Old 2020-03-24, 14:01   #56
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

32×11×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
You're quibbling about a fraction of a percent. A lot of sources truncate 95.63% ethanol in the azeotrope to 95%, also an easily-memorized figure. Go argue with them.
My "not true" comment was not about the concentration (which is why I used "incidentally" but about your claim that the water concentration can not be reduce by distillation. Your subsequent post indicates that you knew that it can.

Apologies for the ambiguity.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-24, 16:13   #57
Till

"Tilman Neumann"
Jan 2016
Germany

16F16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Maybe they want others to prop up their investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
It seems really unlikely that Boeing will turn around this quickly. They've got too much sh!t on their plate just now. This seems like a broker trying to pump up commissions.
Today Boeing is rallying, currently 15-16% up. Seems to work for Goldman-Sachs :-/
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-24, 18:10   #58
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

11,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
For strong booze here or in La Palma I'm restricted to absinthe. Some of those reach 85% or so, though 60-80% is more typical.
Is it true that absinthe makes the heart grow fonder?

Quote:
Please believe me, I know what I am talking about. Chemistry grad students were always very popular people at university parties.
Did you ever do the heavier-than-regular-water ice cubes maded from heavy (deuterated, not tritiated, mind you) water, Manhattan-project-soirée-style? Drinks containing same best drunk from Vaseline (uranium-containing) glassware under black lights, naturally.

Speaking of black-light fun, a good related gag is making drinks containing tonic water. If you've seen the Harrison Ford film K-19: The Widowmaker, about a real-life Soviet nuckear sub accident, you've see this in action. From the IMDB trivia page for that film: "The blue glow inside the nuclear reactor is known as the Cherenkov effect. In order to simulate it, the crew poured seven hundred two-liter bottles of Canada Dry tonic water and illuminated the reactor with ultraviolet light. The tonic water contains quinine, which emits a bluish glow in the presence of ultraviolet light."

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-03-24 at 18:36
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-24, 19:22   #59
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

32·11·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Is it true that absinthe makes the heart grow fonder?
No, but it is claimed that absinthe makes the tart grow fonder.

Quote:
Did you ever do the heavier-than-regular-water ice cubes maded from heavy (deuterated, not tritiated, mind you) water, Manhattan-project-soirée-style? Drinks containing same best drunk from Vaseline (uranium-containing) glassware under black lights, naturally.
. D2O was far too expensive for such escapades.
Quote:
Speaking of black-light fun, a good related gag is making drinks containing tonic water. If you've seen the Harrison Ford film K-19: The Widowmaker, about a real-life Soviet nuckear sub accident, you've see this in action. From the IMDB trivia page for that film: "The blue glow inside the nuclear reactor is known as the Cherenkov effect. In order to simulate it, the crew poured seven hundred two-liter bottles of Canada Dry tonic water and illuminated the reactor with ultraviolet light. The tonic water contains quinine, which emits a bluish glow in the presence of ultraviolet light."
Good, you call that good? This is good.

Add a gram or so of fluorescein to a keg of beer, remove the regular light bulbs in the toilets and replace them with UV lamps.

Works instantly with men but women notice the effect a minute or two later.
Old 2020-03-24, 19:55   #60
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·2,011 Posts

Quote:
Of course you can just go with some indicators that pass through unchanged. Some are even non-toxic in the desired amounts.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-24, 21:06   #61
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

32×11×101 Posts

Quote:
Of course you can just go with some indicators that pass through unchanged. Some are even non-toxic in the desired amounts.
Fluorescein does pass through unchanged. That's the whole point.
Old 2020-03-24, 22:09   #62
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,251 Posts

Quote:
Add a gram or so of fluorescein to a keg of beer, remove the regular light bulbs in the toilets and replace them with UV lamps.

1) What do you use to add fluorescein to a keg of beer?

2) Which effect? The effect of fluorescein in urine under a blacklight, or the effect on ambient light from replacing the regular bulbs with UV lamps?
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-24, 22:29   #63
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22×2,011 Posts

Quote:
Fluorescein does pass through unchanged. That's the whole point.
I am talking about coloured items that make the "user" think they have a real problem. Not under UV. If it can be encapsulated in something the dyes used in antifreeze are not toxic at low levels and a little bit goes a looong way.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-24, 23:44   #64
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,251 Posts

Quote:
I am talking about coloured items that make the "user" think they have a real problem. Not under UV. If it can be encapsulated in something the dyes used in antifreeze are not toxic at low levels and a little bit goes a looong way.
An old standby is methylene blue in blueberry pie. Not many foods can disguise the intense blue color.

There are also well known agents that impart unusual odors to urine. One of these is turpentine, which imparts the smell of violets. Another is asparagus, which imparts a foul smell. This inspired a famous poem that begins,

Mercaptan, mercaptan, our fearful trip is done...
Old 2020-03-25, 07:23   #65
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

32×11×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
1) What do you use to add fluorescein to a keg of beer?

2) Which effect? The effect of fluorescein in urine under a blacklight, or the effect on ambient light from replacing the regular bulbs with UV lamps?
1) A teaspoon. Fluorescein is a reddish-brown powder. It only fluoresces bright yellow-green in solution.

2) The former. That's the reason for the sex difference. Men see it instantly, women not until they have stood up.

You've clearly never been to a party organized by chemistry grad students.
Old 2020-03-25, 12:14   #66
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1100101100112 Posts

Quote:
1) A teaspoon. Fluorescein is a reddish-brown powder. It only fluoresces bright yellow-green in solution.
I know what fluorescein is. I was thinking of the contents of a beer keg generally being under some pressure, and there not being a large enough hole to drop in powder. I infer that you have to remove the gizmo the tap attaches to, to gain access to the inside of the keg. Equalizing the pressure without spraying beer all over creation would be the critical part of that operation, I guess.

Or perhaps you're referring to a different type of keg than those I'm familiar with.

I'd figured the standing-up part. I merely asked by way of pointing out that the regular bulbs being replaced by UV lamps is rather a giveaway.

Quote:
You've clearly never been to a party organized by chemistry grad students.
I thank the Lord for His infinite mercy...