mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2013-05-04, 01:51   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66618 Posts
Default This thread, annoying as it is

This thread, annoying as it is, reminds me of an experience I had years ago in a Baptist Sunday school class.

They were talking about how God was infinite, and I asked,"How infinite is he?" They giggled and said,"You can't define infinity, it's undefinable." So then I gave the well known example of all the decimal expansions between all the counting numbers. Then I asked,"Where does God's infiniteness fall? Even if we can't exceed Him, there has to be some sort of definable limit."

That's probably one of the reasons I never made any friends at that church. I believe God is logical, among His other traits, so being who I am I try to seek logic when apparent contradictions come up. But a lot of Christians I meet simply avoid the hard questions, which makes me question whether they have actual faith in God.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 05:36   #2
firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

13·181 Posts

This is what faith is.
Belief without proof... like superstition.
And I'll try to not mention the subject in this thread anymore.
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 12:05   #3
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
But a lot of Christians I meet simply avoid the hard questions, which makes me question whether they have actual faith in God.
And this does Christianity a great disservice, as it seemingly reduces very important tenets of the faith to mere "magic tricks" never to be questioned on pain of eternity in Hell.

Young Earth Creationism (because Hubble is a tool of the devil and God could never have been behind a Big Bang), all peoples and races mysteriously cropping up from Adam, Eve, and Abel, answering a child's question "why is the sky blue or the grass green" with "because they're God's favorite colors" instead of properly explaining the Scientist's work...the list goes on and on. Ooh, I almost forgot...adaptation of living beings to their surroundings is a miracle from Heaven, not that "evolutionary response" mumbo jumbo. Because an intelligent God would never permit living beings to evolve needed functions, skills, or traits when He could wave his magic wand!

Here's another really fun question for your congregation: What really will go on in Heaven in the afterlife? I mean, surely after generations of ever-improving life, leisure, and technology upon the earth, it's all going to come down to 2^57,885,161-1 years of sitting in the clouds with an ill-fitting pair of wings and a halo, singing bad renditions of Southern gospel until our voices give out. No need to eat, sleep, or search for Mersenne primes anymore...really? That's Heaven? Raise this point, and see how quickly you and your blasphemous soul are encouraged to find another sanctuary.

But I've gone off topic quite enough here...
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 12:16   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×3×13×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
What really will go on in Heaven in the afterlife?
Well of course one shall be permitted to bask in the glory of god for ever and ever. And also one shall be permitted to eternally give thanks to god for allowing them to exist. What else could one want from life other than to be continually thankful for their existence? Doing anything else is purely a distraction from the task of being sycophantic towards god and should be avoided upon pain of death going to hell. What else could possibly give one more pleasure than saying "thank you god" 10000 times per day?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 13:07   #5
firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

13×181 Posts

Listening Slayers... as you know, God listen to slayers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GodListensToSlayer.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	9719  
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 15:12   #6
c10ck3r

Aug 2010
Kansas

547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
What else could possibly give one more pleasure than saying "thank you god" 10000 times per day?
Beer. Beer is good.
And Dr. Pepper. That's good, too.
Oh, and bacon.
So...well, that's three things...
c10ck3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 16:34   #7
Puzzle-Peter

Jun 2009

3×223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
Listening Slayers... as you know, God listen to slayers.
So that's why he ordered their guitar player back rather early?
Puzzle-Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 19:56   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

2·712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10ck3r View Post
Beer. Beer is good.
And Dr. Pepper. That's good, too.
Oh, and bacon.
So...well, that's three things...
All good things come to an end.

Apart from sausages.

They come to two.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 21:22   #9
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

52·192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
Here's another really fun question for your congregation: What really will go on in Heaven in the afterlife?
According to Leonard Cohen (a Buddhist), "...and the place is dead as Heaven on a Saturday night...."

Some like him; some don't....
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 07:33   #10
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

5·7·283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
According to Leonard Cohen (a Buddhist), "...and the place is dead as Heaven on a Saturday night...."

Some like him; some don't....
I've had the honor to hear him in person twice.

More on Leonard over in the Muzak thread.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 18:39   #11
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2×17×67 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_Infinite
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote