Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2021-10-14, 18:54   #34
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

2×5×7×61 Posts

Hello all, I am wanting to start crunching on NPLB and/or CRUS after a few years inactive. Has anything much changed with how to get started? Is PRPNet and LLR a good way to go? Are there any hard-to-find software versions that are better than others? I am using Windows and found that 64-bit 3.8.23 works faster than 32-bit 4.0.0, I'm not sure if anyone has built that for Windows in 64-bit. It also seems odd that 32-bit versions of software are still sometimes easier to find than 64-bit!

I've started by using the PrimeGrid packages to set up 6 PRPnet clients for the 6 core (12 thread) CPU on my desktop, and am eyeing the NPLB port 2000 server which appears to be near the bottom of the Top 5000 list. I'm finishing off a GIMPS assignment, so I have time before I'm 100% on this, and am just wondering if I'm missing anything big.

Also I see so many old friends in these posts, and it makes me glad to see y'all. Hope you've all been well.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-14, 19:19   #35
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

647010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Hello all, I am wanting to start crunching on NPLB and/or CRUS after a few years inactive. Has anything much changed with how to get started? Is PRPNet and LLR a good way to go? Are there any hard-to-find software versions that are better than others? I am using Windows and found that 64-bit 3.8.23 works faster than 32-bit 4.0.0, I'm not sure if anyone has built that for Windows in 64-bit. It also seems odd that 32-bit versions of software are still sometimes easier to find than 64-bit!

I've started by using the PrimeGrid packages to set up 6 PRPnet clients for the 6 core (12 thread) CPU on my desktop, and am eyeing the NPLB port 2000 server which appears to be near the bottom of the Top 5000 list. I'm finishing off a GIMPS assignment, so I have time before I'm 100% on this, and am just wondering if I'm missing anything big.

Also I see so many old friends in these posts, and it makes me glad to see y'all. Hope you've all been well.
Welcome back!

You can find the latest PRPNet at https://sourceforge.net/projects/prpnet/files/. The CRUS servers are still on an old release, but the new clients should be able to communicate with it. You absolutely want to use 64-bit llr.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-14, 19:42   #36
rebirther

Sep 2011
Germany

3,023 Posts

You can also use BOINC for CRUS, primegrid or SRBase.
rebirther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-14, 20:05   #37
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

293D16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post

We are happy to see you back Mini-Geek!

I echo Mark's (rogue's) comments. Although the PRPnet servers are not the very newest they are sufficiently new to accommodate the newest clients. You should be able to use the newest version of LLR within the clients. Also our resident technical expert (AMDave) recently did some upgrades to MySQL on the server machine after we had some technical issues so the processing of work units is faster and cleaner.

Good luck!

Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote