mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2012-03-15, 05:04   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts
Default Do I have CUDA running?

sorry about the rant, scroll down to below the dotted line. I'm going to leave the rant because it's so true I'm sick.

I would love to simply run BOINC and have that tell me what my situation is, but since BOINC people love to poop where they eat, I get the joy of having an install that is being interfered with by files in God knows what location on my hard drive from a previous install. How do I know that's the problem? Because that's always the problem when there is one with boinc. The individual projects have the decency to crash or not run at all when something is amiss, but the main BOINC people are the kings of screwups, I would assume because they specialize in the contradicting files aspect of programming. I think the reason they call it BOINC is because after the first install they basically screw you with every subsequent attempt to run boinc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are there DOS or Windows commands(Win 7) that will tell me if CUDA is running? And I mean running in a loose fashion, I'm asking if I can run CUDA code on my graphics card. Even more specifically, I want to run Mersenne Forum projects, at least in the beginning.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 05:11   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

277016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Are there DOS or Windows commands(Win 7) that will tell me if CUDA is running? And I mean running in a loose fashion, I'm asking if I can run CUDA code on my graphics card. Even more specifically, I want to run Mersenne Forum projects, at least in the beginning.
GPU-Z will tell you the card (http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/)
Then check this list http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

That is where I would start.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 05:14   #3
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Note that you don't actually need to install any CUDA anything to run these programs, you only need to have recent nVidia drivers (check Uncwilly's second link). There are .dll files necessary, but those come with mfaktc and CUDALucas, and they are kept in the same directory as the executable, so no farting around with SDKs or any such crap. Try the GPU FAQ in the proper forum.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 01:41   #4
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
GPU-Z will tell you the card (http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/)
Then check this list http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

That is where I would start.
I already know I CAN run the code, but my installation attempts installed stuff that still didn't convince BOINC I had a graphics card that could run CUDA.

More specifically, I'm needing to figure out whether I've installed the drivers properly.

Lastly, I'm willing to do OpenCL stuff if that makes it easier to get to actual work.

Edit: It's not an NVIDIA card, it's an ATI card, so I don't think my card would be listed regardless of whether or not it can run the code.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2012-03-16 at 01:43
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 01:48   #5
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Oh, well there's your problem. CUDA is a proprietary nVidia thing -- nVidia cards only. The only thing we have that runs OpenCL is mfakto, which I don't know as much about. Again, see the PDF in the GPU-FAQ threads in the GPU subforum. It will let you know what you need to run GPU programs.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 00:36   #6
Vinz

Nov 2012

12 Posts
Default Verify CUDA is available, installed and running

If you are still having trouble with the CUDA thing try the [free] program CUDA-Z at http://cuda-z.sourceforge.net/
Vinz is offline   Reply With Quote