S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

3×577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
Après moi le deluge ?
Don’t you feel any responsibility for your acts ?

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-17, 19:25   #57
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Après moi le deluge ?
Don’t you feel any responsibility for your acts ?

Jacob
I would if I started a wildfire or did anything of that magnitude to affect the climate.

As mentioned before, an average person's lifetime CO2 emissions is equivalent to about a second of global emissions. Feeling responsibility or guilt for driving a gas guzzler, eating steak, running a bitcoin mining farm, etc. is like feeling bad for spitting in the middle of the ocean. It technically does make a difference, but it's too insignificant to matter.
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-17, 19:36   #58
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

10,861 Posts

Quote:
I would if I started a wildfire or did anything of that magnitude to affect the climate.

As mentioned before, an average person's lifetime CO2 emissions is equivalent to about a second of global emissions. Feeling responsibility or guilt for driving a gas guzzler, eating steak, running a bitcoin mining farm, etc. is like feeling bad for spitting in the middle of the ocean. It technically does make a difference, but it's too insignificant to matter.
Do you vote in democratic elections?

If so, why?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-17, 19:44   #59
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100110110000012 Posts

Using that kind of logic, it does not make sense for anyone to search for an Mprime, because our contribution is too small to find a prime in 100 years. But, taken in the collective we can find more primes than all others.

1 person screaming for police reform might not make an impact. But, the collective action of thousands can make an impact. What can one soldier with a gun do, not much. Thousands storming a beach together can do so much.

Revolutions are based upon collective individual actions.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-17, 19:47   #60
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3·3,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post

If so, why?
And how large or small of an election is your limit? You as the sole voter? Ten people voting? 100 voters? 10000 voters? 1,000,000 voters? 100,000,000 voters?
Old 2021-07-17, 19:57   #61
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·31·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
GenericAnnoyingReporter: Hi, and welcome back the this exciting election coverage. Currently the results show a tied result for all six candidates.
GenericAnnoyingReporter: Oh wait, this just in, there is still one voter that hasn't cast a vote.
GenericAnnoyingReporter: And we have MooMoo2 here with us, the last person yet to vote. Hi how are your today?
MooMoo2: Who TF are you?
GenericAnnoyingReporter: The whole world is watching this election for who becomes the next world domination leader. You are the last person to vote. It all hinges upon your vote!
MooMoo2: Bah, go away. No one's vote is important, It makes no difference what I do.
GenericAnnoyingReporter: But, it's just you left, you can decide who gets to be the next world dictator!!
MooMoo2: Nonsense. I'm just one person. Anyhow, I've gotta go now and drive my Hummer 32 seater with just me alone to the gym in the next city and work on my biceps to 10 minutes.
GenericAnnoyingReporter: Don't you care about anything? What world will you leave for your children?
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-17, 20:19   #62
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Using that kind of logic, it does not make sense for anyone to search for an Mprime, because our contribution is too small to find a prime in 100 years. But, taken in the collective we can find more primes than all others.
That reasoning is flawed.

If I test a candidate, there's at least a small chance that the number I'll test will be prime. But if I choose to buy a Hummer instead of a Tesla, there's absolutely no chance that my decision will have any kind of meaningful impact on the climate.
Old 2021-07-17, 22:09   #63
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

10,861 Posts

Quote:
That reasoning is flawed.

If I test a candidate, there's at least a small chance that the number I'll test will be prime. But if I choose to buy a Hummer instead of a Tesla, there's absolutely no chance that my decision will have any kind of meaningful impact on the climate.
You are carefully avoiding answering my question.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-17, 22:53   #64
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3×3,307 Posts

Quote:
But if I choose to buy a Hummer instead of a Tesla, there's absolutely no chance that my decision will have any kind of meaningful impact on the climate.
If you bought a Tesla Roadster, your environmental impact would have been larger than just decreased emissions from you driving around. Buying the roadster helped start Tesla along. And Tesla has proved that there is a market. That has made the big brands start taking electric serious, Also, that has shown governments that electric is practical. And thus they are moving to end sales of new ICE cars. So, yes, buying a Tesla can have a significant impact.
Old 2021-07-18, 04:30   #65
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
GenericAnnoyingReporter: Hi, and welcome back the this exciting election coverage. Currently the results show a tied result for all six candidates.
GenericAnnoyingReporter: Oh wait, this just in, there is still one voter that hasn't cast a vote.
GenericAnnoyingReporter: And we have MooMoo2 here with us, the last person yet to vote. Hi how are your today?
MooMoo2: Who TF are you?
GenericAnnoyingReporter: The whole world is watching this election for who becomes the next world domination leader. You are the last person to vote. It all hinges upon your vote!
MooMoo2: Bah, go away. No one's vote is important, It makes no difference what I do.
GenericAnnoyingReporter: But, it's just you left, you can decide who gets to be the next world dictator!!
MooMoo2: Nonsense. I'm just one person. Anyhow, I've gotta go now and drive my Hummer 32 seater with just me alone to the gym in the next city and work on my biceps to 10 minutes.
GenericAnnoyingReporter: Don't you care about anything? What world will you leave for your children?
Driving a 32-seater Hummer solo does sound fun, but I'll have to pass on that since finding a parking spot for that vehicle is going to be a big PITA.

Besides, there is no world leader, and most of the regional leaders that are in power aren't elected by popular vote. If you live in New York or California, your vote for President has virtually zero impact since those states are solidly blue. It's a >99.9999......99% certainty that the Democrat candidate will get all of that state's electoral votes regardless of who you vote for. Someone in China has even less of a say in who their leader is, and that country is currently the world's largest CO2 emitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
If you bought a Tesla Roadster, your environmental impact would have been larger than just decreased emissions from you driving around. Buying the roadster helped start Tesla along. And Tesla has proved that there is a market. That has made the big brands start taking electric serious, Also, that has shown governments that electric is practical. And thus they are moving to end sales of new ICE cars. So, yes, buying a Tesla can have a significant impact.
My comparison should have been buying a Prius vs buying a Hummer. You may have been right about the Tesla Roadster, but the average American cannot afford the $200K-250K needed to buy it: https://www.tesla.com/roadster

Last fiddled with by MooMoo2 on 2021-07-18 at 04:43
Old 2021-07-18, 08:32   #66
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

3×577 Posts

Quote:
If you live in New York or California, your vote for President has virtually zero impact since those states are solidly blue. It's a >99.9999......99% certainty that the Democrat candidate will get all of that state's electoral votes regardless of who you vote for.
By this reasoning everybody should stay at home. Those state are "blue", some others are "red", because of individual votes. (Independently of the different problems about elected representation and the different voting systems.)

I hope you are not of the opinion that unless it is YOUR individual action that turns the tables you don't feel any responsibilities...

Jacob

Last fiddled with by S485122 on 2021-07-18 at 08:41 Reason: fiddling... what else ?
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote