mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2015-06-21, 03:27   #12
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!

May 2013

32·193 Posts

Nothing from Ctrl-shift-esc or Windows+R. To be clear, the keyboard on the laptop works just fine in the windows 7 CD command prompt. There's just no response on a proper boot attempt (safe mode or otherwise).
wombatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 07:25   #13
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11·157 Posts

What's the longest you've waited for the black screen? If you've got nothing better to do, plug it in and let it think overnight.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 07:57   #14
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×32×569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatman View Post
If it was mine, I would, but this laptop belongs to a friend of my wife, so I can't do it. I free pretty sure the hardware is fine. The memory checks out.

I guess I could install a dual-boot installation of Linux just to make sure everything works. Then remove it after checking.
Boot from a Live-CD and check out the hardware?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 11:15   #15
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100111000001112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
The Hirens Boot CD has saved my bacon more than once. It has three different systems it will boot to, and a vast number of utilities of all sorts aimed at recovery.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 16:24   #16
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!

May 2013

32·193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
What's the longest you've waited for the black screen? If you've got nothing better to do, plug it in and let it think overnight.
Overnight, in fact. Nothing happens aside from what seems to be a screen saver (or monitor sleep). When I move the mouse, it comes back up to the black screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
The Hirens Boot CD has saved my bacon more than once. It has three different systems it will boot to, and a vast number of utilities of all sorts aimed at recovery.
I will definitely try out this Boot CD. Never used it before, but it has a boatload of tools, it seems! Much appreciated for all the advice.
Old 2015-06-22, 03:21   #17
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!

May 2013

32×193 Posts

Just a quick update with Hiren's. The mini Windows XP won't boot. The loading bar fills all the way up...and then nothing. The Linux boot, however, worked fine. I did one of the HD self-test programs there (the extended one), and the HD checked out as fine. Went ahead and did a Memtest run as well, and the RAM passed 3 tests without issue.

I'm currently using the DOS boot to run some more HD checks and see if anything comes up.
Old 2015-06-22, 04:07   #18
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

999110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatman View Post
Just a quick update with Hiren's. The mini Windows XP won't boot. The loading bar fills all the way up...and then nothing. The Linux boot, however, worked fine. I did one of the HD self-test programs there (the extended one), and the HD checked out as fine. Went ahead and did a Memtest run as well, and the RAM passed 3 tests without issue.

I'm currently using the DOS boot to run some more HD checks and see if anything comes up.
Thanks for the update. It is a puzzling case, especially in that it won't do Windows,even from a static image on a CD. It seems to rule out malware. It makes me wonder about hardware, and its relation to different OS's, but my knowledge is not deep enough to suggest why a graphical interface works in one OS but not in another.
Old 2015-06-22, 04:38   #19
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13·89 Posts

I assume that nothing is plugged into the USB buses?

Pull the CMOS battery for a minute, then put it back in. (bios resets when you do this)

edit: this may not be easy in that you may have to remove many layers of poorly designed laptop coverings to get to it. Hopefully it is under the cover with some other system device.

Last fiddled with by chappy on 2015-06-22 at 04:43 Reason: moar infos
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-23, 13:15   #20
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!

May 2013

173710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
I assume that nothing is plugged into the USB buses?

Pull the CMOS battery for a minute, then put it back in. (bios resets when you do this)

edit: this may not be easy in that you may have to remove many layers of poorly designed laptop coverings to get to it. Hopefully it is under the cover with some other system device.
No, nothing in the USB buses. If it's to the point that I'm digging through the laptop, I'll just give it back, though I think I'm rapidly approaching that point.

Found a torrent of a Vista Recovery Disc and tried that...nothing was wrong with the startup files. Did a couple of different HD checks...nothing wrong with it. Redid chkdsk just in case.

I can't remember--is it possible to reinstall Windows without actually doing a full wipe and install? That is, install just the appropriate files to fix Windows?
Old 2015-06-23, 15:08   #21
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

97·103 Posts

You can do a Repair reinstall, aka In Place Upgrade, I think. It is unfortunate that you can't launch Setup from the GUI, but it may let you do a repair run if you boot from an optical drive.
Old 2015-06-23, 15:18   #22
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

245916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
You can do a Repair reinstall, aka In Place Upgrade, I think. It is unfortunate that you can't launch Setup from the GUI, but it may let you do a repair run if you boot from an optical drive.
One thing which is always advised when doing this kind of thing (if you haven't already) is to back everything up (either through a network connection, or to an external USB drive).

As it appears you can boot into Linux you could use such an environment to mount the internal harddrive then rsync / scp everything to another machine, or simply mount the USB drive and "cp -ra /[INTERNAL]/ /[EXTERNAL]/[BACKUP_DIR]/".

(My apologise if I'm telling you how to chew gum...)
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote