mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2005-01-24, 19:38   #1
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

50910 Posts
Default New Month's Resolution

My new years resolution is to be able to run three miles without stopping again.

I was thinking, I should start making very small new months resolutionsalong the way, not necessarily having to do with my new yearsresolution.

My new month's resolution for February is to spend no more than $500 onnon-bill products. By bills, I mean rent, utilities, and cellphone.Luckily I don't have any other bills this month. I am including food inthose $500, so that's going to be hard, especially since I'm such a bigeater. Hopefully this will entice me to eat less expensively (like notat a restaurant every day).

Would anyone else like to join me in making a new month's resolution?
JuanTutors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-27, 22:57   #2
edorajh

Oct 2003
Croatia

45610 Posts

I'll try to find prime number that qualifies for top 5000 primes list.
edorajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-27, 23:58   #3
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

11110000011002 Posts

I resolve to stay out late on no more than four Tuesday nights next month.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-28, 08:56   #4
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·72·109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead
I resolve to stay out late on no more than four Tuesday nights next month.
I resolve not to make any more resolutions.

The old ones are the best, eh?

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-28, 13:43   #5
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts
Wink Resolution to cut electricity bills? NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicanpapi82
My new month's resolution for February is to spend no more than $500 onnon-bill products. By bills, I mean rent, utilities, and cellphone.Luckily I don't have any other bills this month. I am including food inthose $500, so that's going to be hard, especially since I'm such a bigeater. Hopefully this will entice me to eat less expensively (like notat a restaurant every day).
Papi, what are you thinking?

By all means economise on luxury spending (and food) but when we talk of utilities we surely include electricity.

Cut down on electricity? Your computers need the electricity, and primenet needs your computers.

Apart from your room lighting, air-conditioning and the vacuum cleaner, washing-machine and dishwasher, your electricity bill has finite scope for reduction. A cheap meter can tell you the consumption (and hence cost) of using each device.

How about a resolution to increase your prime95 processing capacity by at least as much size and energy usage as you are able to save by efforts in other areas? This will act as a psychological incentive for you.

You can try washing clothes by hand, sweeping the floor with a broom, reading in the dark etc. This focus on efficiency will mean the net increase in your electricity consumption is not as bad for the planet as it otherwise would be.

What about capital items? eg spend a lot on a solar power system and low wattage fluorescent strips would cut your monthly bills but have to spend the money up front? Maybe connect a generator to a fitness cycle so you can charge lighting batteries while having your daily workout.

Hmmm, I could add a few PCs to my cluster for the price of a solar array. Think I'll choose those PCs.
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-28, 17:09   #6
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

50910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nelson
Cut down on electricity?
I did say non bill products
Old 2005-02-28, 22:59   #7
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

1FD16 Posts

I was over my goal by $180 this month, but I figured out where most of
it disappears to.

My goals for March:
1. Keep myself down below $600, and possibly start making up those
$180 I lost from February. Hmm...March is also 3 days longer than
February this year. Sounds like FUN!!!
2. Soda etc. with dinner at a restaurant is expensive. Water is free.
I'm going to have water with at least half my meals. And yes, I AM
going to count.