Old 2020-07-12, 23:12   #12
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

23×19×29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Is maintaining such a boat prohibitively more expensive than maintaining an average house.
You haven't indicated any prior sailing experience. I recommend spending at least a few years in a good sailing club to be sure of your sailing skills if you're serious about betting your life on them. They teach lots of things, including how to steer with the sails when the rudder breaks loose, routine maintenance, etc.

Individual sails on boats suitable for large inland lakes cost thousands of dollars each; for ocean boats will be larger and more costly. Depending on boat age and local real estate market, house and ocean boat prices can be comparable. Something suitable for the US great lakes is closer to used-car prices. Depreciation is rapid; pricing I'm stating is for well-used boats. https://www.sailboatlistings.com/

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-07-12 at 23:14
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-13, 01:50   #13
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

76816 Posts

Nice links to fuel my daydreams further.
Thank you.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-13, 04:01   #14
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

52×229 Posts

If your only goal is to avoid paying taxes then a boat is a terrible plan. It will cost you more to service and maintain a good live-in boat than you would pay in tax.

Just move to a place that doesn't have taxes. Problem solved.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-13, 05:25   #15
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

23·3·79 Posts

I think it is a common daydream to sail the seas alone concentrating on projects in isolation between destinations all over the world. Tax savings is just the icing on the cake when you are in international waters and can telecommute or otherwise work online.
BTW I have 0 sailing experience and am definitely too old and out of shape to learn. But I think there is more to it than this. It is a sort of inevitable evolution of technology and circumstances such as COVID-19 which shape the nature of work. 9 to 5 office work will soon be not normal if it isn't already. There is talk of reducing work week to 4 days and so on. Once people see they can work off-office, there is no going back. That just entails all sort of new uncharted grounds such as taxation and living-off-the-grid.
Old 2020-07-13, 18:33   #16
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

23·19·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
BTW I have 0 sailing experience and am definitely too old and out of shape to learn.
I have an uncle who finished building an airplane after turning 90. And was hand splitting firewood last year at 94. How old are you?
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-13, 19:00   #17
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

22·73 Posts

Unfortunately, not everyone can do the same things as another one with the same age. Not even remotely... Yes, one should try, I won't disagree with that.
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-13, 21:28   #18
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

76816 Posts

It's not wise to disclose one's age on the net and I do not like to lie, but let's just say that sometimes I fall asleep on the way to my bed from my living room and I don't live in a mansion or anything like that.

ETA That is a bit of an exaggeration and perhaps a bit of lie, But there is definitely traces of truth in there also.

ETA II:

Rodney Dangerfield
https://youtu.be/70HToRwzDQ0

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2020-07-13 at 21:42
Old 2020-07-14, 04:26   #19
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

97·103 Posts

Quote:
Is maintaining such a boat prohibitively more expensive than maintaining an average house.
J. P. Morgan is alleged to have replied to a fellow banker's question about the costs of having a yacht, "If you have to ask you couldn't afford it," or something similar.
You should also give serious thought to sea-worthiness if you plan on sailing the seven seas. There's a lot of open water out there. Not being cute. Just the Atlantic and Pacific pose great challenges. If you are going to hug coasts, aren't you then confined to one hemisphere: Eurasia or the Americas?
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-14, 05:42   #20
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

23×3×79 Posts

This experiment proved that you could cross the Pacific ocean on primitive but ingeniously designed rafts:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kon-Tiki_expedition

You could use their design evolution in modern boats if you are really looking for seaworthy vessels:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catamaran
But my daydream is happy if it hugs the eastern coast of Americas for now. But then again I wouldn't mind sailing to my ancestral lands in Azerbaijan and Armenia. The Caspian Sea is actually a lake but I think there are canals joining it to the oceans somewhere.
Old 2020-07-14, 08:20   #21
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2×32×569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
If you are going to hug coasts, aren't you then confined to one hemisphere: Eurasia or the Americas?
Not if you don't mind some cold weather.

It's only a short hop from Wales to Наукан via Diomede.

Added in edit: Africa is easily accessible from Eurasia, as is Australasia.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2020-07-14 at 08:23
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 00:50   #22
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

11·103 Posts

After having been General Manager of a tugboat company for 18 years before I retired, I can assure you that a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw a lot of money.
richs is offline   Reply With Quote