Old 2013-05-19, 13:56   #1
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3×5×23×29 Posts
Default World’s first water cooled smartphone from NEC

http://www.gizmag.com/nec-medias-x-n...rtphone/27553/

For those of you who speculate about running GIMPS work without melting the phone. Now we just need a tiny, multi-KW-hour battery.

[OT]Sometimes I could swear that Xyzzy wrote the Spell Checker for Firefox. Suggestions for the description of the phone battery above include, "mulch-KW-hour" and "mufti-KW-hour".[/OT]

Quote:
The phrase “the phones are running hot” has the potential for a double meaning in the smartphone age, with increasingly processor-intensive apps being used on mobile devices. Desktop computers make use of water cooling to keep their CPUs from overheating, so why can’t smartphones? Why not, indeed. NEC has done just that with the Medias X N-06E, the world’s first water-cooled smartphone.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 18:26   #2
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3·5·23·29 Posts
Default Graphene batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Now we just need a tiny, multi-KW-hour battery.
On that subject:

https://www.google.com/search?q=grap...ient=firefox-a
Old 2013-05-20, 23:27   #3
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·13·443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
http://www.gizmag.com/nec-medias-x-n...rtphone/27553/

For those of you who speculate about running GIMPS work without melting the phone. Now we just need a tiny, multi-KW-hour battery.
Demonstrating that once you perfect the leakproofness of liquid-filled heatpipes, convection bests conduction every time. Now to address your latter point, if one could kill 2 techno-birds with one stone by way of a liquid-battery technology which allows the entire battery to act as a convective heat pipe, that would be sweet.

Quote:
[OT]Sometimes I could swear that Xyzzy wrote the Spell Checker for Firefox. Suggestions for the description of the phone battery above include, "mulch-KW-hour" and "mufti-KW-hour".[/OT]
Might simply be a kind of "dyslexic Mondays" phenomenon - When I first viewed today's Reuters top story summary e-mail, I was startled and rather amused to read about Powerful tomatoes striking in four central U.S. states. "Statewide pasta sauce flooding expected" as a result, no doubt.

[Nothing funny about the actual properly spelled tornadic events, mind you - and looks like a real monster just hit Oklahoma.]

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2013-05-20 at 23:39
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 23:38   #4
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3·5·23·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Demonstrating that once you perfect the leakproofness of liquid-filled heatpipes, convection bests conduction every time. Now to address your latter point, if one could kill 2 techno-birds with one stone by way of a liquid-battery technology which allows the entire battery to act as a convective heat pipe, that would be sweet.

Might simply be a kind of "dyslexic Mondays" phenomenon - When I first viewed today's Reuters top story summary e-mail, I was startled and rather amused to read about Powerful tomatoes striking in four central U.S. states. "Statewide pasta sauce flooding expected" as a result, no doubt.
Those central states must have mightily PO'd the FSM.

The heat pipe battery is an interesting idea. A friend I sent the story to pointed out graphene lithium ion research. Not exactly liquid, but much higher energy density plus incredibly rapid recharging.