paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 04:21   #13
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

927510 Posts

Let's confuse them! Use a dash!

Joking apart, the dot used in the poll is misleading/biased, as it is placed lower-than-center and to-the-right (the x also is placed to-the-left, in fact) which makes the dot look ugly.

However I voted for it, as a \cdot or small bullet will look better than the x, make the things more readable, avoid the "vectorial" (why is this underlined in red?) product confusion, etc.

My \(0.02\cdot 100\) pence. Or \(0.02\bullet 100\) ? (this bullet is certainly too big!)

Or \(0.02{\small\bullet} 100\) ? Or \(0.02{\cdot}100\) ?

I think \(2{\cdot}3{\cdot}5\) or \(2\cdot 3\cdot 5\) looks quite ok.

Edit: trying with powers: \(2^3{\cdot}3^2{\cdot}521\) and with bases: \(27_8\cdot 3B_{16}\) --- hehe, you didn't think to multiple bases, did you?

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2016-11-09 at 04:27
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 04:24   #14
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5·1,217 Posts

I find the dot to be too tiny to be seen easily.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 06:24   #15
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×32×521 Posts

Why use the * instead?
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 07:04   #16
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

236548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Why (not) use the * instead?
(Fixed that for you?)
That is the key one uses to multiply, at least on a Windows calculator.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 12:33   #17
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

160658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
(Fixed that for you?)
That is the key one uses to multiply, at least on a Windows calculator.
It suffers the same problem as 'x' for me, which is to say, too big and visually cluttering.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 14:29   #18
BudgieJane

"Jane Sullivan"
Jan 2011
Beckenham, UK

F016 Posts

I was taught that the dot was used for multiplying lines together, as in

Code:
AB.CD=EF.GH
BudgieJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 16:57   #19
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

22×3×883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieJane View Post
I was taught that the dot was used for multiplying lines together, as in

Code:
AB.CD=EF.GH
As was I, though × (note this is the MULTIPLICATION SIGN, U+00D7) not x, LATIN SMALL LETTER X, U+0078) and · (which is MIDDLE DOT, U+00B7) were considered equivalent ways of representing the multiplication operator.

I believe that '*' came into use because back in the good old days considerations of mechanical complexity and the expense of storage almost mandated a limited character set (APL being the obvious exception) and '*' was used to remove ambiguity with the decimal point --- does 2.5 = 10 or 5/2 ? As almost all the influential computer manufacturers were American (and to a lesser extent British) the use of comma as the decimal point never took off in programming languages of the 50's and 60's.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2016-11-09 at 16:58 Reason: s/example/exception/
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-11, 17:27   #20
Raman
Noodles

"Mr. Tuch"
Dec 2007
Chennai, India

3·419 Posts

18 votes versus 15 votes.
As like table tennis score.

In my humble opinion, poll could also have * as an option.
Although that symbol option appears to be more artificial to me.

I voted for × option since it is the most natural.
Although some people prefer X for multiplication operation.
⋅ has got its own special meaning - decimal point.
Although ⋅ is different from .
Although it is indeed confusing - similarly to that of Icelandic language Þ symbol against Latin language P symbol.

Code:
Thorn and Wynn were earlier English letters - dropped out.
& was a letter in 27th place, a combination of letters e and t.

Thorn actually looked like a Y, not P.
Although Icelandic language adopts P, not Y.
How do I know? Because I had played Scrabble game in my own iPad in very many languages.

iPad - iPod - iPaid - iPoid.
iPad bought 8 December 2012 Sunday, at Mylapore Vivek's shop - Chennai city at all - Madras town.
iPod is more like in song player - at all like in.
iWatch is next generation.

Cut, copy, paste option should have long history. iPhone stores away 20 steps - 20 steps long history.
There is also Web Site Page Browser History and Google Bookmarks.

Google Bookmarks stores address place proper and clear names of
marked stars in to Google Maps.

Microsoft Maps is inaccurate.
It had difficulty and trouble locating our own house address for the first time located in to deeper streets from main road.

Order of points in to post prepared draft needs to be sorted away in to correct and accurate order.
There are several ways to obfuscate with extraneous text: White colour in to background, Pale turquoise colour in to quote tags and code tags, tiny font size, quote tags, code tags to avoid distractions.
Although the quote tags and code tags does not support other tags and of an other people and text indenting and text formatting in side of them like in to at all!

Although = Albeit? What does it actually mean? What is the difference between these two words?
Not giving importance to bothering types of things not making with much of significant difference like in to at all away - away!

Not giving importance to bothering types of things already mentioned away like in to at all - away!

AFK = Away From Keyboard?
Missed out points carried away in to next post especially if whether editing period of active post time expires away.

Lesser important points - types of things - bury deep in to quote tags and code tags like in to at all away - away!
There is limit up on number of points and points per para graph - types of things - in to quote tags and code tags like in to at all away - away!

Name by using one letter - are used up with at all - up with at all!
Skip away up with problematic letters - are used up with at all - up with at all!

Some forums should not care too much about off topic posts.
Should take some thing like puzzles, etc. and then so on.

Etc. = etcetera = End of thinking capacity.
Some users too lazy enough to capitalize first letters of sentences, proper nouns, I, etc. and then so on?

Quote tag and code tag has got fixed column width, if not and whether fixed row width, it seems.
It would be have got - not suits and applies - not seems and appears - types of things - in to quote tags and code tags like in to at all away - away!
I was away from mersenne forum for 10 to 15 days period of time away because my own laptop in which prepared draft exists away had Wi Fi internet connection down. Prepared draft in to progress.

More in to follow.
Very much. Much more.

That will give me period of time to put away an end to all those fuming junk and exploding garbage - extraneous text.

And in to controlling and satisfying away - types of things - in to quote tags and code tags like in to at all away - away!

Or not?
And avoiding called as, not also known as, key words.

Key pads. Or not?
Lock holes. And avoiding not?

Quote tags and code tags and other tags of an other people can be used as point break and line separator. Or not?

Post prepared drafts one by one or in one shot.
Accumulate prepared drafts in to one file or in multiple files.

It is a usual practice and business in to completing away 3 types of things out of 5 types of things.
Is mersenne forum dull without me or bright without me - I see that many of people's posts are being dumb enough of an other people.

Tell a word starting with letter N - engine. (Joke!)
By the way, why it is specified as joke drum?

Or not?
And avoiding called as, not also known as, key words.

Key pads. Or not?
Lock holes. And avoiding not?

Code:
Typer Shark and Deluxe - rate and level limit - clue do and clue do - play and game match logic sport puzzle tourney tournament.

Typing Speed and Velocity measurement - rate and level limit - clue do and clue do - play and game match logic sport puzzle tourney tournament.

It would be good enough if Unicode characters are fixed first two bits and then Huffman coding algorithm word lengths and sizes for commonly used words are used up with at all - up with at all!
Microsoft Word shows word count less - are grep used up with at all - up with at all!
Mersenne forum character count frequently often would be good enough showing away!

Rather than = instead of?
Size = length? In MATLAB programming code / GNU Octave language - size returns with in a two dimensional matrix always exactly only certainly, but not only, let not alone, length returns with in a one dimensional vector always exactly only certainly, namely - not - not!
Cause = effect?

An other people forum - edit post not double post.
Title does not have formatting and indenting aligning tags - code and quote tags!
Delete option not available in to post - subject in to availability cases!

Use text editor - rather than instead of directly post alternatively!
Attachment names have got some rules and regulations.
Attachment names have got some three letter names.

Name by using one letter - are used up with at all - up with at all!
Skip away up with problematic letters - are used up with at all - up with at all!
Each colour, tag, font size, chess notation, notion symbol, sign, signal, smiley, emotion, emoticon has got its own special meaning!

Notation = notion?
Note = notice?

What does it actually mean? What is the difference between these two words?

Code:
By using each colour and different symbol does mean has got its own unique meaning, -do- you know?

Text colour and back ground colour!

Symbol and punctuation!

Not much colours are being available!

Fuzzy logic!

Darker colours for text colours and lighter colours for back ground colours!

Same text colour and font size carried over in to next para graph, next and adjacent.

Wondering if we will what ever be able to use with user defined smileys and emoticons - emotions!

Or images of different size and each size!
Main text, quote tag - code tag text sequence akin - analogous in to vowel - consonant sequence!
Onset - Coda.

0 consonant sequence - series.
0 vowel sequence - series.

Sequence.
Series.

Vs = versus?
Pair away - types of things - in to quote tags and code tags like in to at all away - away!

Code:
Two times - of messages of mail address from of sent mails from account ID.
One time - of messages of mail address from of sent mails from account ID.

Two places - of messages of mail address from of sent mails from account ID.
One space - of messages of mail address from of sent mails from account ID.
Main text = Prepared draft.
Quote tags - code tags text = Cut, copy, paste option.

Need to be able to be capitalize away with first letter of tags - arguments.
Does not matter - never mind.

Types of things - in to quote tags and code tags like in to at all away - away!

Code:
Mersenne Forum posts to be kept in file synchronization; Qolsys sending mails accounts not!
But any way it is not possible to do so with special features!
60 seconds limit period of time existing away - exactly away in between - intermediate mersenne forum posts.
Except for moderators.

There had been many variations of this rule - regulation in to past history.
Multiple times.

Number of - amount of.
History - Hi$tory.

Code:
Traveller - traveler.
Referrence - reference.

Afraid - afarid - afriad.
Afridi - afridi - afridi.

Fear - scared - frightened - afraid - panicky - giddy.
Scared - sacred.

Sacred heart matriculation higher secondary school.
Sacred thread ceremony.

Higher secondary school - senior secondary school.
State board - matriculation - central board of secondary education - national open school - national institute of open schooling - indian certificate of secondary education.

Does not matter - never mind.
For younger classes standard. Only matters for older classes standard.
One reasonable post followed away by using one erratic post.

Errand - errant - erratic.
Total fraud game by Arvind (Clue do played game) - Total errant game by Raman (Clue do played game).

Xyzzy name does not appear at bottom of page if he views a mersenne forum thread or post.
His name is blue in spite of being forum owner.
He does not visible in to be being active in to mersenne forum for most period of time.

More to follow.
Very much. Much more.

More in to follow.
Very much. Much more.

No rush - no hurry.
No haste - no necessity.

Good enough. Interesting enough.
Necessary enough. Sufficient enough.

Last fiddled with by Raman on 2016-11-11 at 18:25
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-11, 17:46   #21
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

11100001101012 Posts

I'm quite surprised that 1) this has gotten 30 votes way down here at the bottom of the front page and 2) they're almost exactly evenly split

I propose that much like non-factoring is randomly chosen from time to time, the choice of separator also be randomly chosen, presumably with even 50% odds of each.

Maybe a few months of half-having the superior choice used will convince all the people who are wrong that they're wrong

(And I also repropose that a space is added between the separator and the separatees)

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2016-11-11 at 17:47
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-12, 02:36   #22
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

52·7·53 Posts

Dubslow: Agree. Like in my \(2^3\cdot 3\cdot 5\)
xilman: and yes, we knew that eks is not eks but multiplication you plus zero zero whatever, we only used x for commodity of typing.
retina: agree that the dot shown in the poll is too small (and much to the right, as viewed from this part of the world), that is why we used/suggested \cdot (and as I said, that is why we consider the poll biased toward the x which is not x.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2016-11-12 at 02:37
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote