mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2012-07-17, 00:26   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default Anyone tried using touchscreen with a Dvorak keyboard?

For anyone that knows the history of QWERTY keyboards, you know that they were intentionally made to be inefficient and that there are keyboards out there that cause you to spend way more time on the home row, which would obviously be faster and less strain on the hands and wrists. But nobody uses them because nobody wants to learn a new keyboard arrangement, not even people who type professionally.

Anyway, since touchscreen users don't generally use ten-finger typing to interact with a touchscreen when typing, I'm wondering if anyone has tried to Dvorak or something similar to make typing easier on a touchscreen? I'm thinking either of the one-handed Dvorak setups would be the best to try, assuming I can figure out how to change things over. I use a Sony S tablet by the way. Regular tablet, not clamshell, in case I accidentally used the wrong letter.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 02:09   #2
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1F3016 Posts

Not touchscreen, but we have always wanted to try one:

http://www.infogrip.com/products/key...-keyboard.html
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 03:05   #3
Jaxon

Dec 2011

2·32 Posts

There's the FITALY layout which is supposed to be optimized to minimize the distance traveled for single-finger or stylus input.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 05:16   #4
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

933010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
For anyone that knows the history of QWERTY keyboards, you know that they were intentionally made to be inefficient ...
Oh. Really? That really was the design prinicple?
"If you use QWERTY, the terrorist have won."
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 08:03   #5
sdbardwick

Aug 2002
North San Diego County

2AA16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Oh. Really? That really was the design prinicple
Another myth. It was actually to improve typing speed. Wikipedia has a decent explanation. More details here.

Last fiddled with by sdbardwick on 2012-07-17 at 08:05 Reason: Added additional link
sdbardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 10:27   #6
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts

Dvorak
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 03:28   #7
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbardwick View Post
Another myth. It was actually to improve typing speed.
Kind of a semantic argument, as far as I'm concerned. If you intentionally slow someone down on a manual typewriter, it's less likely the keys will jam, so faster overall.

(Not sure if I used the word semantic right, I'd google it if I were getting a grade)
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 11:40   #8
hamillozaki

Nov 2012

1 Posts

I do not agree with it . I use the qwerty key word myself and i used to type as fast as i used to do with the normal one. One just needs to practice a bit on it and it will be fine.

electric typewriters
hamillozaki is offline   Reply With Quote