mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2012-07-19, 08:29   #1
JamesGardiner

Jul 2012

23 Posts
Default Having a bit of trouble setting up

I recently got a new laptop (windows 64-bit) and I decided to try to run Prime95 on it. I have managed to get it to run on my old laptop (32-bit) for about a year now. My old one is running prime version 26, my new one I am trying to get on version 27. However, when I extracted the files from the zip folder, there was no worktodo.txt. This seemed wrong, but I went on anyway. I ran the application, but it is just saying 'No work to do at persent time. Waiting' on both worker windows. If anyone can help me or give me the format for the worktodo.txt file so I can make a new one and just do manual testing, that would be great. Just tell me if any further info is required.
JamesGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 10:00   #2
axn

Jun 2003

13×192 Posts

sounds like you unzipped it into a different folder? if so, just copy the executable to the old folder (overwriting the previous exe) and you should be in business. oh, stop and quit the previous one if it is running.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 10:02   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×11×397 Posts

Can't you connect to the net? It would be much simpler. Just click on "Test/Primenet/Use the server to get work and report results", check it, give a name for the user and computer, click ok. Then go to the "Test/Worker windows" and specify preferred work type. Then connect it to the net, put it in a cooler place, and forget it open with no other daily use for few years

If you are talking about recovering old work, then the worktodo is not so useful, more useful would be the temporary files (checkpoints). The worktodo everybody here can make it for you, if you say the expos and the work type you were doing on them.

You can recover the expos from the primenet page, login there and look for your assignments. There are tips on the forum about how to recover the (secret) assignment keys, but they are not necessary for completion of the tasks. If you have no temporary files, you can do nothing to recover the (partial) work done on those expos. Do it like in my first paragraph to get new expos, or say the expos here and one would make a worktodo for you faster.

About the structure of the worktodo you can read on wiki, if you want to do it by yourself.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2012-07-19 at 10:10
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 10:37   #4
axn

Jun 2003

13·192 Posts

Hmmm... I missed the part about old laptop/new laptop thing. Nevermind what I said before.
Old 2012-07-19, 14:44   #5
Jwb52z

Sep 2002

769 Posts

I hope the OP doesn't have the Prime95 program in a location where users aren't allowed to put applications. He should remember to put it in the Users folder under the computer name subfolder, which is usually the best place, or the "My Documents" folder.
Jwb52z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 20:38   #6
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

1C3516 Posts

There is no worktodo.txt in the zip file because Prime95 is designed to get work from the PrimeNet server. You can do this as LaurV said.

(What would we put in the worktodo.txt in the zip file? Then everyone who downloaded Prime95 would be working on the same job, and the whole point of ditributed computing is to avoid doing duplicate work.)
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 07:11   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·11·397 Posts

That was my first understanding too, that is why the first paragraph of my post above. At a second thought, he may mean the zip HE MADE HIMSELF from the old laptop, to move it to the new laptop (eventually at an earlier date, HW not accessible anymore) where the file was missing or corrupt. That is why the second part of my post above.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 08:43   #8
JamesGardiner

Jul 2012

816 Posts

No no no. All I have done on the new laptop is download version 27. It has never run any other version, and it has no files on it from the old laptop. The reason I am trying to get a worktodo.txt file is because it is not getting any work from the server. It just says something like 'No work to do at this time. Waiting'. It has been 'waiting' for about a day now, and it has got nothing. It is definatly connected to the internet, and prime is running and connecting on my old laptop. So I am either looking for the format of the worktodo.txt so I can make one and put some manual work in there, or a way of getting it to get work from the server, when it is refusing to do so.
Old 2012-07-20, 09:55   #9
axn

Jun 2003

13·192 Posts

Ah! In that case:

Code:
Test > Worker Windows...
Configure how many workers and what type of work.

Then..
Code:
Options > CPU
Configure your daytime/nighttime memory and run hours

Then...
Code:
Test > Primenet...
Check the box. Put in your uname/password, and off you go.
Old 2012-07-21, 13:30   #10
JamesGardiner

Jul 2012

23 Posts

Ok, I'll try that. Also, it may be irrelvant, but everytime I open the prime95 window (having only exited the programe as it isn't working) I have to put in all the stuff that you have to put in when you first start it again, that is, username, computer name, hours it will run, number of workers to run.
EDIT: Tried it. The worker threads are still saying 'No work to do at the present time. Waiting' and the comms thread still says 'ERROR: Unable to open spool file.' 'Unable to open log file'

Last fiddled with by JamesGardiner on 2012-07-21 at 13:33
Old 2012-07-21, 17:00   #11
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGardiner View Post
the comms thread still says 'ERROR: Unable to open spool file.' 'Unable to open log file'
You've never told us that before.

What is often the problem in this case (just a guess) is that you put your Prime95 folder in a spot where Windows won't let it mess with the files. Where is it located ATM?
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote