mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2010-01-30, 04:57   #1321
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

12228 Posts

Migration not in progress yet.
There should be no database outage during the migration anyway.
That was an unplanned outage.
I investigated and found the database service was stopped.
I restarted it and it appears to be ok.
Thanks for the heads-up Max.
AMDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 10:56   #1322
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2·5·1,013 Posts

Max,

I did not receive an Email notification for my last 2 primes on port 6000. I got all the ones before that including the 3 that Vaughan found.

Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 16:33   #1323
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Max,

I did not receive an Email notification for my last 2 primes on port 6000. I got all the ones before that including the 3 that Vaughan found.

Gary
I'll email Dave about this.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 06:31   #1324
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×5×1,013 Posts

LLRnet ports 3000 and 5000 are loaded up and ready to go for the 5th and 6th drives.

k=400-800 is at a lower test limit than all of k=800-1400. Come and get 'em!
Old 2010-04-15, 04:23   #1325
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×5×1,013 Posts

I think we have a master of consistency amongst us: ME!

If you check the # of results for the past 3 days on port 5000, you'll see that I did exactly 536 of them in all 3 days. And...at the moment of this post I have 512 of them with 1 hour to go with an almost sure 24 of them that will be processed in the final hour. All of this on a machine that hasn't been touched in nearly a week.

That's pretty good considering some hours get 16 results while a majority of hours get 24 results over the entire time frame.
Old 2010-05-18, 20:14   #1326
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2·5·1,013 Posts

Added port 3500 for our new 6k mini drive.

kar_bon:
This drive is not yet shown at NPLB Progress Report or Recent Results!

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2010-05-19 at 00:04
Old 2010-05-26, 21:56   #1327
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×5×1,013 Posts

Just to let everyone know:

We had a fairly big thunderstorm here today and it caused a ~15-second power blip at my place at ~2:10 PM CDT (7:10 PM GMT). My UPS kicked in to keep the servers going and in looking at the hourly counts, I see no ill effects except to my own. But just in case, you might make sure that you don't have any clients that are hanging. The last time that I had an outage, even though the UPS kept the power going to the servers, my internet connection was knocked out for some reason, even though the modem/router are also connected to the UPS. But that was a 40 minute outage so apparently everything came through OK with the small blip this time.

My goal is no more than 1-2 "true" outages to the servers per year (other than quick temporary things like reloading servers and rebooting the machine for periodic updates that require a restart, all of which should rarely last more than 3-5 mins.). Since I've gotten the UPS and a business-class account, there's only been 1 outage in 4-5 months so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2010-05-26 at 22:07
Old 2010-05-26, 22:06   #1328
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2·5·1,013 Posts

Max,

The above reminds me: I need to shut down the server machine and blow some dust off of the CPU fan. Also, I thought there were some updates that it needed a restart on although it doesn't appear to show that right now. The fan looks fairly dusty and I think the clients could be running a little faster. Can we coordinate a time for me to do that? After bringing it back up, since we have such a wide variety of servers including the newer PRPnet 3.2.6 servers, it would probably be better if you restarted them all.

I don't have time right now but could do it after 10 PM CDT tonight. Let me know what works for you.

Gary
Old 2010-05-27, 02:33   #1329
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Max,

The above reminds me: I need to shut down the server machine and blow some dust off of the CPU fan. Also, I thought there were some updates that it needed a restart on although it doesn't appear to show that right now. The fan looks fairly dusty and I think the clients could be running a little faster. Can we coordinate a time for me to do that? After bringing it back up, since we have such a wide variety of servers including the newer PRPnet 3.2.6 servers, it would probably be better if you restarted them all.

I don't have time right now but could do it after 10 PM CDT tonight. Let me know what works for you.

Gary
Okay. The servers in their current configuration are simple enough: the LLRnet servers can be started as always, and the PRPnet servers with just ./prpserver, whether they're 2.4.6 or 3.2.6. (Note that I have a few special modified binaries of prpserver in my personal server's directory; those are from an earlier debugging experiment, so you can ignore those and just use ./prpserver.) Also note that the 3.2.6 servers identify themselves as 3.2.5 but they're really 3.2.6 since I applied the code change between the two prior to Mark's official release of 3.2.6.

Go ahead and restart the whole shebang as soon as you're ready; as I said it should be pretty simple, so you shouldn't need me to do it. Let me know as soon as you're all set and I'll give it a once-over to make sure everything's running OK.

One last thing: you've probably noticed that on jeepford, I put all of the LLRnet clients in separate tabs within the same console window, as opposed to separate console windows as you have them on the other machines. With all those console windows floating around (one for LLRnet servers, one for PRPnet servers, and one for clients) it's good to have them somewhat condensed so as to leave some room on the taskbar for when we need to use the computer.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 03:13   #1330
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2·5·1,013 Posts

Ah, OK. That will be simple. I thought there were some special commands for the PRPnet 3.2.6 servers. Yes, I had noticed the window for all of the LLRnet clients. I had actually changed, added, and removed clients several times since you did that and had maintained that consistency. I'm sticking with running 3 clients on the server machine for now. I had run 4 clients for quite a while beginning about 2 days after the last rally until about 2 days ago. I noticed then that when I got on it to view a file, it would hesitate very badly despite it being < 6 months old and having 4 GB of RAM. I figured with the current load of everyone's clients running the servers that I was pressing my luck having all 4 cores running LLRnet clients. It appeared to be bogging the machine down and I was afraid of messing up stats updates or something like that.

OK, everyone, the server machine will be offline in about 5 minutes for 10 or so minutes while I apply some updates, stop the servers, shut it down, blow the dust out of it, restart the machine, and restart the servers.

That reminds me of something else Max: Do I need to be backing up Jeepford or is AMDave taking care of doing that remotely by some automated process? If so, what folders/directories/subfolders should I be backing up? There is now a tremendous amount of data on there and it would be completely foolheardy to not make a backup at least once every 2-4 weeks. The CRUS web pages are updated on my laptop and kept before uploading them so those are effectively backed up but I don't know about other things. My laptop is what contains the lion's share of results from both NPLB and CRUS and I back it up about twice a month to an external hard drive. It's now up to about 30 GB! :-) But I don't have any formal backup process that I've started for Jeepford yet.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2010-05-27 at 03:18
Old 2010-05-27, 03:48   #1331
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×5×1,013 Posts

The server machine has been updated, cleaned out, and all of the servers have been restarted.

...routine maintenance to avoid unexpected future nastiness.