mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Old 2004-06-24, 21:50   #1
Axel Fox

May 2003

6016 Posts
Default Why no Rabin-Miller Tests ?

I recently studied some stuff relating to Rabin-Miller tests and I know that they don't prove a number being prime, but they do prove a number being composite.

So why don't we (before running the LL Test) run a few of these tests ?

It seems that if the number is composite, there's only a 1/4 chance that the number passes even one of these tests, so wouldn't it be quicker to run a few of these and statistically eliminate a whole bunch of numbers before starting the LL test on them ?

Possible answers I thought of myself, but that I am not sure of, so I would like someone to confer one of these or give another reason :
1) the Rabin-Miller test takes longer than the LL Test
2) Mersenne numbers are strong pseudo-primes for most bases (although that it shouldn't be for at least 3/4 of the bases)

Greetings,
Axel Fox.
Axel Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 23:17   #2
S80780

Jan 2003
far from M40

1758 Posts

It is indeed the 1) argument.
For a given exponent, one run of Miller-Rabin on a randomly chosen base would take about the same time as a run of Lucas-Lehmer.
If you compare Miller-Rabin and Lucas-Lehmer for Mersennes, you see that, roughly, the substraction of 2 in Lucas-Lehmer is substituted by a modular multiplication in Miller-Rabin.
So, for about the same cost, Miller-Rabin gives a maybe prime/definitely composite answer whereas Lucas-Lehmer gives a definitely prime/definitely composite answer.
The only advantage of Miller-Rabin is the information, that the tested base is (not) a factor of the Mersennenumber. Anyhow, this information is easier gained by Trial-Factoring, as the modular arithmetic used there is "cheaper".

Benjamin
S80780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 01:57   #3
ColdFury

Aug 2002

26×5 Posts

Any of the probalistic tests would take just as long as a LL test.
ColdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 06:30   #4
TTn

2×7×17×29 Posts
Default non rabin

Well... not any probabilisitic test.
Old 2004-06-26, 07:52   #5
flava

Feb 2003

2×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTn
Well... not any probabilisitic test.
Could you develop on that, please?
flava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 09:46   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

29×349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flava
Could you develop on that, please?
Trial division by all primes up to the cube root of the number.

If no factors are found, you can say that the number is either prime or has precisely two prime factors. In either case, the additional information gained by performing this test greatly increases the likelihood that the number is prime compared with the likelihood before.

It's a silly test, obviously, but it meets the criteria so far stated.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 09:13   #7
flava

Feb 2003

2×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
Trial division by all primes up to the cube root of the number.

If no factors are found, you can say that the number is either prime or has precisely two prime factors. In either case, the additional information gained by performing this test greatly increases the likelihood that the number is prime compared with the likelihood before.

It's a silly test, obviously, but it meets the criteria so far stated.

Paul
I see what you mean, but, unless I am missing something, it looks slower (not even comparable) than a LL test to me. You would have to make trial divisions up to p/3 bits for 2^p-1.
Old 2004-06-27, 13:09   #8
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

23·3·52 Posts

What is the probability that a Mp number will have a factor that lies between the cube root and the square root?

In other words, could a 2^p-1 number have a factor that lies between Sqrt(2^p-1) and Cbrt(2^p-1) and if so, what is the probability of such a factor existing? Just a quick look at this indicates that the probability is very low as compared with a small 2kp+1 factor. My instinct says that the probability should form a hyperbola ranging from K=0 to k=max. Or am I way off base?

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 14:16   #9
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

100111100010012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flava
I see what you mean, but, unless I am missing something, it looks slower (not even comparable) than a LL test to me. You would have to make trial divisions up to p/3 bits for 2^p-1.
My point exactly.

It was claimed, incorrectly, by ColdFury that "Any of the probalistic tests would take just as long as a LL test". I gave a counter-example of a test that would take much longer than a LL test, thereby making TTn's "Well... not any probabilisitic test" claim explicit.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 18:11   #10
flava

Feb 2003

11101102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
My point exactly.

It was claimed, incorrectly, by ColdFury that "Any of the probalistic tests would take just as long as a LL test". I gave a counter-example of a test that would take much longer than a LL test, thereby making TTn's "Well... not any probabilisitic test" claim explicit.

Paul
Now I get it, thanks. I was thinking "faster than LL" rather that "faster OR slower than LL"
Old 2004-06-27, 22:58   #11
Maybeso

Aug 2002
Portland, OR USA

2·137 Posts

Yes, when taken in context, ColdFury's statement should be interpreted as:
"Any of the probalistic tests would take at least as long as a LL test."

To point out the ambiguous phrasing, I think TTn intentionally interpreted it as:
"Any of the probalistic tests would take exactly as long as a LL test."
Maybeso is offline   Reply With Quote