional bullying is common. I've witnessed "you/he/she/they (delete as applicable) have Asperger's" used as an insult. The word "autistic" is often used in a perjorative sense.

Sorry, been under a lot of strain recently and need to vent.

Pace Uncwilly: Like Jews it can be very hard to identify Aspies from their appearance. The only one I can think of (other than those who have come out of the closet) was Peter Montgomery.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2020-06-10 at 08:38 Reason: Add last para.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-11, 01:56   #104
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Aspies and others on the spectrum come in for a lot of verbal stick too.

Luckily physical attacks are extremely rare, but psychological and emotional bullying is common. I've witnessed "you/he/she/they (delete as applicable) have Asperger's" used as an insult. The word "autistic" is often used in a perjorative sense.

Sorry, been under a lot of strain recently and need to vent.

Pace Uncwilly: Like Jews it can be very hard to identify Aspies from their appearance. The only one I can think of (other than those who have come out of the closet) was Peter Montgomery.
My ex. Claudia Spiro
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-11, 02:16   #105
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

26·131 Posts

The book that started this thread (10th anniversary edition) is on Audible FWIW.
Old 2020-06-16, 18:15   #106
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,849 Posts

Southern Comfort

And I'm sure that the South would have eliminated slavery on their own if there were no war...

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2020-06-16 at 21:47 Reason: cleaned url
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-16, 21:49   #107
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

20C016 Posts

Here is a link to the original of the above. It has a partial pay wall.
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/200...thern-comfort/
Note that is a 19 year old review/discussion
Old 2020-06-18, 02:45   #108
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

26C616 Posts
Default The US’s jaywalking laws target people of colour. They should be abolished -Arwa Mahdawi

From The Guardian Op Eds. ( Yes I know Guardian is a creature of MI6, and blah blah blah.)
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...d-be-abolished
Quote:
Being black in the US is no walk in the park. Indeed, as recent viral videos have made blindingly clear, being black means having to worry about having the police called on you just for being in a park. It means having to worry about the police arresting you for walking in your own neighbourhood.

Police in Tulsa, Oklahoma, made headlines this week when they violently detained two teenage African American boys, and arrested one, for walking down a quiet street that didn’t have a pavement. When one of the teenagers asked what they had done wrong, he was told: “You were jaywalking; you broke the law.”

But why is jaywalking even against the law? There is no such offence in much of Europe, including in the UK – although Ken Livingstone apparently proposed making jaywalking illegal while he was mayor of London. In the US, however, you can get a hefty fine and even go to jail for it.
This essentially is the "crime" which resulted in Michael Brown's execution. "Get the fuck on the sidewalk!"
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-21, 01:37   #109
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

332110 Posts

As I understand it, the term "jaywalking" arose when motorized street traffic became common. At the time, the US was still largely rural. The term "Jay" was a common pejorative for an ignorant, unsophisticated, or stupid person. So people -- especially rural folk, deemed ignorant of urban ways -- who carelessly stepped into traffic were called "jaywalkers." Jaywalking was made an offense because enough people were getting injured and killed from jaywalking to make it a problem worth addressing with a law.

Nowadays, with cars being faster than in the early days, most people are more careful about stepping into traffic. Jaywalking ordinances might be viewed as vestigial. However, with the number of people texting or talking on mobile phones and simply not paying attention, they might become more relevant.

As to sidewalks, the usual rule is, if there is no sidewalk, pedestrians should walk at or near the edge of the roadway, facing traffic. That way, they can see cars coming at them and get out of the way.

Jaywalking is generally not punishable legally by more than a fine (though particularly egregious cases are punishable by death from being struck by a motor vehicle). Often police will let jaywalkers off with a warning, rather than issuing a citation. Jaywalking While Black, however, is punishable by summary execution by law officers.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-21, 02:13   #110
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·7·709 Posts

Quote:
Jaywalking While Black, however, is punishable by summary execution by law officers
Or at least harassment and maybe charges if you are a Black Woman Professor, on campus, against whom the Campus Cops decided to make spurious accusations.
I have not tried to recover accounts of this incident, but I remember. Some of the details would make good search terms.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-06-21 at 02:16
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote