Old 2015-10-23, 17:53   #1
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

3×11×59 Posts
Default The "one billion minus 999,994,000" digits prime number

Hi,
I am looking for a partner/team to try and find a billion digits prime for the EFF prize.
I am certain that it can be done using the formula and the proof that all outputs within a range are guaranteed to be primes that I have developed but have not published yet.
The computation does not involve any primality tests since all outputs within the range are primes but some variables will need to be fine tuned to make the output within the range.
My email address is overwhelmed so the best way to communicate would be to post to this thread.

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.
Old 2015-10-23, 18:30   #2
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

217368 Posts
Question

Run your algorithm and give us a toy example of a tiny 1-million-digit prime.

No need to fine-tune the parameters - anything from 1- to 3-5- million digits will be fine and convincing; it doesn't have to be exactly 1,000,000-digits. Such a prime is indeed tiny compared to what you are trying to achieve.
Old 2015-10-23, 18:42   #3
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

2,917 Posts

Old 2015-10-23, 18:43   #4
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

3×11×59 Posts

I think that's a fair challenge. I am probably a bit old an impatient to write codes myself which is why I thought I would partner with expert programmers on the field. But I should be able to come up with a relatively large prime using Wolfram Alpha or JavaScript (will take much longer to set up my old computers and libraries).

Anyone know if Wolfram Alpha can be set up to run routines and try list of variables?
Old 2015-10-23, 19:53   #5
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·3,019 Posts

Also, any number you find needs to be proven prime with other software. pfgw will be able to do a PRP test on anything, but there is no quick way to prove primality on most PRPs.

I suggest that you start smaller, about 1,000 decimal digits. If it is relatively easy to find PRPs of that size and they can be proven prime using Primo if pfgw can't handle them. You will need to show that all numbers of that size that you generate with your code are both PRP and prime before anyone takes you seriously.

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2015-10-23 at 19:54
Old 2015-10-23, 21:34   #6
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Hi,
I am looking for a partner/team to try and find a billion digits prime for the EFF prize.
I am certain that it can be done using the formula and the proof that all outputs within a range are guaranteed to be primes that I have developed but have not published yet.
The computation does not involve any primality tests since all outputs within the range are primes but some variables will need to be fine tuned to make the output within the range.
My email address is overwhelmed so the best way to communicate would be to post to this thread.

ROTFLMAO
Old 2015-10-23, 21:41   #7
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

111100110112 Posts

Thank you Rogue for introducing me to Primo and PFGW.

Can any of them run any sort of routines off the shelf? Or they only take in integers?

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2015-10-23 at 21:42
Old 2015-10-23, 21:41   #8
Gordon

Nov 2008

3·167 Posts

Quote:
Hi,

you're the CEMPLLA guy and I claim my prize
Old 2015-10-23, 22:02   #9
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·3,019 Posts

Quote:
Thank you Rogue for introducing me to Primo and PFGW.

Can any of them run any sort of routines off the shelf? Or they only take in integers?
They only take in integers.
Old 2015-10-23, 22:19   #10
alpertron

Aug 2002
Buenos Aires, Argentina

2×3×223 Posts

Quote:

There are too many people who claim to be able to generate primes of any size, because of the prizes. A decade ago, other people claimed that they could factorize a number of 1000 digits, or so, thus trying to get the money from the RSA challenge.

So if you think that your algorithm always generate huge primes, you should post the algorithm in order to be analyzed. There are some people in this forum that can check very quickly whether you are losing your time or you have something that hundreds of number theorists have not found in centuries.
Old 2015-10-23, 22:41   #11
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

111100110112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
you're the CEMPLLA guy and I claim my prize
That thread is too long for my time availability.
Was it based on a proof based on number ranges or was it something else?
Are there any similar proofs that fail on large numbers due to element divergence?

To make it clear.

|P7#/2-2n| can be proven to be prime for all results less than 49. No primality testing is required.
Of course this will become useless for larger numbers when the two sides fail to diverge.

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2015-10-23 at 22:47
Closed Thread