Old 2014-06-10, 19:57   #35
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,657 Posts

@Cheesehead et al...

A big part of growing up is being able to enter a confrontational space comfortably.

Few can do it. And almost all fail.

Failure is not actually a big downside.

Failure shows that you're willing to take a risk.

Taking risk is generally good, although few understand that.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-10, 19:59   #36
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Stick to managing your boat.
That's not my boat.
Old 2014-06-10, 21:33   #37
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

2×13×443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
"Bitch" as an insult (or a complement, or a verb) is modern usage. In the past it meant "a female dog in heat".
In the thread title it's used in a common vernacular form meaning "complain loudly." As is "piss" in this context. Using "bitch" to connote a female dog [note: "in heat" is not implied] is not swearing, nor is the bitch = complain usage. [Or at best it's a very mild form of swearing].
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 18:54   #38
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

MODERATOR NOTE:
The post below was originally written in this thread:
http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=19409

Will the moderators take any action to deter Ernst from his over-two-year-long campaign to undermine my forum credibility with his verbal manipulations such as craftily wording his post #15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Allow me to illustrate the above ideas - I'm going to walk away now. If you insist on "dragging the whole bar along" and looking for a fight that is of course your prerogative. Some people just can't let things go.
Note that Ernst has not admitted that his accusation of "strawman" in post #10 was false and unfounded, nor has he admitted that his insinuation earlier in post #10 that I do not understand the priorities of a wartime commander was also false and unfounded.

Note that Ernst has neither retracted nor apologized for his false accusation of "strawman" in post #10, nor has he retracted or apologized for his false and unfounded insinuation in post #10 that I do not understand the priorities of a wartime commander.

So, once again, as in hundreds of other posts over more than two years, Ernst slips in words to undermine my credibility, but he doesn't accept responsibility for his long-term campaign to do that -- a campaign which is a violation of the forum's Code of Conduct.

Note that in post #15, Ernst's skillful wording is designed to mislead unwary readers into thinking that Ernst is virtuous while he undermines my right to protest his Code-of-Conduct-violating behavior.
Quote:
Allow me to illustrate the above ideas - I'm going to walk away now. If you insist on "dragging the whole bar along" and looking for a fight that is of course your prerogative. Some people just can't let things go.
Note how Ernst craftily insinuates that, if I complain about his dishonest wording or complain about his refusal to accept responsibility for his false and misleading attacks on my credibility, somehow _I_ would be exhibiting can't-let-it-go behavior. The truth is that it is _Ernst_ who won't let go of his over-two-year-long campaign to undermine my credibility.

I have, in fact, "let things go" over and over for more than two years, only occasionally posting my complaints. Ernst would like you to forget that all the time I _was_ "letting things go", he _did not let go_ of his campaign to undermine my credibility. It's Ernst who truly doesn't "let go", not me as he would have you mistakenly believe.

Ernst wants you to think that his carefully-worded undermining attacks are okay, while my protests are not. Ernst is very skilled at verbal manipulation that doesn't arouse suspicion by anyone (except his target), but that casts suspicion on the credibility of his target, through little quiet repetitions over and over and over and over and over ...

Ernst has exhibited not a smidgen of guilt that he has been able to falsely convince some gullible forum participants that I have a mental disorder that prevents me from perceiving reality. Moderators have never taken action against Ernst for that blatant violation of the forum Code of Conduct. In fact, moderators have never taken any noticeable action against Ernst except when I complained, and then they gave me equal punishment for the way that I complained.

Giving equal punishment to Ernst and me is like telling Ernst, "We'll slap down your complainer, then afterwards you can continue your quiet Code of Conduct violations without being disturbed."

Will the moderators continue to let Ernst get away with that?

Now, I can understand that Ernst's Code-of-Conduct-violating behavior has slipped under the moderators' radar when I don't complain about it. But _now that I am actively exposing Ernst's predatory manipulations_, I expect the moderators to take action that:

(1) effectively deters Ernst from engaging in this behavior, permanently, not just the next couple of weeks as was the case the last time that moderators took action,

(2) does not punish me for pointing out instances of how Ernst runs his long-term Code-of-Conduct-violating credibility-undermining campaign, and

(3) effectively alerts and educates other forum participants so that they, too, understand Ernst's Code-of-Conduct-violating behavior and are able:
a) to disregard the seeds of doubt about my credibility that Ernst plants over and over and over.
b) to understand Ernst's guilt in his violations of the forum Code of Conduct,
c) to begin to detect for themselves how Ernst crafts words so as to try to verbally manipulate the opinions of other forum participants through underhanded means, and
d) to give me proper credit for exposing Ernst's Code-of-Conduct-violating behavior without being fooled by Ernst's attempts to discredit me or make it seem that my complaints are unwarranted or are evidence of some lacking on my part.

An acceptable alternative would be for the moderators to allow me to perform the education and alerts in part (3) with my own postings. In this, it would be acceptable for the moderators to screen my warnings in advance, so as to eliminate unnecessary comments or insinuations on my own part. I'm seeking to post accurate explanations, not retaliate by saying unfair things about Ernst. If moderators don't want me to do that, then I expect them to do that themselves.

Last fiddled with by Brian-E on 2014-06-26 at 19:18
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 19:51   #39
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Note: I did not see Brian's post in the "POW deal?" thread that asked for cessation in that thread until several minutes later, after I had made some edits to my post. So, the copy above may not reflect all my changes.

Below is a copy as of after the last of my changes:

=========================================================

Will the moderators take any action to deter Ernst from his over-two-year-long campaign to undermine my forum credibility with his verbal manipulations such as craftily wording his post #15?

Quote:
Note that Ernst has not admitted that his accusation of "strawman" in post #10 was false and unfounded, nor has he admitted that his insinuation earlier in post #10 that I do not understand the priorities of a wartime commander was also false and unfounded.

Note that Ernst has neither retracted nor apologized for his false accusation of "strawman" in post #10, nor has he retracted or apologized for his false and unfounded insinuation in post #10 that I do not understand the priorities of a wartime commander.

So, once again, as in hundreds of other posts over more than two years, Ernst slips in words to undermine my credibility, but he doesn't accept responsibility for his long-term campaign to do that -- a campaign which is a violation of the forum's Code of Conduct.

Note that in post #15, Ernst's skillful wording is designed to mislead unwary readers into thinking that Ernst is virtuous while he undermines my right to protest his Code-of-Conduct-violating behavior.
Quote:
Note how Ernst craftily insinuates that, if I complain about his dishonest wording or complain about his refusal to accept responsibility for his false and misleading attacks on my credibility, somehow _I_ would be exhibiting can't-let-it-go behavior. The truth is that it is _Ernst_ who won't let go of his over-two-year-long campaign to undermine my credibility.

I have, in fact, "let things go" over and over for more than two years, only occasionally posting my complaints. Ernst would like you to forget that all the time I _was_ "letting things go", he _did not let go_ of his campaign to undermine my credibility. It's Ernst who truly doesn't "let go", not me as he would have you mistakenly believe.

Ernst wants you to think that his carefully-worded undermining attacks are okay, while my protests are not. Ernst is very skilled at verbal manipulation that doesn't arouse suspicion by anyone (except his target), but that casts suspicion on the credibility of his target, through little quiet repetitions over and over and over and over and over ...

Ernst has exhibited not a smidgen of guilt that he has been able to falsely convince some gullible forum participants that I have a mental disorder that prevents me from perceiving reality. Moderators have never taken action against Ernst for that blatant violation of the forum Code of Conduct. In fact, moderators have never taken any noticeable action against Ernst except when I complained, and then they gave me equal punishment for the way that I complained.

Giving equal punishment to Ernst and me is like telling Ernst, "We'll slap down your complainer, then afterwards you can continue your quiet Code of Conduct violations without being disturbed."

Will the moderators continue to let Ernst get away with that?

Now, I can understand that Ernst's Code-of-Conduct-violating behavior has slipped under the moderators' radar when I don't complain about it. But _now that I am actively exposing Ernst's predatory manipulations_, I expect the moderators to take action that:

(1) effectively deters Ernst from engaging in this behavior, permanently, not just the next couple of weeks as was the case the last time that moderators took action,

(2) does not punish me for pointing out instances of how Ernst runs his long-term Code-of-Conduct-violating credibility-undermining campaign, and

(3) effectively alerts and educates other forum participants so that they, too, understand Ernst's Code-of-Conduct-violating behavior and are able:
a) to disregard the seeds of doubt about my credibility that Ernst plants over and over and over.
b) to understand Ernst's guilt in his violations of the forum Code of Conduct,
c) to begin to detect for themselves how Ernst crafts words so as to try to verbally manipulate the opinions of other forum participants through underhanded means, and
d) to give me proper credit for exposing Ernst's Code-of-Conduct-violating behavior without being fooled by Ernst's attempts to discredit me or make it seem that my complaints are unwarranted or are evidence of some lacking on my part.

An acceptable alternative would be for the moderators to allow me to perform the education and alerts in part (3) with my own postings. In this, it would be acceptable for the moderators to screen my warnings in advance, so as to eliminate unnecessary comments or insinuations on my own part. I'm seeking to post accurate explanations, not retaliate by saying unfair things about Ernst. If moderators don't want me to do that, then I expect them to do that themselves.

- - -

I did not see Brian's next post until after I made several edits to this post. I've deleted the last of those edits, but some may remain in the text above that will not be reflected in the copy Brian made.
Old 2014-06-26, 20:00   #40
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2×23×71 Posts

Sorry for my haste, Richard, didn't realise you were still editing.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 20:07   #41
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

769210 Posts

Let me note that I do not expect the moderators to take action about Ernst's past actions without evidence of those actions. I'm not asking for fast action. If my words seem urgent, it is that I wish to convince of the importance of eventually taking effective action, _not_ that I want immediate action.

Thus, I started earlier this month compiling a list, designed for eventual ease of moderator reference, of Ernst's past (before that earlier June time) posts that contain wording of the type I'm complaining about. It will take a while. I do not ask for action on those past posts before I submit that list to the moderators.

However, it would be appropriate for moderators to take action on Ernst's deceitful provocation in post #15 of the "POW deal?" thread because that has occurred while my previous complaint preparation is in progress and after that earlier date of this month.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2014-06-26 at 20:13
Old 2014-06-28, 21:15   #42
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Just wondering Richard...

Have you ever watched the movie "A Beautiful Mind"?

I, personally, watch it at least once a year. And I resonate with it more and more every time....
Old 2014-06-29, 18:16   #43
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

216478 Posts
Question

Attached Images

Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 22:57   #44
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

769210 Posts
Default [OT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Just wondering Richard...

Have you ever watched the movie "A Beautiful Mind"?
Chris,

You're not as subtle or deep as you think you are.

You're just coy because you're afraid to say straight out what you're hinting, so you can pretend that you're being subtle and deep, and so you can pretend to disavow it if you realize that it was just silly.

Quote:
I, personally, watch it at least once a year. And I resonate with it more and more every time....
Oh? You do? "resonate with it"? (You feel vibrations in your body? Or just in your mind?)

Do you have a room where you've posted newspaper articles on the wall and attached strings between those that are linked at some deep level*? Was that the scene from "A Beautiful Mind" that resonates most? Is that feeling of familiarity the reason you watch that particular movie over and over, year after year (as contrasted with the single time in its release year that most of the rest of us were content to view it)?

... or did you tack on that trailing ellipsis to add profundity ("more and more (pause) every time (pause) ... (ellipsis to convey ongoing deeper and deeper meaning)"), now realize that it just looks silly, and will proceed to try to save face?

- -

* That room-articles-strings gimmick was used in two other movies -- and a cop show on TV -- I saw recently, but I can't recall which ones right now.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2014-06-29 at 23:40 Reason: adding deeper and deeper profundity ...