mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2017-03-10, 21:45   #1
Uncle Lumpy

Mar 2017

3·5 Posts
Default Force 1st time primality test with mprime

Hi...first time poster.

I've been running Prime95/mprime for a long, long time (since we had to contact George directly to check out exponents to test). I just noticed that I have 2 machines which simply will not do a 1st time primality check--both machines default to double checking. They are both 2-year old quad core Xeon machines so I would think they'd still be fast enough to do first time testing. They default to double checking even if I set mprime "type of work to get" to 100.

Any thoughts as to what's happening?

Thanks,
Lumpy
Uncle Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-10, 23:03   #2
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

17·457 Posts

Anything interesting in prime.log?
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-10, 23:28   #3
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

293410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Lumpy View Post
Any thoughts as to what's happening?
Have they completed a double check in the last year? That's the default is to perform one double check per year to find out quickly if a machine is working incorrectly -- both to notify the user and for the project to double check machine's work ahead of time. Since newly registered machines haven't done a double check, that's the first assignment they get.

You can change the setting under Assignment Rules if you don't want to do those double checks.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-10, 23:32   #4
Uncle Lumpy

Mar 2017

3×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
Have they completed a double check in the last year? That's the default is to perform one double check per year to find out quickly if a machine is working incorrectly -- both to notify the user and for the project to double check machine's work ahead of time. Since newly registered machines haven't done a double check, that's the first assignment they get.

You can change the setting under Assignment Rules if you don't want to do those double checks.
That's a really good question. I'm guessing they have not completed a double check in the past year. So after they complete the double check, they'll start doing LL tests? One of the machines has already downloaded a second exponent to double check...

Thanks for the info! I'll look into the assignment rules.

Best,
Lumpy
Old 2017-03-10, 23:37   #5
Uncle Lumpy

Mar 2017

3×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Anything interesting in prime.log?
Oooops! Thanks for the heads up, George. I guess I should have looked at the log before posting since it says right in there that it's doing a double-check for the "yearly hardware check."

Still learning after 21 years of working with GIMPS,
Lumpy
Old 2017-03-11, 03:27   #6
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

3×1,993 Posts

Cool feature, you learn things every day!
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote