Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Forum Feedback

Old 2009-08-09, 23:38   #1
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts
Default request for additional filetypes for attachments

Could we possibly have the following filetypes added to the list of files allowed to be attached to posts?

.rar
.7z
.lzma

Right now the only compression formats allowed (without renaming, which can be somewhat of a pain) are .zip, .gz, and .bz2. For some types of files, the above three can provide better compression, and in cases when the poster is reasonably sure that the intended downloaders will have access to the requisite decompression programs, it would be quite useful to have them available.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 02:46   #2
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

7,691 Posts
Smile

It seems like a lot of work for very little gain.

With so many free places available to upload large files, the space we have here should just be for small things.

Post a poll, get a majority vote and convince more than half of the super mods and we will make it happen.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 03:32   #3
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

769210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Could we possibly have the following filetypes added to the list of files allowed to be attached to posts?

.rar
.7z
.lzma
Also, you could just put them in a zip file and remind users of the need for a two-stage decompression.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 03:59   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·7·409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
... and remind users of the need for a two-stage decompression.
Sounds like a diving course.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 05:13   #5
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Also, you could just put them in a zip file and remind users of the need for a two-stage decompression.
Or just rename the file and state that in the post.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 10:18   #6
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

I think zipping the (.7z, .rar, or .lzma) file like cheesehead suggested would be the best option. Besides, with the attachment limits, I can't see the slightly better compression ratio of these methods being terribly useful (in terms of extra upload/download times). Now, if you happened to have a file whose size is just on the border, such that it would fit with .7z but not with .zip, then you can put the .7z inside a .zip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Or just rename the file and state that in the post.
Quote:
(without renaming, which can be somewhat of a pain)

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2009-08-11 at 10:20
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 18:35   #7
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Okay, no problem. I was mainly thinking that possibly one could help reduce the forum's disk usage a bit by using more efficient compression formats, but then again, when the savings are on the order of a few KB, it's probably not going to make any difference in the long run.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 18:53   #8
axn

Jun 2003

13×192 Posts

Quote:
Okay, no problem. I was mainly thinking that possibly one could help reduce the forum's disk usage a bit by using more efficient compression formats, but then again, when the savings are on the order of a few KB, it's probably not going to make any difference in the long run.
OTOH, "supporting" additional formats ought to be trivial -- so trivial, in fact, that we shouldn't even be having this discussion. Just do it already!
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 19:39   #9
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·2,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
OTOH, "supporting" additional formats ought to be trivial -- so trivial, in fact, that we shouldn't even be having this discussion. Just do it already!
you took the words out of my mouth
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 20:23   #10
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

31·191 Posts
Talking

Quote:
I was mainly thinking that possibly one could help reduce the forum's disk usage a bit by using more efficient compression formats, but then again, when the savings are on the order of a few KB, it's probably not going to make any difference in the long run.
If we try hard enough, we could use more bytes discussing the change than we hope to save through the change...
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 20:48   #11
axn

Jun 2003

13·192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
If we try hard enough, we could use more bytes discussing the change than we hope to save through the change...
Ok. Here's something to consider. I might use my *favorite* compression utility to compress in some particular format because that is the best format. However, whenever I need to upload a file to the forum, I need to switch from my *favorite* format (*sob*) to zip (*yuck*) and then switch back. Saves me a lot of hassle if I could just upload my *favorite* format. [That's a lot of * ]

Last fiddled with by axn on 2009-08-11 at 20:49
axn is offline   Reply With Quote