Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Gap Searches

Old 2020-12-16, 00:30   #34
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×5×587 Posts

I will have a go at this over the Christmas break(starts Friday for me) I have some git experience so I should be able to work that out. Part of my issue will be lack of python knowledge although long term it probably is a language I should learn.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 21:13   #35
Bobby Jacobs

May 2018

3·71 Posts

Can we use this code to finally find maximal prime gaps greater than 264?
Bobby Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 23:10   #36
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·5·587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Jacobs View Post
Can we use this code to finally find maximal prime gaps greater than 264?
This code optimizes finding large gaps rather than aiming for continuous searching.
Old 2020-12-30, 20:55   #37
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·5·587 Posts

I am having a few issues with predictions not matching reality.

Why is sum(prob_minmerit) being overestimated so much in this case? I am searching m * 9973#/208110 +- x. min_merit has been set quite high at 20. Does the min_merit I used for the stats step make any difference?
Code:
            sum(prob_minmerit):   114.86, 73.7/day      found: 3
            sum(prob_record):     58.263, 37.4/day      found: 58
In the attached graph the top left plot has a pink region that seems to start at about 12 merit. What is causing that? Could this be related to the above issue? The theoretical doesn't seem to match the observed at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9973_208110_2000000_8000000_s150000_l20000M.png
Views:	56
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	24083  
Old 2020-12-31, 02:51   #38
SethTro

"Seth"
Apr 2019

3×7×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
I am having a few issues with predictions not matching reality.

Why is sum(prob_minmerit) being overestimated so much in this case? I am searching m * 9973#/208110 +- x. min_merit has been set quite high at 20. Does the min_merit I used for the stats step make any difference?
Code:
            sum(prob_minmerit):   114.86, 73.7/day      found: 3
             sum(prob_record):     58.263, 37.4/day      found: 58
In the attached graph the top left plot has a pink region that seems to start at about 12 merit. What is causing that? Could this be related to the above issue? The theoretical doesn't seem to match the observed at all.
"prob_minmerit" is controlled from two places; `./gap_stats --min-merit X` and `gap_test.py --min-merit Y` you likely didn't set `--min-merit` when you ran gap_stats so it uses the default of merit > 12. I've been thinking of changing the defaults to 20 or maybe 18. It could possible issue a warning or hide that field when gap_stats and gap_test.py are run with different values but I never wrote that code.

I am glad to see prob_records closely matching predictions, I'm running into a lot of issues with it not working in my runs for various real but frustrating to fix reasons.

Sorry the graphs are broken, I made an optimization not to record the probabilities of small gaps when sieve_length is > 100,000 in gap_stats (see here) this makes gap_stats faster at the cost of breaking this graph. You can disable that code by changing line 1034 to `size_t j = 0` this will be slower but will always record the probabilities.
SethTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-31, 11:54   #39
SethTro

"Seth"
Apr 2019

3×7×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethTro View Post
Sorry the graphs are broken, I made an optimization not to record the probabilities of small gaps when sieve_length is > 100,000 in gap_stats (see here) this makes gap_stats faster at the cost of breaking this graph. You can disable that code by changing line 1034 to `size_t j = 0` this will be slower but will always record the probabilities.
I just checked in https://github.com/sethtroisi/prime-...002bf3487d0ced which should fix the graphs in the future. It's technically possible to delete partial data from m_stats, re run gap_stats then update m_stats entries with data from results but I wouldn't advise this.

In the future when using very large SL the graphs will still be truncated but all the probability for the truncated values is still included so they will be normalized correctly. See the attached photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prime_Gap_Statistics_1511.png
Views:	58
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	24087  
Old 2021-01-03, 10:21   #40
SethTro

"Seth"
Apr 2019

3·7·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
The theoretical doesn't seem to match the observed at all.
Took me a couple of days to understand this, you are running with --one-side-skip (or maybe more precisely you are running without --no-one-side-skip). This means that 99% of the time you skip finding the gap to next_prime (because the gap to prev_prime is small) this skews the observed gaps to be much larger. I updated the code so it changes the label which hopefully makes this more apparent and normalizes by the number of m's tested.

I'm not sure if there's something better I could do but they should now roughly match with large gaps being slightly over represented (because we are finding more than expected)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-01-03 02-18-24.png
Views:	49
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	24106  
Old 2021-01-04, 11:56   #41
SethTro

"Seth"
Apr 2019

3·7·13 Posts
Default Medium improvement

I optimized handling of medium primes section of the code and got a 30-40% improvement! For long searches (m_inc > 1M) this is probably more than a 10% overall speedup which I'm very excited about improvement!

I also added short flags; `--save` instead of `--save-unknowns` and `-u` instead of `--unknown-filename`. There are a handful of other changes better combined_sieve time estimation, better plotting (mentioned above), the largest record found with record_check, warnings if sieve_length is unreasonable sized, and a bunch of other things.

I'd encourage everyone to `git pull` for the newest version.
Old 2021-01-23, 01:11   #42
SethTro

"Seth"
Apr 2019

3·7·13 Posts

I made a number of improvements over the last couple of weeks.
Most importantly `combined_sieve` and `gap_stats` are now multithreaded! (you might need to `sudo apt install libomp-dev`)

I test very long intervals (e.g. m_inc > 10 million) which generally took more than a day to finish which left me juggling running multiple combined_sieve / gap_stats / gap_tests at the same time to keep all threads on my computer active.

Now you can sieve, stats, and test an interval with one command
`./misc/run.sh -t 4 -u 907_210_1_15000_s7554_l1000M.txt`

I've also slightly improved `misc/record_check.py` to include largest and smallest record and number of unique records.
Old 2021-02-04, 12:17   #43
robert44444uk

Jun 2003
Oxford, UK

1,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethTro View Post
I made a number of improvements over the last couple of weeks.
Most importantly `combined_sieve` and `gap_stats` are now multithreaded! (you might need to `sudo apt install libomp-dev`)

I test very long intervals (e.g. m_inc > 10 million) which generally took more than a day to finish which left me juggling running multiple combined_sieve / gap_stats / gap_tests at the same time to keep all threads on my computer active.

Now you can sieve, stats, and test an interval with one command
`./misc/run.sh -t 4 -u 907_210_1_15000_s7554_l1000M.txt`

I've also slightly improved `misc/record_check.py` to include largest and smallest record and number of unique records.
Hi Seth, a couple of questions
  • Do the --prp-top-percent and --min-merit handles still work?
  • Will the program pick up automatically after either ctrl c is pressed, or the power outage, or other automated system halts come into play? If so, is the command above the correct one to use?
robert44444uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-05, 10:51   #44
SethTro

"Seth"
Apr 2019

1000100012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert44444uk View Post
Hi Seth, a couple of questions
  • Do the --prp-top-percent and --min-merit handles still work?
  • Will the program pick up automatically after either ctrl c is pressed, or the power outage, or other automated system halts come into play? If so, is the command above the correct one to use?
If you look at `misc/run.sh` it's just a wrapper around

time ./combined_sieve -t $THREADS --save -u "$UNKNOWN_FN"
time ./gap_stats -t $THREADS --save -u "$UNKNOWN_FN"
time ./gap_test.py -t $THREADS -u "$UNKNOWN_FN"

I can add support for `--prp-top-percent` and `--min-merit` this week.

It doesn't have any additional resume behavior (`combined_sieve` has none but if complete wouldn't rerun, `gap_stats` is generally quite fast and doesn't rerun if already finished, `gap_test.py` caches all it's progress and resumes.