Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Conjectures 'R Us

Old 2010-10-19, 16:18   #1
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

604410 Posts
Default What are your CRUS plans?

This has been an interesting project due to the sheer amount of work available. There are many ways to attack the problem, whether you are trying to prove the conjecture for a single base, or trying to start as many new conjectures as you can. I'm curious to know what everyone is currently working on in this project if they have have future plans for their CPUs after their current work is completed.

To start things off, this is what I'm working on now:

Currently: R928 to n=25000
Currently: Retests for b > 100, both Riesel and Sierpinski

This is what I plan to work on in the future:

Near Future: Retests for Generalized Woodalls for n < 4100
Near Future: Puzzle 10 (from Steven Harvey's website)
Future: S63, finish the team drive to get the conjecture to n=10000
Future: Get R243, S42, S108 to n=25000
Future: Start all remaining conjectures for conjectured k < 1000 and bring them to n=25000

Some of these I will spend more time on than others. For example, by the time I'm done with R928, I will have spent more than 15 GHz CPU years on it. I expect to spend another GHz year on the retests for b > 100. S63 will take about 2.5 GHz years to get to n=10000 (presuming others complete their reservations). GWs for n < 4100 might only take a few GHz months. Puzzle 10 is open-ended so I don't know how much time I will spend on it. Although there are few conjectures to be started for conjectured k < 1000, the amount of time needed for that effort is unknown. I might not even get to it as others will pick a few k off before I get there.

If I were to ask for anyone's help, it would be on S63 because it's rather boring work.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 19:31   #2
Siemelink

Jan 2006
Hungary

1000011002 Posts

I am taking Prime Riesel Conjectures to n = 200,000. That's going to take me through 2011.

Willem.
Siemelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 21:30   #3
Xentar

Sep 2006

2·3·31 Posts

I want to finish Sierp base 17, and take Sierp 19 as far as possible.
That's going to take me through 201*
Xentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 23:01   #4
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Most of my computing firepower comes from my quad (Q6600 overclocked to 2.8GHz); as such, I generally plan its targets entirely separately from my dualcore (E4500, stock 2.2GHz).

Right now my "near future" goal for the quad is to get Sierp. base 6 completed to n=400K (the end of the current sieve file).

On the more immediate scale, I will be finishing S6 to n=350K within 24 hours or so. After that, I'll move to NPLB port 9000 and will stay there until the end of the impending rally (for a total of ~2 weeks). I have been trying for ages to find a prime on the 5th Drive as I would like to get at least one before the drive ends; however, I am notoriously unlucky when it comes to finding NPLB primes, so I still haven't found one despite having passed the # of pairs that, according to Gary's odds of prime spreadsheet, "should" get me an expected one prime (in other words, ~62% chance of finding one). I'm hoping that 2 additional quad-weeks on port 9000 will net me something. At the current n=~920K, it would be my biggest prime yet. (My current personal record is 157*2^869073-1, found a couple years back--and that one was actually found by Gary, though I reported it since he was "loaning" me a bit of CPU resources at the time.)

I'm not sure what I'll do after I get S6 to n=400K, but I may go back to trying to prove some of the 1- or 2-k conjectures <32, which was my long-term target a ways back. Alternatively, I might tackle one of the base 16 drives...not sure yet at this point.

As for my dualcore, I've currently got one core working on the TPS sieving drive (it's one of the few sieves that my 32-bit OS can do efficiently, since tpsieve-64bit is actually slower than the 32-bit version due to lack of SSE2 optimizations). The other core is working towards collecting a full set of PrimeGrid bronze badges.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 04:23   #5
vmod

Mar 2010
Hampshire, UK

3316 Posts

It’s been over 6 months since I joined here. My reasoning behind choosing reservations was that (instead of a single reservation that I would throw all my CPU power at and finish asap) I would have 4-5 reservations at any given time and alternate working between them. That would be a variety of reservations (some low-n, some high-n, some single-k, some few-k, some multi-k) and try to finish each in a timeframe of about 3 months.

Over time I adopted two trends:
1. Going for higher b or higher n. Since my only top-5000 prime dropped off the list during the summer I’ve been steadily upping my reservations to get another one. While I had a couple good finds, they were short of the threshold. I’ll keep trying and all my later reservations have a good portion of the work within top-5000 territory.
2. Combining Riesel and Sierp work for the same base. Even if I’m not testing myself I try to reserve bases that are suitable for combined sieving. Sieving that way takes longer but each side goes deeper and when I or whoever else starts testing there’s a benefit from more optimal sieving.

Currently I have two bases that I extended testing from my initial reservation, S35 (many k’s, low n) and S55 (few k’s, high n). I consider both low-priority; each has been assigned one core on a machine that is not on 24/7 so updates should be expected on a “whenever” basis.
My current main reservation is R/S148 with 14k’s remaining at n=50K, on pause pending further sieving. I will take it to n=100K and depending on the number of k’s eliminated maybe n=150K. That should keep me busy until the end of the year.

For future work. There was a discussion in the PRPnet server thread about options and directions for a team effort. My preference would be to test the single-k bases above n=100K to 250K (or whatever the choice would be) and hopefully knock a few of them. If (when) such an effort is started I would focus on that instead of individual reservations.
If not I will keep choosing work based on what I described above and if a top-5000 prime comes I will also consider getting some more of the less attractive work (bases 39, 40).
vmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 05:50   #6
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2·47·109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siemelink View Post
I am taking Prime Riesel Conjectures to n = 200,000. That's going to take me through 2011.

Willem.
I have to ask: What is the reasoning behind only testing prime k's for a conjecture that must be prime? It's like testing all k's divisible by 3 for a conjecture that must be divisible by 3. I'm just curious as to the arbitrary exclusion of composite k's.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 15:53   #7
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmod View Post
For future work. There was a discussion in the PRPnet server thread about options and directions for a team effort. My preference would be to test the single-k bases above n=100K to 250K (or whatever the choice would be) and hopefully knock a few of them. If (when) such an effort is started I would focus on that instead of individual reservations.
FYI: yes, I'm still planning to get a sieving drive set up for this as previously discussed. I've been busy in my personal life so I haven't had the chance to do it yet, but it is definitely on my to-do list.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 17:00   #8
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×47×109 Posts

I'm working on various bases <=32 with few k's remaining at high n-levels plus testing new bases that have <= 15 k's remaining at n=5K. On the latter search, I've about finished all bases with <= 9 k's remaining and am about to start on bases with 10 k's remaining at n=5K.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 18:04   #9
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

10111100111002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
I'm working on various bases <=32 with few k's remaining at high n-levels plus testing new bases that have <= 15 k's remaining at n=5K. On the latter search, I've about finished all bases with <= 9 k's remaining and am about to start on bases with 10 k's remaining at n=5K.
I don't understand. Are you saying that there are bases only tested to n=5000?
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 18:55   #10
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

22·23·31 Posts

I'm working on getting all bases with 1 or 2 k's remaining to n=100K.
I should finish the 1ker's by the end of the year or earlier. The 2ker's will take me to mid to late 2011. After that, I'll either start more bases or work on getting all bases at least to n=100K, maybe both.
MyDogBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 19:16   #11
Siemelink

Jan 2006
Hungary

22·67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
I have to ask: What is the reasoning behind only testing prime k's for a conjecture that must be prime? It's like testing all k's divisible by 3 for a conjecture that must be divisible by 3. I'm just curious as to the arbitrary exclusion of composite k's.
I do it because it is defined that way. There is already a project for this, that is the Prime Sierpinsky Project. I am doing the same for the generalized Riesel side (base <= 50).
When I make reservations for a normal conjecture I only pick those k that are prime.

Base 14 has Riesel Conjecture = 4 proven.
Base 14 has Prime Riesel Conjecture = 14 proven, with:

2*14^4-1
3*14^1-1
5*14^19698-1
7*14^1-1

It makes me happy, Willem.
Siemelink is offline   Reply With Quote