mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2007-08-14, 14:47   #1
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

16778 Posts
Default Poisson processes prescription, please?

Does anyone have a good link that explains Poisson processes, in particular compound Poisson processes? I've looked up a few on the web but so far have not found the info I need. I am working with a complex telephone office traffic model to represent traffic flow across two fabrics, one the standard TDM fabric and the second an IP fabric in a mixed model. I'm writing a program to simulate call traffic on same fabric and cross fabric.

I've visited wikipedia and mathworld already.

Thanks,

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 14:54   #2
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Does anyone have a good link that explains Poisson processes, in particular compound Poisson processes? I've looked up a few on the web but so far have not found the info I need. I am working with a complex telephone office traffic model to represent traffic flow across two fabrics, one the standard TDM fabric and the second an IP fabric in a mixed model. I'm writing a program to simulate call traffic on same fabric and cross fabric.

I've visited wikipedia and mathworld already.

Thanks,

Fusion
My old dissertation advisor, Linus Schrage, wrote an excellent book
Bratley, Fox, Schrage, A Guide to Simulation
that covers time-varying Poisson processes. It is an excellent book.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 16:17   #3
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

22·5·11·53 Posts

Here's an amazon.com link to the book Bob mentions:

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Simulati.../dp/0387964673

It's expensive, but it looks like there is no shortage of used copies to be had at reasonable prices. Save the planet ... recycle.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 16:24   #4
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

26·37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
I've worked as a teletraffic engineer for 35 years, originally at Bell Labs.

Are you talking about the situation where the Poisson process depends on a state that is itself a Markov Process - ala Meier-Hellstern and Lucatoni and Neuts? Or perhaps a batch arrival model? Are you having trouble simulating this, or fitting the parameters? And are you sure simulation is the way to go - Neut's Matrix-Geometric methods makes many of these problems tractable analytically, whereas reliable simulation estimates of rare events is a tricky thing.

William
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 01:44   #5
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

7·137 Posts

Wblipp, You are in the ballpark. The problem is that someone wrote an app to simulate traffic flow in an office and I can not accept the mechanism it uses. It is a Poisson algorithm that simulates traffic flow in a multifabric environment. The current algorithm does not allow the granularity that I need to manipulate this office. My job is to balance the traffic across both fabrics and without overloading any of the peripherals handling the traffic. I have to model the traffic by fabric and also by peripheral. I want to write an equivalent algorithm that will simulate traffic by peripheral instead of by fabric. The two are equivalent at the office level, but "the devil is in the details" as they say.

I've made a bit of progress today. Within a week I should have this resolved.

Bob, Thank you for the info on the book. I am going to order a copy. It looks like something I can actually use!

Fusion

Last fiddled with by Fusion_power on 2007-08-15 at 01:44
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 14:20   #6
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

26×37 Posts

Does "balance the traffic" mean that you are more interested in average flow values than in 10-11 blocking or overflow probabilities? Simulation could be an effective method of studying the average flow.

It sounds like you already know that Poisson is an optimistic assumption for everything except first offered voice traffic. Peaked traffic models are preferred for overflow voice traffic, and fractal models seem to fit data traffic best.

Good luck with the project.

William
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote