mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2004-07-07, 22:09   #1
TTn

3·3,319 Posts
Thumbs up Visual Studio 2005 express beta. FREE!!!

Get it NOW!
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/order/
You can download online as well, if you have the time.......~8hrs+ for me.

Old 2004-07-08, 04:19   #2
E_tron

Sep 2002
Austin, TX

23116 Posts

gah, passport required for the DL...
E_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 09:47   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·7·241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_tron
gah, passport required for the DL...
TANSTAAFL.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 10:54   #4
TauCeti

Mar 2003
Braunschweig, Germany

2×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
TANSTAAFL.
Paul
Exactly! And don't forget the read the EULA very carefully before you decide that it's "FREE!!!":

[...]
Since this SOFTWARE is a prerelease version, some of its Internet-enabled features are turned on by default. Those features collect information from your computer and send it to Microsoft.
[...] If You choose to install and use this SOFTWARE, You authorize the automatic collection of information from your computer by these features.
[...] Recipient may not disclose the results of any benchmark test of the .NET Framework component of the SOFTWARE to any third party without Microsoft’s prior written consent.
[...]The term of this Agreement shall commence on the date accepted by Recipient and will terminate without notice upon the earlier of (i) March 1, 2005 or (ii) commercial release of the SOFTWARE, unless terminated earlier by Microsoft. Microsoft may terminate this Agreement in writing at any time, with or without cause. Upon the termination of this Agreement, Recipient shall cease use of the SOFTWARE, and if so requested, promptly return to Microsoft, or certify destruction of, all full or partial copies of the SOFTWARE provided by Microsoft.

That is not necessary a 'Bad Thing' if you are willing to pay that fee. Just be conscious about it...

Tau
TauCeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 18:49   #5
TTn

28 Posts
Default user agreement

I was able to choose/or not this option during install.
Maybe this is particular to your geography... ?

Besides these user agreements always say outrageous things, like I'll take 50% of your $100,000 prize.... oh wait that was someone else I know.

Last fiddled with by TTn on 2004-07-08 at 18:52 Reason: dig
Old 2004-07-09, 01:17   #6
ColdFury

Aug 2002

26·5 Posts

Quote:
Besides these user agreements always say outrageous things, like I'll take 50% of your $100,000 prize.... oh wait that was someone else I know.
Just to make sure nobody misses this not-so-subtle jab at a person to whom you owe *nothing*. Go write your own program if you want to claim the entire prize.
ColdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 01:50   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7·29·43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFury
Just to make sure nobody misses this not-so-subtle jab at a person to whom you owe *nothing*. Go write your own program if you want to claim the entire prize.
Yes,
By using the program to search for primes in the range you agree to the rules concerning the prize.

Go buy yourself a Mc and use GLucas, or what ever. And don't use PrimeNet to get an expo either.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 10:51   #8
TTn

31×113 Posts
Wink patheticness

Not that I really give a care.

A. I have written my own program, and I owe alot to George, but not $.
B. I would just alter the source, as George suggests one could do.
C. Prime95 can be run without agreeing, so that argument is false.
D. It is not legally binding anyway I have checked, though to claim the prize from the EFF...this would force a contractual basis.
However Prime95 can be used as a free sieve, and upon finding a prime, it would be worth buying mathematica or some other more secure software.

If I was a donkey, I could offer such altered software for a discounted percentage of the prize. This is not what I'm after here.

I do belive all this programming is worth something.
In return I would be charging a fee for membership into a club.
The benefits of the club are free exponents(In my case k & n).
Or you could charge different increments, depending on the p they have been sieved up to. These candidates are much like scratch tickets, or the lottery so why not set it up that way for the masses. The probabilities of finding a prime for both of our projects, are better that of my local lottery's "PowerBall"( $100,000 prize).
Old 2004-07-11, 11:03   #9
optim

Nov 2003
European Union

23·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTn
I am running MPrime and the main reason I do that is to win the $100,000 prize.

I have no problem sharing this money with George because he wrote the program and manages the GIMPS network. I think he provides a useful service to the computation community and he deserves to get some money.
optim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 06:38   #10
Pablo the Duck

Dec 2003
Team China

2·33 Posts

You won't be sharing anything with George. The rules say:

1) Up to $20,000 total will be awarded to the discoverers of new Mersenne primes found after September 1, 1999 and prior to the discovery of the 10,000,000 digit prime. Each new Mersenne prime will receive a maximum of $5,000.

2) Up to $10,000 total will be awarded to the discoverers of mathematical or algorithmic breakthroughs in searching for Mersenne primes.

3) Up to $20,000 will be awarded to GIMPS, Inc. to cover expenses and/or fund future awards.

4) $25,000 will be awarded to the charity of George Woltman's choice for organizing GIMPS and providing the software.

5) The remainder goes to the discoverer of the 10,000,000 digit prime.

So the "discoverer" could actually end up with $25,000 less tax. That's fine by me because I'm not in this for the money. I've tested a few 10M exponents but I prefer factoring. GIMPS is a team activity, if people want to be part of the team they should abide by the team rules (whether or not they happen to be legally binding in New Hampshire) or get the hell out.
Pablo the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 18:13   #11
TTn

7,451 Posts

Ok worker-bee,
I shouldn't have to get the hell out of anywhere... (I'm free)
This conversation has degraded from it's topic.
I have not hunted for Mersenne's with this team, for a long time now.

2) Up to $10,000 total will be awarded to the discoverers of mathematical or algorithmic breakthroughs in searching for Mersenne primes.

Has anyone claimed any of these?
Does this accumulate after a prize is won, and no breakthroughs occur?

3) Up to $20,000 will be awarded to GIMPS, Inc. to cover expenses and/or fund future awards.

Where is the accounting for these expenses, or future awards?
Who owns, or shares GIMPS Inc?

4) $25,000 will be awarded to the charity of George Woltman's choice for organizing GIMPS and providing the software.

This could be a tax write off.
And that's completely ok.