mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2016-03-24, 01:34   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts
Default Donald Trump and the antichrist

I'm not claiming that Donald Trump is the antichrist, but you get a decent dose of wtfs reading this webpage. Highly recommended for people who like to be titillated.

The real wtf for me is it says he has a family member(mother or grandmother, I forget) with the middle name Christ. I don't really know why anyone would take the middle name Christ, seems like a bad choice for tons of reasons, like getting lynched by angry people, Christian or non-christian.

I can tell you I refuse to respect the man who wrote this simply because he put spaces in the url. Totally unforgivable, he's the Satan of good web design. ;) Or maybe he just hates Windows and wants to screw with people who use it.

http://www.thehypertexts.com/Donald%...he%20Beast.htm
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-24, 01:42   #2
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I'm not claiming that Donald Trump is the antichrist, but you get a decent dose of wtfs reading this webpage. Highly recommended for people who like to be titillated.

The real wtf for me is it says he has a family member(mother or grandmother, I forget) with the middle name Christ. I don't really know why anyone would take the middle name Christ, seems like a bad choice for tons of reasons, like getting lynched by angry people, Christian or non-christian.

I can tell you I refuse to respect the man who wrote this simply because he put spaces in the url. Totally unforgivable, he's the Satan of good web design. ;) Or maybe he just hates Windows and wants to screw with people who use it.

could mean christa and forgot to type the letter a. could be a nickname like bill for william, and many others that I've read about like peg and meg for margaret ( some nicknames became names of their own right)

Quote:
Trump Name Meaning. English (Devon): metonymic occupational name for a trumpeter, from Middle English trumpe 'trumpet'.German (Bavaria): metonymic occupational name for a drummer, from Middle High German trumpe 'drum'.
based on this in theory it could mean someone who trumpets/drums up support for the oath of jesus christ. Though another translation I found for elizabeth is
Quote:
Elizabeth is a feminine given name derived from the Greek Ελισάβετ (Elisabet, modern pronunciation Elisávet), which is a form of the Hebrew name Elisheva (אֱלִישֶׁבַע), meaning "My God is an oath" or "My God is abundance"
edit2+: also june is the 6th month of the year so it's not just 3 6's but 4 for the death date. UPC codes must drive you nuts. maybe the US should ban buildings from being near a furlong in height because 666 feet is just 6 feet longer than a furlong. my first name has a similar meaning as his so good luck with that one. you can make an equally weird list for almost any number ( otherwise numberfreak 1 to 200 would be pointless).

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2016-03-24 at 01:56
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-24, 05:31   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·5·431 Posts

Quote:
I'm not claiming that Donald Trump is the antichrist,
Another commonly misunderstood term. Here are all of the occurrences of the term.
Quote:
1John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
Quote:
1John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
Quote:
1John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
Quote:
2John 7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
You will notice that there is no definite article (the) in front of antichrist in any of those. Also note that there are "many", that they already existed before AD100, and anyone who says the Jesus did not come in the flesh is an anti-christ (against 'The Anointed', aka 'The Messiah'.)

Did you ever read the epistles of John? Can I offer you some help understanding them?
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-24, 06:00   #4
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100010001001102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Did you ever read the epistles of John?
Can't you yet, in USA, own a Canadian? Hmm....
(last time I wanted to own a Russian, but Serge got angry with me... )
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-24, 06:29   #5
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

EAA16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Can't you yet, in USA, own a Canadian? Hmm....
(last time I wanted to own a Russian, but Serge got angry with me... )
Many people were pwned during Canadian company Ashley Madison's data breach.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-24, 09:33   #6
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2·23·71 Posts

Quote:
[...]I don't really know why anyone would take the middle name Christ, seems like a bad choice for tons of reasons, like getting lynched by angry people, Christian or non-christian.[...]
I heard about some early spell checking software back in the days when the general public was only just starting to use computers. When someone ran the software on a letter they had written which opened "Dear Chris ..." that name was highlighted by the spell checker with the message "ERROR. You mean: Christ".

Quote:
[...]You will notice that there is no definite article (the) in front of antichrist in any of those [quotes from John]. Also note that there are "many", that they already existed before AD100, and anyone who says the Jesus did not come in the flesh is an anti-christ (against 'The Anointed', aka 'The Messiah'.)[...]
I love your use of the definite article in front of "Jesus", presumably to emphasise that there was indeed only one of him. Language is such a powerful tool, isn't it?

Last fiddled with by Brian-E on 2016-03-24 at 09:34
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-24, 09:54   #7
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts

Quote:

Jesus (pronounced HAY-soos) is a fairly common name in Spanish-speaking countries. It is the equivalent of the English "Joshua". Of course, there is the etymology that leads from YHWH to Yahshua/Joshua/Jesus, as well. In a Christian context, it would be quite a name to live up to.

I can't say that I have ever met or heard of any person named Christ, and that is not really surprising considering that it literally translates as "the Messiah". Talk about giving your kid a God complex!

On the other hand, the parents of this man simply went for the gusto and left the traditional baby-name books in the dust. Mon Dieu!
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-24, 14:13   #8
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

10111001001012 Posts

Quote:
You will notice that there is no definite article (the) in front of antichrist in any of those. Also note that there are "many", that they already existed before AD100, and anyone who says the Jesus did not come in the flesh is an anti-christ (against 'The Anointed', aka 'The Messiah'.)
1 John 2:18 has ἀντίχριστοι, "antichrists".

1 John 2:22 has ὁ ἀντίχριστος, "the/this antichrist".

1 John 4:3 has πνεῦμα ... τὸ τοῦ ἀντιχρίστου, "spirit ... the/this the/this antichrist".

2 John 7 has ὁ ἀντίχριστος, "the/this antichrist".

Not that I disagree with your conclusions, but that's four definite articles by my count.

Unrelated: does anyone know what the difference is between ἀντιχρίστου and ἀντίχριστοι?
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-24, 14:15   #9
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Unrelated: does anyone know what the difference is between ἀντιχρίστου and ἀντίχριστοι?
the U versus the I is the simple minded answer.https://www.google.ca/search?q=%E1%B...hrome&ie=UTF-8 results seem to point towards one being singular masculine while the other is plural masculine.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2016-03-24 at 14:17
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-24, 14:17   #10
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

32·11·101 Posts

Wouldn't the "this" option of several of these translations imply that there could be others? As in, "This antichrist but not that one."
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-24, 14:21   #11
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

3×52×79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
I can't say that I have ever met or heard of any person named Christ, and that is not really surprising considering that it literally translates as "the Messiah". Talk about giving your kid a God complex!
I don't think this is fair. There were plenty of anointed kings/priests/prophets who were not considered divine.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote