mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2016-11-09, 17:17   #1
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22·2,539 Posts
Default Where Will YOU Go To Flee Trumplandia?

A friend, who gets rather excited at times, started email bombarding me last night with things like,
"Get Out While You Still Can!!!!!". He does not think the US will be safe for LBGTQ people. When I told him that we already talk about Mexico City as a place to live, he said that might not be far enough.

At that point, I asked him, "So where are we to go? Costa Rica? Kinda pricey, I think.
A female friend spent a few years in Ecuador, and loved it,
[HEAVY SARCASM] but Ecuador is not exactly LGBTQ friendly. [/HEAVY SARCASM]
We loved the Philippines, but a monster is now running the place.
Brazil is totally Batsh!t just now.
Canada, except for Vancouver, is probably a bit cold for my taste. I suspect, without research, that Vancouver might be a bit costly, as well. However, Canada may not be near as cold by the end of King Trump's reign.

So where would you go, if it became a survival issue to get out of the US?

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2016-11-09 at 17:20
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 17:38   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1058710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Not go there in the first place.

With the edit s/US/UK/ my honest answer would have to be: anywhere that would have me. Would-be survivors can't afford to be too choosy.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 17:53   #3
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

224078 Posts

Quote:
Canada, except for Vancouver, is probably a bit cold for my taste. I suspect, without research, that Vancouver might be a bit costly, as well.
To answer seriously...

Victoria, BC, Canada (the Capital of British Columbia) is much less expensive than Vancouver. Near to Victoria (on Vancouver Island; Saanich or Sooke for example) is even less expensive.

Great Asian food; very pot and LBGTQ friendly. Remember that Canadians cross the road to get to the middle.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 18:13   #4
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

597210 Posts

Quote:
The Kingdom of Swaziland. But Canada's nice too.
CRGreathouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 20:10   #5
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

455310 Posts

Central Canada; the prairies; especially Saskatchewan.
Granted we can have cold(er) winters but believe it or not our summers are probably better than yours. From about Mid-May to Mid-October we are generally in the 20's to low 30's (oops I mean 70's to 90's) but we do NOT get the stifling humidity; not do we get into the 100's.

No smog; no earthquakes; no tornadoes.

And with global warming (which Trump may be helping along) even our Winters are generally not that bad; by our standards.

Who knows at this rate we may become the vacation capital of the world when the current vacation spots become TOO hot and dry.(I can dream)
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 20:15   #6
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22·2,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
To answer seriously...

Victoria, BC, Canada (the Capital of British Columbia) is much less expensive than Vancouver. Near to Victoria (on Vancouver Island; Saanich or Sooke for example) is even less expensive.

Great Asian food; very pot and LBGTQ friendly. Remember that Canadians cross the road to get to the middle.
That is encouraging. Thank you. Victoria is, in fact, the only bit of Canada in which I have set foot. When I was 9 years old, my family traveled by car from South of Houston to Seattle, for the World's Fair. One of our excursions was a ferry ride across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. We walked through Customs at Victoria, and back onto the ferry to return.

Along the way, we saw small, wooded islands. Some of them had a house and a boat dock. My father, who loved peace and quiet, looked longingly and said, "I want one."
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 20:21   #7
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

9,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
No smog; no earthquakes; no tornadoes.
No lightening strikes. No wildfires?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 20:35   #8
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

29×157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
No lightening strikes. No wildfires?
Not as many as you might think (probably less than California) ....and mostly in the Northern half; granted the most beautiful part but not a lot of people live there unless your life revolves around hunting and fishing.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 20:38   #9
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

32·887 Posts

We have always wanted to live in the southern France/northern Italy/northern Spain area.

Maybe in our next lifetime.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 23:43   #10
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

In another life I might have liked living in a Scandinavian country.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-10, 09:16   #11
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

2×3,191 Posts

Quote:
Germany or the Netherlands (same answer holds for 'get out of the UK'). Rich countries with pretty decent employment opportunities, socially very liberal; undramatic weather, cold winters and reasonably warm summers.

Lisbon if you want somewhere warmer and are willing to trade a lower cost of living for significantly worse employment opportunities.

Last fiddled with by fivemack on 2016-11-10 at 09:18
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote