mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-07-12, 07:58   #892
Nick
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
The Netherlands

22·359 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
We are considering a cruise early 2021 that stops in Barbados
I would keep an eye on Cruise Law News
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-12, 17:30   #893
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

9,311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
We are considering a cruise early 2021 that stops in Barbados
If that happens, please be sure to let me know when you'll be on-island. Hopefully this time I won't be in T&T at the same time you are.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-14, 04:46   #894
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

234138 Posts
Default

Dan and I have talked longingly of cruises. I saw one that stopped at Barbados, even. However, ships and planes are both petri dishes. You're closer together on planes, but you're on a ship a whole lot longer.

We really foresee a resurgence of the virus that will spread out from the insanely open states. Then too, in Chicago you have to mask to go anywhere. We are told by a friend who is down there frequently, that in Downstate Illinois nobody is masking, and they're having 20-25 person birthday parties. People are generally further apart down there due to lower population density. I still cringe at the thought of one asymptomatic but contagious person at such a party. Granted, it was mostly back yard, but people will still congregate in the house.

In any case, our inclinations are to hole up for some extended period.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-07-14 at 04:46
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-14, 21:56   #895
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

9,311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Dan and I have talked longingly of cruises. I saw one that stopped at Barbados, even.
Read you *loud* and clear on your language. The risks must be managed.

No disrespect intended, but I strongly disagree with Barbados now allowing travelers from the "Great" US of A. The first plane-load (repatriation flight) brought in six (6 #) positive cases...

But, if anyone on the forum finds themselves in Barbados in the future, please be sure to let me know. I know places the "tour guides" will never show you (not like that... places where there's lots of hiking involved)!
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 04:21   #896
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

5×1,999 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Read you *loud* and clear on your language. The risks must be managed.

No disrespect intended, but I strongly disagree with Barbados now allowing travelers from the "Great" US of A. The first plane-load (repatriation flight) brought in six (6 #) positive cases...

But, if anyone on the forum finds themselves in Barbados in the future, please be sure to let me know. I know places the "tour guides" will never show you (not like that... places where there's lots of hiking involved)!
I totally agree with your objections. I object to international travel in general under these circumstances. That especially applies to recreational travel.
As Dr. Fauci says, we are still knee-deep in the First Wave, here in the land of lunatics running the asylum. The EU doesn't want Yanks visiting, for many good reasons. Mainly, too many infected people, too little compliance with medical guidance. Chicago wants to enforce a 14 day quarantine on travelers from hot spots. I don't know how they will manage this. Stuff those who refuse on the next plane back to where they came from?
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 12:22   #897
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,463 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
<snip>
As Dr. Fauci says, we are still knee-deep in the First Wave, here in the land of lunatics running the asylum.
<snip>
Dr. who?

He has been depersoned. That is all. It is done.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-16, 02:56   #898
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

5·1,999 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Dr. who?

He has been depersoned. That is all. It is done.
No contradiction here. But he still has Yuugely better ratings than the Cheeto in Chief. @that orange thing.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-17, 15:40   #899
Spherical Cow
 
Spherical Cow's Avatar
 
Nov 2004

72×11 Posts
Default Yes, Happy Me-

I am not happy to have been off of the Forum for a few weeks, but Happy to be recovering and back. With 34,338 miles on my bike odometer, I had my first crash on a commute home from work. Broken hip, broken clavicle, awesome road rash, renewed humility. But, with a brand new hip, the doctor says I should have no problem getting back to biking and hiking and astronomy as usual (returning to math activities was never in doubt).

Happy Me!

Norm
Spherical Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-17, 16:26   #900
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

240038 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Cow View Post
I am not happy to have been off of the Forum for a few weeks, but Happy to be recovering and back. With 34,338 miles on my bike odometer, I had my first crash on a commute home from work. Broken hip, broken clavicle, awesome road rash, renewed humility. But, with a brand new hip, the doctor says I should have no problem getting back to biking and hiking and astronomy as usual (returning to math activities was never in doubt).

Happy Me!

Norm
Welcome back!

Sounds like you have been living in interesting times.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-17, 19:49   #901
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

2·13·331 Posts
Default

Wow, sounds rough.
New hip. That does sound significant. Any bionics?
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-19, 00:08   #902
Spherical Cow
 
Spherical Cow's Avatar
 
Nov 2004

10000110112 Posts
Default

Yes, these were interesting times already, before the bike accident. I smashed up the hip pretty good, so they replaced the ball and socket completely. The ball, along with the stem that goes down inside the femur to secure it, is metal, though I still have to find out exactly what; titanium? steel alloy? Kryptonite? The socket is a composite material including a layer of ceramic, but again, that's on my list of questions for the next visit to the surgeon. I wasn't at my sharpest when they were explaining what they were going to do, and since I was at the hospital that handles most of the Covid patients in this area, SWMBO wasn't allowed to go in the hospital with me. She would have been taking careful notes of all that.

But, as the crash happened, I was aware enough to try to roll on the landing and protect my head, so my head and helmet emerged without the slightest scratch. Given that, and recovery is going well, I'm keeping this in the "Happy Me" thread.
Spherical Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Random Birthdays Thread [Was: Happy Star Wars Day!] ewmayer Lounge 8 2014-05-13 20:44
Happy Odd Day petrw1 PrimeNet 1 2009-05-07 16:31
Happy Holidays Thread Deamiter Lounge 50 2007-12-23 09:54
The Happy Fish thread xilman Hobbies 24 2006-08-22 11:44
Deutscher Thread (german thread) TauCeti NFSNET Discussion 0 2003-12-11 22:12

All times are UTC. The time now is 21:35.

Wed Sep 23 21:35:57 UTC 2020 up 13 days, 18:46, 0 users, load averages: 2.53, 1.98, 1.84

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.