mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-04-13, 17:09   #12
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2·2,383 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatman View Post
I can second that distro. The best part is, you can email the creator directly and they will help you out with any issues you're having.

It has been rock-solid for me so far, and setting up my Pis to work with CADO-NFS is super easy.
I have been using that same distro since Jan. 2017... No fails.
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 08:51   #13
Lexicographer
 
Mar 2018
Shenzhen, China

228 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Being 32 bit means there is not possible to install primo on it.
Hmmm, I wonder how long does it take Primo to check the current record prime 2116224 - 15905?

I tried to run it, but it doesn't work on my machine. I tried to look in the code, but, apparently, it's not even open source.

Certificate generation seems to take 2 years... And knowing that it was built using Free Pascal, I doubt it can be very efficient on ARM architecture.
Lexicographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 11:57   #14
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

129E16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicographer View Post
Hmmm, I wonder how long does it take Primo to check the current record prime 2116224 - 15905?

I tried to run it, but it doesn't work on my machine. I tried to look in the code, but, apparently, it's not even open source.

Certificate generation seems to take 2 years... And knowing that it was built using Free Pascal, I doubt it can be very efficient on ARM architecture.
I personally asked the owner of the code (Marcel Martin), and he replied he didn't plan a porting of the numerous assembly routines over ARM architectures for the time being.
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 15:29   #15
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×1,697 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicographer View Post
Hmmm, I wonder how long does it take Primo to check the current record prime 2116224 - 15905?
It would take a 2-3 days on a quad core Intel to check the certificate. Checking the signatures takes a few seconds. Compare this to the 752 days to produce the certificate on a dual socket computer with 16 cores at 3.2Ghz, or the 37 seconds to do Fermat + Lucas PRP tests on a single core at 3.5GHz

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2018-04-15 at 15:57
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-27, 11:04   #16
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·1,697 Posts
Default

I have just ordered a R-pi 3 B+ (@1.4GHz) and am planning putting 64 bit OpenSuse onto it. It will be interesting to me to see how it stacks up against an AMD 1090T power per op running my own C code which is all integer.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2018-04-27 at 11:13
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-27, 14:56   #17
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2×2,383 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
I have just ordered a R-pi 3 B+ (@1.4GHz) and am planning putting 64 bit OpenSuse onto it. It will be interesting to me to see how it stacks up against an AMD 1090T power per op running my own C code which is all integer.
Better than 1:15 per core, I guess. Even better if you start juggling with vector instructions.
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-29, 05:11   #18
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×1,697 Posts
Default

The R-pi 3 B+ is an amazing 64 bit quad core device. I could not get Suse working on it but did get 64 bit Gentoo running with no problems. It is doing useful work now with me knowing that it is using very little electricity.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2018-04-29 at 05:18
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-29, 07:37   #19
0PolarBearsHere
 
0PolarBearsHere's Avatar
 
Oct 2015

2·7·19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
The R-pi 3 B+ is an amazing 64 bit quad core device. I could not get Suse working on it but did get 64 bit Gentoo running with no problems. It is doing useful work now with me knowing that it is using very little electricity.
How long did the initial bootstrap compile take? Although I'm a big fan of only compiling bits I need, my concern is that it will be a large amount of effort for very little gain from using a 64bit OS.
0PolarBearsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-29, 07:42   #20
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·1,697 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0PolarBearsHere View Post
How long did the initial bootstrap compile take? Although I'm a big fan of only compiling bits I need, my concern is that it will be a large amount of effort for very little gain from using a 64bit OS.
Ha. It is a matter of using xzcat to flash a Micro SD card with an image -- that's it.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2018-04-29 at 07:49
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-29, 11:25   #21
0PolarBearsHere
 
0PolarBearsHere's Avatar
 
Oct 2015

2×7×19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
Ha. It is a matter of using xzcat to flash a Micro SD card with an image -- that's it.
Well that's a lot less exciting. :P
0PolarBearsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


All times are UTC. The time now is 16:16.

Mon Sep 21 16:16:54 UTC 2020 up 11 days, 13:27, 1 user, load averages: 1.51, 1.65, 1.74

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.