Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2012-06-09, 14:04   #45
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

32·103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Windoze does not offer any kind of support for a "compose" key. I am quite sure of this, being from an east-European country, I always was in need for "strange accent" characters. We have ă, î, â, ş, ţ, etc in our language, and there was a time when it was difficult, almost impossible, to get them on the screen (that is why Windows 3.2 for Central European Countries was created, which in fact was just Windows 3.1 with diacritics).
Modern versions of Microsoft Office include extensive character/symbol sets in numerous typefaces, and you have four ways of inputting them: by using the ALT key + a 3-digit ASCII combination; by using the ALT key + a 4-digit Unicode combination; by using the [CTRL key] + [a character that stands in for the diacritical mark] + [the character that carries that mark]; or by clicking on Symbol and then selecting the desired complete character.

Of these four methods, the first two (using the ASCII or Unicode sets) are available throughout Windows, while the other two are specific to Office. (This distinction is the reason why I made that comment to Dubslow.) However, the ASCII route gives you much more limited options, as you found out way back in Windows 3.1.

You can also program series of keystrokes to render characters or symbols that don't have ASCII or Unicode equivalents and you don't feel like looking them up in the character set every time you need them. For example, when working on my chess notebooks, if I need a bishop figurine, I can either mouse up to Symbol, click on it, scroll around to select a chess typeface, mouse down to the bishop, and click on it every single time it's needed. Or I can do that once and then associate it with the sequence ALT+F2+B (my selection) so that I can just do that whenever I need a bishop. ALT+F2+Q for a queen, and so on.

I imagine that this, too, is possible in LibreOffice? That you can install a new font (say, a TrueType chess font such as DiagramTTFritz, without going through a lot of conversion contortions) and then create macros to render the symbols with just a few keystrokes?

Rodrigo
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 14:10   #46
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
I imagine that this, too, is possible in LibreOffice? That you can install a new font (say, a TrueType chess font such as DiagramTTFritz, without going through a lot of conversion contortions) and then create macros to render the symbols with just a few keystrokes?
I dunno.

Google? The goal is to be able to replace (and hopefully/eventually usurp) MOffice, so presumably yes, but I don't know how in either MO or LO.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 14:11   #47
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

32·103 Posts
Default Strange message

By the way, last night I got notification that a new message was posted in this thread, but clicking on the link in the e-mail took me to this:

Is this another creation by Xyzzy , or should I be worried? I'm leaning toward the former, but keeping fingers crossed...

Rodrigo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mersenne Troll.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	8114  
Old 2012-06-09, 14:16   #48
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

22·3·7·67 Posts

Quote:
By the way, last night I got notification that a new message was posted in this thread, but clicking on the link in the e-mail took me to this:

Is this another creation by Xyzzy , or should I be worried? I'm leaning toward the former, but keeping fingers crossed...
I thought the message was clear. An update was in progress. There is no drama here (except, perhaps, for the lack of punctuation by troll 3).
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 14:16   #49
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

160658 Posts
Default PS

For the last week or so, notifications on new posts for me has been slightly flaky as well, though only slightly. Sometimes a thread will highlight as new, but when I click the last post is a post I read the day before; a few times when I clicked newpost, it actually skipped a few posts that I hadn't previously seen.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 15:01   #50
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

32·103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I thought the message was clear.
Nuh-uh, not here! From my perspective, put together (1) a normal notice of a new posting with (2) an unexpected and (3) weirdly written message that (4) intercepted the thread link and which (5) talked about "security" -- and alarm bells started going off.

Rodrigo
Old 2012-06-09, 17:31   #51
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

237218 Posts

Quote:
Nuh-uh, not here! From my perspective, put together (1) a normal notice of a new posting with (2) an unexpected and (3) weirdly written message that (4) intercepted the thread link and which (5) talked about "security" -- and alarm bells started going off.
I understand your concern but that's the way trolls are and you either have to put up with it or petition Mike to sack the trolls and replace them with someone else. Given that the trolls do a good job, by and large, and do so at extremely low cost I doubt you'll have much success. After all, a job which pays peanuts tends to get done by monkeys so replacing the trolls is probably not a good idea.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 18:51   #52
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

32·103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I understand your concern but that's the way trolls are and you either have to put up with it or petition Mike to sack the trolls and replace them with someone else. Given that the trolls do a good job, by and large, and do so at extremely low cost I doubt you'll have much success. After all, a job which pays peanuts tends to get done by monkeys so replacing the trolls is probably not a good idea.

Rodrigo
Old 2012-06-12, 16:34   #53
joblack

Oct 2008
n00bville

72510 Posts

The free Microsoft Security Essentials works fine for me.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 17:57   #54
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

10110010000002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The free Microsoft Security Essentials works fine for me.
Microsoft Security Essentials seems to be a pretty lightweight antivirus and effective most of the time. I have never personally had a virus with it. School had loads with it however they also did with both Norton and AVG.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 17:23   #55
debrouxl

Sep 2009

977 Posts

In serious comparisons of AV software:
* all programs, paid or for no fee, are severely defective and ineffective (not to mention inefficient) - the choice is between bad programs, and worse programs;
* Microsoft Security Essentials is usually one of the least efficient programs. Microsoft's AV software cannot be on par with others, lest they're willing to let themselves subject to anti-trust scrutiny.

It was pretty enlightening to watch what VirusTotal had to say about the several virus I removed from neighbors'/relatives' computers over years. Needless to say, I had to find the virus myself, through other methods (e.g. msconfig, ProcessExplorer, fsbl) - the AV software installed on the computers themselves didn't find anything wrong with the computers...

The entire AV software industry is a scam. For users, the only sane choice is not to use paid AV software. Indeed, no-fee AVs have a major advantage over paid AVs: users don't get constantly milked for updates to software that doesn't protect them...
debrouxl is offline   Reply With Quote