mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-04-24, 22:49   #1
swl551
 
swl551's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2×401 Posts
Default TF fetching/reporting toolkit for Linux

I've been toying with the idea of writing a Python base MISFIT tool set, but need to know if there is a need. Haters of automation or Python, or the internet, or Linux need not reply....

Here is my basic thinking.
A library of four Python console programs consisting of
1. Fetch TF work via GPU72
2. Reporting TF work to GIMPS
3. Fetch TF work from GIMPS
4. MISFIT control

I realize Chalsall has #2 as a Pearl utility but if I build this I'll want to deploy a unified kit.

MISFIT control would be the final module that binds them all together with additional features like emailing, stalled processor detection, etc.

If you no one wants MISFIT control, and prefers to chron everthing on their own that's fine too.

The question is.... Is there a potential user base for this or do this utilities already exist for Linux?

Let me know.
swl551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 14:20   #2
Aramis Wyler
 
Aramis Wyler's Avatar
 
"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

18416 Posts
Default

I don't use Linux with powerful gpus, but it seems to me that that would be a welcome addition to the community tool kit. As far as I know there are no good ways to fetch work in Linux without writing something homegrown in perl. Obviously challsall's spider works pretty well for submitting - I use that myself. Improvements probably could be made though, with the server no longer accepting segments out of order.
Aramis Wyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 16:39   #3
swl551
 
swl551's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2×401 Posts
Default

That's one vote.... We just need about 9 more...
swl551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 17:00   #4
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

9,311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl551 View Post
That's one vote.... We just need about 9 more...
I simply don't have the time to implement this myself. I started quite some time ago, and I have some initial work developed in Perl which I would be happy to share. I ended up wasting about two weeks of work trying to get "fork" to work in Perl under Windows...

I do think it would be very welcomed and used by our Linux workers, and I would be happy to assist from the Server API side of things -- including (if you're willing) an "estimated completion" and "updated" data exchange.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 17:08   #5
kracker
ἀβουλία
 
kracker's Avatar
 
"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

1000011101012 Posts
Default

+1 Would definitely be useful personally.
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 17:27   #6
swl551
 
swl551's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2·401 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
I simply don't have the time to implement this myself. I started quite some time ago, and I have some initial work developed in Perl which I would be happy to share. I ended up wasting about two weeks of work trying to get "fork" to work in Perl under Windows...

I do think it would be very welcomed and used by our Linux workers, and I would be happy to assist from the Server API side of things -- including (if you're willing) an "estimated completion" and "updated" data exchange.
Chris I plan to use the standard MISFIT gimps pages George setup for me and to interact with GPU72 the same way MISFIT does. Given those existing pieces the implementation is really a port. The key change is using a language that is well established in Linux that I can easily work with.

In-fact all my development work will be done on a Linux machine with no consideration for Windows (WinBlows - clarifying which OS for Chris)

However this will be boring for me if there is no user base as the interactions with the community is the reward. (usually).

None-the-less I will probably need advice as I get into this as I've logged exactly 12.5587 hours with Linux. Hey, at least I'm trying right!

Last fiddled with by swl551 on 2014-04-25 at 17:32
swl551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 17:50   #7
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

9,311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl551 View Post
In-fact all my development work will be done on a Linux machine with no consideration for Windows (WinBlows - clarifying which OS for Chris)
Cool. My head-banging occurred because I was trying to make my "fetching spider" be "cross-platform". This was before you brought MISFIT forward. WinBlows simply doesn't do fork()'ing under Perl well -- the call is there, but you can't get signals back reliably, nor can you kill() a child process which has launched another program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl551 View Post
However this will be boring for me if there is no user base as the interactions with the community is the reward. (usually).
I can't speak for others, but I, personally, would use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl551 View Post
None-the-less I will probably need advice as I get into this as I've logged exactly 12.5587 hours with Linux. Hey, at least I'm trying right!
Always happy to help. So you know, my "native tongues" are C and Perl. I can do Python if I have to, but I seriously take offence to a language which tells the programmer how the indentation should be, and refuses to run if the white-space is not the way it likes it. That's what brackets are for.

I'm the human. You're the software. Do what I tell you to do (even if I might be wrong).
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 21:05   #8
swl551
 
swl551's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2×401 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Cool. My head-banging occurred because I was trying to make my "fetching spider" be "cross-platform". This was before you brought MISFIT forward. WinBlows simply doesn't do fork()'ing under Perl well -- the call is there, but you can't get signals back reliably, nor can you kill() a child process which has launched another program.



I can't speak for others, but I, personally, would use it.



Always happy to help. So you know, my "native tongues" are C and Perl. I can do Python if I have to, but I seriously take offence to a language which tells the programmer how the indentation should be, and refuses to run if the white-space is not the way it likes it. That's what brackets are for.

I'm the human. You're the software. Do what I tell you to do (even if I might be wrong).
I think this comic sums it up...
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/python.png
swl551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 21:20   #9
Aramis Wyler
 
Aramis Wyler's Avatar
 
"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

22·97 Posts
Default

I always thought the forced whitespace was python's best feature, drawing a line against lazy coders! The not-lazy coders would be tabbing correctly anyway. :)

EDIT: Besides, in Python the tabs are just invisible and more versatile brackets. :)

Last fiddled with by Aramis Wyler on 2014-04-25 at 21:21
Aramis Wyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 23:13   #10
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

245F16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis Wyler View Post
I always thought the forced whitespace was python's best feature, drawing a line against lazy coders! The not-lazy coders would be tabbing correctly anyway. :)

EDIT: Besides, in Python the tabs are just invisible and more versatile brackets. :)
I understand your point. But...

In my world, VIM is my "IDE". If I want to remove a bit of code (C, Perl, Javascript, et al) by quickly adding a "if (0) { ... }" section around a block, I can. If I want to add a bit of code I can simply type it in. If a section of code is more readable in one line rather than two or three, I should able to do so (e.g. "if ([some condition]) {[action]}").

Hell, if a programmer wants to write their entire program on a single line, they should be able to do so. This is often done (using tools) with Javascript to lessen the download size of production code.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2014-04-25 at 23:17 Reason: Corrected whitespace -- didn't compile initially....
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-26, 03:20   #11
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

32·971 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Reason: Corrected whitespace -- didn't compile initially....
Bwaaa haaa haaa! This is genial.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-04-26 at 03:20
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux install of CUDA toolkit for GT 430 card, maybe… ewmayer GPU Computing 66 2015-01-10 08:46
GPU72's fetching/reporting API Aramis Wyler GPU to 72 44 2013-04-10 13:41
GPU72.com TF worm fetching tool now available swl551 GPU to 72 83 2013-03-25 09:04
CUDA Toolkit for OpenSUSE 11.2--gcc 4.5 and up are not supported patrik GPU Computing 9 2012-04-07 03:50
NVIDIA CUDA C toolkit for G80 GPU available dsouza123 Programming 2 2007-02-18 12:50

All times are UTC. The time now is 23:48.

Wed Sep 23 23:48:34 UTC 2020 up 13 days, 20:59, 0 users, load averages: 1.62, 1.70, 1.73

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.