mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Linux

Old 2007-11-16, 05:10   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default bootable mprime wanted(NOT for testing)

I've been fighting with my computer for what seems like a very long time. It's a quad-core, and all I'm interested in doing is crunching on it. At some point it would be nice to be able to run other programs on it, but at the moment, all I want is the ability to (1) run mprime with all the normal options that go along with it, and (2) edit text files, specifically mprime text files. It doesn't need to be able to access a network or the Internet, it just needs to be able to save it's progress every once in a while. And it would be great, though not absolutely necessary, if it could use the latest Prime95 beta(version 25.[highest number out])

I don't know how much effort this would involve, so we can discuss payment options if you want. I prefer gift cards that can be bought with paypal, where the programmer would get an email with the gift card code. So, I guess it would actually be a gift email, lol.

If someone gives me a link to a program that does what I want, or gives really good instructions and sticks with it until I succeed, than I would be happy to give a minimum of $10 to that person. Electronically, of course.

I really hope my offer of money doesn't make anyone unhappy. I'm sure there are a lot of people that wish they could find a boot image like the one I'm suggesting.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-16, 10:21   #2
ValerieVonck

Mar 2004
Belgium

15058 Posts

See http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthr...light=bootdisk
ValerieVonck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-16, 11:30   #3
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

13·593 Posts

The bootable Mprime floppy image is not going to allow all 4 cores to be used.

Just boot a Linux "live" CD and run Mprime from a USB key.

You should be getting several weeks, at least, from each reboot, so the few steps you have to do to get everything running should not be a hassle.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-16, 23:09   #4
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
The bootable Mprime floppy image is not going to allow all 4 cores to be used.

Just boot a Linux "live" CD and run Mprime from a USB key.

You should be getting several weeks, at least, from each reboot, so the few steps you have to do to get everything running should not be a hassle.
Maybe I need a different cd, because when I use the Ubuntu install cd as a Live CD, I (1) Have to use the sudo command much, MUCH more than I'd like, and (2) I can't save progress to the USB drive, although this second issue could be a separate problem.
Old 2007-11-17, 02:37   #5
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1E1D16 Posts

I'd suggest the Knoppix "live" CD. It has a SMP kernel OOTB and it picks up USB keys and assorted peripherals very well.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 05:05   #6
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

As it turns out, my problem may actually be where my hard drive and cd reader are plugged in. They're both plugged into Channel 0(not sure if I'm saying that right). I'm thinking that there may be something wrong with that channel, which would explain why I get an error no matter what I try. I have 4 channels: 0, 1, 2, and 3.

I'll work on it sometime tomorrow.