mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data > Teams

Old 2003-11-21, 16:12   #1
whilden

Aug 2002

1D16 Posts
Default Team Stats Question

It has recently come to my attention that a user was allowed to move his stats out of their current team to join a new team. I had thought this wasnt allowed.

My question is do we want prime95 to be like Seti, DF, and others that allow team hopping or F@H, ecc2 that dont.

My thought on this is if you crunch for a team then your stats are there til the end, you can always move on but whats crunched for a team stays. Anyways, I think something official should be said.

Ars-TPR
891.695 total LL years

Last fiddled with by whilden on 2003-11-21 at 16:13
whilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-06, 16:58   #2
nomadicus

Jan 2003
North Carolina

2×3×41 Posts

bump
nomadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-07, 02:15   #3
nitro

Feb 2003

4E16 Posts
Default Re: Team Stats Question

Quote:
Originally posted by whilden
It has recently come to my attention that a user was allowed to move his stats out of their current team to join a new team. I had thought this wasnt allowed.

My question is do we want prime95 to be like Seti, DF, and others that allow team hopping or F@H, ecc2 that dont.

My thought on this is if you crunch for a team then your stats are there til the end, you can always move on but whats crunched for a team stays. Anyways, I think something official should be said.

Ars-TPR
891.695 total LL years
To me it's simlpe. I *own* my PC not you, therefore I decide where the credit goes.

If I move on you lose some credit time.

Would you be complaining if I moved INTO your team and brought with me my 350 years of CPU credit

Thought not.
nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-10, 20:16   #4
Digital Concepts

Aug 2002

2·33 Posts

In a perfect wourld, I'd agree with Nitro. But witnessing the reprecussions of just this thing in other projects has shown me that continuity is in the best interest of the project.

In answer to your question, I saw an instance where people on a team wanted to quit the project (ECCP) when an individual joined their team! They were so against the merger because the impetus was a personal vendetta designed to hurt another team.

A lot of the time a person who moves is someone who needs attention (I'm not saying this is the case in the above case) and they get their kicks by switching teams left and right, causing great distress to the majority of participants.

Both these scenarios risks disenfranchaising large numbers of people; both those that are established and have shown they're good for contributing a large amount of work, and those that are new and are turned off by the drama they are seeing when they join.

Everyone should be free to do what they want. But we have laws to make sure that the majority do not get hurt by a few for a reason.

The whole thing is solved by understanding a person should be extremely discretionary BEFORE they join a team. I would say that a contribution made in that manner honorably remains with that team and continuity is maintained.

Last fiddled with by Digital Concepts on 2004-01-10 at 20:19
Digital Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-10, 20:27   #5
Pablo the Duck

Dec 2003
Team China

2×33 Posts
Default Re: Re: Team Stats Question

Quote:
Originally posted by nitro
To me it's simlpe. I *own* my PC not you, therefore I decide where the credit goes.

If I move on you lose some credit time.

Would you be complaining if I moved INTO your team and brought with me my 350 years of CPU credit

Thought not.
I don't agree Nitro, when Beckham moved to Real Madrid they didn't get credited with all the goals he scored for Man Utd.

And you're welcome to come and join Team China but there's no need to bring your 350 hours with you (even though it's seven times as much as our team total).
Pablo the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-10, 21:06   #6
patrik

"Patrik Johansson"
Aug 2002
Uppsala, Sweden

6508 Posts

First of all, this is not a major issue to me. I'd be glad to accept whatever you others decide.

I think it would be best if you didn't move credit around. You only give credit to whom you are crunching for at the moment. However, if you have a personal account, you (in some sense) "own" your own credit. So it could be OK for you to give it away when you join a team. (But I wouldn't do that.)

But as I see it, when you're crunching for a team, you are giving your credit away. It would be OK to get the credit back only if it would be okayed by a team leader (if such a person can be identified).
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-12, 23:22   #7
QuintLeo

Oct 2002
Lost in the hills of Iowa

26×7 Posts

The other projects I have worked with did not allow credit assigned to a team to be moved for work done prior to the move.

It always seemed reasonable to me, as you WERE with that team when the work was done.
QuintLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 18:58   #8
whilden

Aug 2002

29 Posts

I almost forgot about this thread, yeah on other projects this is a real big issue, in prime not so much ... but considering work was allowed to me moved out of a team recently I thought maybe a policy should be put in writing.

I for one have never like team hoppers, and like I said before this has become a problem in other dc projects.
whilden is offline   Reply With Quote