mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2011-07-08, 03:24   #1
nwb

23·5·31 Posts
Unhappy In Place Large FFTs Failure

Hi, I've been having some trouble with my first computer build shutting down in games. I just downloaded prime 95 and have found that the "In Place Large FFTs" test will shut my computer down extremely quickly. I had a friend (who knows a bit more about computers than me) try and help me diagnose the problem, he ran some cpu and ram tests on my computer which it passed without error. I've also monitored my temp during the test and i never get above 55c (i7 2600k). So I was wondering if this means that I have a PSU error, or something else that I'm missing entirely. I'm sure this is a rather ignorant question, but I'm still pretty new at this. Thanks.
Old 2011-07-08, 04:32   #2
LiquidNitrogen

Jun 2011
Henlopen Acres, Delaware

2058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwb View Post
Hi, I've been having some trouble with my first computer build shutting down in games. I just downloaded prime 95 and have found that the "In Place Large FFTs" test will shut my computer down extremely quickly. I had a friend (who knows a bit more about computers than me) try and help me diagnose the problem, he ran some cpu and ram tests on my computer which it passed without error. I've also monitored my temp during the test and i never get above 55c (i7 2600k). So I was wondering if this means that I have a PSU error, or something else that I'm missing entirely. I'm sure this is a rather ignorant question, but I'm still pretty new at this. Thanks.
It's most likely the RAM timings on your system if it is overclocked. Is it a stock system?
LiquidNitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-08, 16:04   #3
nwb

164210 Posts
Default In Place Large FTTs failure

I have not altered my rams speed, Its set to auto in the bios. So, It should be at stock speeds.