Vanilla! 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2021-06-28, 02:24   #1
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

5·17·97 Posts
Default Subscriptions?

Currently this forum (and mersenne.ca) is funded by anonymous generous donations.

Donation thread: https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13922

We are now offering a very simple monthly subscription model.

The subscription can be cancelled at any time.
Subscribing doesn't get you anything you don't already have.
We will still update the donations thread (monthly) with dollars received and spent.
Subscriptions will be anonymous. Nobody using the forum will be able to tell who is or who isn't a subscriber.
This is entirely voluntary! The whole point of this forum is the FREE exchange of ideas!
The subscription is via Paypal. (We will still accept donations via other methods but we suspect most people will prefer this.)
If we somehow start receiving more money then our operating costs we will figure out an ethical way to spend the excess.

Subscribe here for $1/month!

If you have any questions please ask. (We are also interested in your thoughts about this move.)

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 03:32   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

231508 Posts

Have you looked at Patreon? You can be "creating a community", I think, to satisfy their criteria. Yes, there is loss in the transaction and some folks don't like it. (But as the Great Cheesy One [may his wedge be elevated] would say 95 cents is great than no sense.) But, it is easy. And for those of us who are already Patreons of others it is easy to throw in another sub.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 12:15   #3
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×32×11×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post

Subscribe here for $1/month!

:
A great idea. I'll arrange something soon.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 17:35   #4
BudgieJane

"Jane Sullivan"
Jan 2011
Beckenham, UK

22×5×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Have you looked at Patreon? You can be "creating a community", I think, to satisfy their criteria. Yes, there is loss in the transaction and some folks don't like it. (But as the Great Cheesy One [may his wedge be elevated] would say 95 cents is great than no sense.) But, it is easy. And for those of us who are already Patreons of others it is easy to throw in another sub.
You're right, it's easy; too easy. Imagine my disgust when I saw Patreon was charging me value-added tax on the slice of my hard-earned old-age pension that I choose to give away to the artiste of my choice, especially because I do not consider my Patreon subscription as the purchase price for goods and/or services. No doubt, before the year is out, they'll be deducting US income tax on what I send her, given that the cash can be described as part of her income.

Apart from that, I have no objection to contributing to the upkeep of this organisation. But you may find me sending something like Β£25 once every three years, to avoid the bank charges and foreign exchange losses that sending $1 per month would incur.
BudgieJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-29, 06:33   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

966310 Posts

buymeacoffe.com is a good alternative. I do not have a creator page there, therefore I don't know how is when you get money (probably you have to pay a commission or so), but I am following few "artists" for which I bought coffees, guitar strings, etc. and didn't have to pay a dime more than the bet.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-29, 11:46   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1078210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieJane View Post
You're right, it's easy; too easy. Imagine my disgust when I saw Patreon was charging me value-added tax on the slice of my hard-earned old-age pension that I choose to give away to the artiste of my choice, especially because I do not consider my Patreon subscription as the purchase price for goods and/or services. No doubt, before the year is out, they'll be deducting US income tax on what I send her, given that the cash can be described as part of her income.

Apart from that, I have no objection to contributing to the upkeep of this organisation. But you may find me sending something like Β£25 once every three years, to avoid the bank charges and foreign exchange losses that sending $1 per month would incur.
I am in agreement with you.

I still have some American green (beer vouchers) left over from business trips > 10 years ago and it seems unlikely that I will be visiting the US again any time soon. Perhaps I should put them in an envelope and send to Mike.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-30, 11:54   #7
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

824510 Posts

We will be refunding everyone's money. This plan didn't work out at all.

Apparently Paypal has a minimum fee (34Β’) for each transaction. That mean roughly β…“ of each donation is wasted. (We had expected the usual 3% fee.)

We apologize for the inconvenience we have caused.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-30, 13:00   #8
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·32·11·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We will be refunding everyone's money. This plan didn't work out at all.

Apparently Paypal has a minimum fee (34Β’) for each transaction. That mean roughly β…“ of each donation is wasted. (We had expected the usual 3% fee.)

We apologize for the inconvenience we have caused.

What a pity -- i'll endeavor to make a one-off donation like Jane suggested.

Where is the donations link?

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2021-06-30 at 13:06
Old 2021-06-30, 13:08   #9
firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2·1,303 Posts

look for a dot on the forum frontpage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_10.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	25206  

Last fiddled with by firejuggler on 2021-06-30 at 13:10
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-30, 13:11   #10
axn

Jun 2003

22×31×41 Posts

Patreon is comparatively better, but IIUC, it still takes 20c off a $1 subscription.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-30, 13:19   #11
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×32×11×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
look for a dot on the forum frontpage
The only thing I find is Mike's login page. Can you provide a link to the subscription page for us?

Perhaps there should be a golden M with two vertical bars through it as an icon.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2021-06-30 at 13:22