mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2014-03-29, 08:08   #1
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

23×312 Posts
Default Book: The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness

We just finished reading The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness and it is certainly a book that causes one to ask questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Jim_Crow

We are still mulling over what we have read.

Has anyone here done any thinking on this topic? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 10:11   #2
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2·23·71 Posts

There is little doubt in my mind that there is a resurgence of racist attitudes in many parts of Europe, including where I live, that has been going on for about 10-15 years. But I think the circumstances and effects of that will be quite different from the way racism in the USA is manifesting itself.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 11:21   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×11×397 Posts

We clicked the link, very interesting book review, we added that to the list of books we wanna read. We have now 6 books in the list. This list grows and shrinks periodically, according with our time to download the ebooks and read them in our ereader, during we waiting in the parking lot for mrs LaurV to finish her shopping...

As we didn't read it yet, we don't have an opinion. We are a little bit of a racist ourselves, but we divide the people in races by a different algorithm, which does not consider the color of the skin, religion, sex, sexual preferences, citizenship or geographic origin, etc.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-03-29 at 11:25
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 11:50   #4
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

22×11×107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
There is little doubt in my mind that there is a resurgence of racist attitudes in many parts of Europe, including where I live, that has been going on for about 10-15 years. But I think the circumstances and effects of that will be quite different from the way racism in the USA is manifesting itself.
Here in Brazil is common racist attitudes, it's daily. It is one of the reasons I want to go back to Europe. I am suffering from discrimination at the lab and therefore I will be forced to end my PhD studies.
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 15:29   #5
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

999110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We just finished reading The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness and it is certainly a book that causes one to ask questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Jim_Crow

We are still mulling over what we have read.

Has anyone here done any thinking on this topic? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

I agree in broad principle to the concept. It seems inescapable. I have only skimmed the Wiki. It contains interesting examples of diversity of opinion from people on the Left who ostensibly might have some of the same goals.

It is attacked as Eurocentric, and as a Whitewash by some, yet Cornel West gives it high praise. I do not usually think of him as an 'Uncle Tom'. <-(highly facetious statement!) At the same time, I am surprised that the expression "Prison Industrial Complex" does not appear in the Wiki. One does not have to go into the far Left publications to find this phrase in common usage.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 19:58   #6
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

235810 Posts

I read it a year or two ago. It was the Unitarian Universalist's Common Read that year. Friends involved in the local black community have said it is the best explanation they have found for why it's so hard for black people to break out of the poverty system. I see the locking-in effects described in the book. I'm less convinced than the author that we got here because of intentional racist design, but racist results are clear and must be pleasing to some blackhearts.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-30, 11:21   #7
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

326610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Here in Brazil is common racist attitudes, it's daily. It is one of the reasons I want to go back to Europe. I am suffering from discrimination at the lab and therefore I will be forced to end my PhD studies.
Experiences like yours occur in all countries, but that does not make it any less outrageous. I hope things work out for you.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 03:02   #8
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

768810 Posts

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...rug-sentences/
Old 2014-04-03, 03:25   #9
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

97·103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
This 61-year-old says that it is long past time for these changes.

End Prohibition (AGAIN!)
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 08:25   #10
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1E0C16 Posts

There is currently discussion in Milwaukee about Wisconsin's having "the highest percentage of incarcerated black men in the nation.
Quote:
Over the course of six months, WUWM and MPTV are exploring Wisconsin's high rate of black male incarceration, through expert analysis and personal stories.

Why is the rate so high? How does imprisonment affect the men and their futures, as well as their families, neighborhoods and the region's economy? The series will also investigate recommended solutions.
Disparities in drug use and sentencing are part of the situation.

Milwaukee is "the overall most segregated metropolitan area in the United States."

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2014-04-03 at 08:37
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 19:36   #11
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

23·312 Posts

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...,5720069.story