Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Wikis > Prime Wiki

Old 2019-01-30, 11:59   #34
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2,801 Posts

I'm just considering the following topics:

1. Page naming/creation for numbers/primes
I thought it would be a good idea to separate primes and non-primes, so those different categories.
But:
Creating pages for "Lucas number" and "Lucas prime" is a bit of double the work.
Wikipedia goes this path by using redirects (I really don't like them, but sometimes seems necessary).
So: "Lucas prime" redirects to "Lucas number" where both of them handled.
This seems the best way for further edits: only one page for all information.
The redirect-page can than be categorized under [[Category:Prime]], the main page under [[Category:Number]].

2. So the next issue:
I think it's a beeter choice to use singular instead of the plural, so 'Number' instead of 'Numbers'.
Reason: most referenced on other pages the singular is needed so "[[Lucas number]]" will create the text 'Lucas number', and "[[Lucas number]]s" will create 'Lucas numbers' as linked pages.

3. The categorization is still a matter I'm not pleased with.
The category "Math" contains all math related pages or subcategories. 'Number' and 'Prime' as sub-cat here instead own top-cat!?
or...
The GIMPS page should be converted in a category, because there're many other pages containing topics to this project.
Creating sub-pages could be another option.

4. Help needed
This page contains expressions in the <math>-topics like "\operatorname{soln2}" but these could not be generated correctly. Does anyone know how to handle these?

5. Needed pages (like here)
There're many dead link pages: do we need them really? I used to give external links like Wikipedia to get a start point for further information, but those dead links should be deleted. We don't want to copy the whole Wiki pages again here.

Much to evaluate and problems to solve, but who said it's only fun.

ToDo's
- Template for number/prime clases like at Wikipedia
- Template for projects like for programs

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2019-01-30 at 12:03 Reason: todo
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-31, 21:39   #35
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2,801 Posts

I've just inserted a help page for the math rendering in the Wiki.

No all commands as in LaTeX are available (for example no all Greek capital letters) but enough to make komplex equations.

Perhaps a page with such example equations will come later.
Old 2019-02-01, 14:13   #36
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

AF116 Posts

Example for project pages/subpages:

The main page (here "Seventeen or Bust", totally outdated and done by PrimeGrid now, but available in the old Wiki) contains the overview of the project.
- history
- sort of searching
- recent results
- links to subpages
- external links
- project status as infobox (more data can be implemented to show then)

The Category contains all pages of this project:
This 'page' can also be filled with some data and the 'Pages in..' or the page listing can be shut off to make the page clearer to read.

A subpage like Factoring contains specific data and information about that topic. A template for redirect to the main project page should be inserted.

The Primes subpage contains a table of found primes, sortable by standard class "wikitable".
The primes given as link to Top5000 page and a <math>-coding:
Code:
<math>4847\cdot2^{3\,321\,063}+1</math>
4847\cdot2^{3\,321\,063}+1

seems the best to display such numbers in math-mode.
In text-mode this could/should be "4847*2^3321063+1" or "4847*2<sup>3321063</sup>+1" ( displayed as "4847*23321063+1").

So:
Every project got it's own category, the main page and optional subpages with more details.

And no need for redirects like "SeventeenOrBust", "Seventeen or bust" or "SoB": the search will find all of them. A problem from the old data were the different spellings, but a link to the page is casesensitive and to avoid redirects all have to be changed to the correct one.

More work to do before the GoLive.
Old 2019-02-06, 16:35   #37
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2,801 Posts

I've enhanced the page with the known Mersenne primes (see 2nd table, not yet all data avaiable, M51 only).

Purpose:
If any new Mersenne prime is found, there will be a seperate page with all data and the page with that table above, but both has to be edited.

Solution:
Using a template MersData at every page of those Mersenne primes will store these data (currently not shown on that page as infobox or like that, only visible in the source code of the page).
On the page with the list a table will be generated automatically from those template data of every single Mersenne prime page.

Advantage:
No twice editings here and the shown data are consistent.
Old 2019-02-06, 17:35   #38
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

1F7316 Posts

Since you are looking at templates now:
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...32&postcount=5
Infoboxes are a type of template. I was trying to set up some back in the day. With people there are details like MP found, vitals, name, image, etc. For software: platform, version, test types supported, date of introduction, etc. For MP's the info in your table could be in an info box on its page. Projects: website, forum link, software needed, who runs/started it, succinct goal, etc. Maybe websites might be able to use one too.
As I said in my post, I was trying to borrow the code from Wikipedia.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-06, 22:20   #39
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

280110 Posts

Correct: infoboxes are made of templates like Prime number classes (for a box of links to similiar topics) or like Infobox Nebula (to show information in a separate box on top of the page).

The latter I'm going to implement for such examples you gave.
The problem is, you can't only copy such templates from Wikipedia, because of their high use of other templates and modules not available in this Wiki, so you have to design an own one or rewrite them.
In any case you can use those as examples to see how it works and is done.
Old 2019-02-07, 00:53   #40
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2,801 Posts

As a first look an infobox for Mersenne primes could look like the attached image for M51.

Some data in the text on the left side can be deleted then.
Empty/not given fields can be made invisible in the infobox, all fields can be used for the listed table in the post above.

Same precedure for projects, websites, persons, programs,...
Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M51.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	19866  

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2019-02-07 at 00:53
Old 2019-02-08, 10:42   #41
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

280110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...32&postcount=5
Infoboxes are a type of template. I was trying to set up some back in the day.
I've restored your Template:Infobox with some additions.

The definition of the fields is only half of the template. So copying the definition and filling the fields into another page won't show anything.

To display the Infobox, you have to define the output by using the field paramters as {{{title}}} for example:
Code:
<div style="width: auto; float: right; padding: 5px; border: solid 1px black;">
{|
! align="center" colspan="2" style="background:Gainsboro; font-size:150%"| {{{title}}}
|-
| '''{{{label3}}}''' || {{{data3}}}
|-
| '''{{{label4}}}''' || {{{data4}}}
|-
| '''{{{label5}}}''' || {{{data5}}}
|-
| '''{{{label6}}}''' || {{{data6}}}
|-
| '''{{{label7}}}''' || {{{data7}}}
|-
| '''{{{label8}}}''' || {{{data8}}}
|-
| '''{{{label9}}}''' || {{{data9}}}
|-
| '''{{{label10}}}''' || {{{data10}}}
|-
| '''{{{label11}}}''' || {{{data11}}}
|-
| '''{{{label12}}}''' || {{{data12}}}
|-
| '''{{{label13}}}''' || {{{data13}}}
|-
|}
</div>
I've used the css-styles from my template shown above, because your used "bodyclass" and "titleclass" I don't know how they were defined or where they from.

All comments in such template surrounded by "<noinclude></noinclude>" tags (don't show this text when the template is used).
All data in "<includeonly></includeonly>" tags will be shown, if using the template on any page.
So the above goes here (see source-code in the Wiki).

As an example I've given some data and the output on the template-page, but because I don't know the original output, this could differ from yours.
Old 2019-02-08, 14:59   #42
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

1F7316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
I've restored your Template:Infobox with some additions.

The definition of the fields is only half of the template. So copying the definition and filling the fields into another page won't show anything.
It has been so long, my memory is faint. Keep up the good work.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-10, 01:51   #43
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

33×11 Posts

Keep in mind that Wikpedia is licensed under the CC-BY-SA license, while this wiki has a CC-BY-NC-SA (and thus incompatible) license. I don't know why this wiki even has this license (was it MersenneWiki's license?).
Happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-10, 08:36   #44
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2,801 Posts

CC-BY-SA:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.

So everyone can copy all data/pages, make for example a book of it and sell it for $50?

Following this chart I have chosen the NC-SA (non commercial) type.

What about errors in such a book? Who will be responsable for such errors?
All data shown in this Wiki are freely reachable by everyone and references are given.
Own researches (not allowed in Wikipedia without reference) can listed here, too.