Closed Thread

Old 2019-07-10, 02:10   #34
carpetpool

"Sam"
Nov 2016

22·79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel View Post

their formula is obviously incorrect mine is accurate now for m1 to m51, so the law of mathematics if the formula gives us m1 to m51 then the 52 term must be m52, that is like the basic of mathematics how u not know
It's more like a heuristic (or estimate even), not a formula. Again, don't take it too seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by primes.utm.edu;
"One thing is that given one Mersenne prime exponent's p, the next one will fall, on the average, near 1.47576*p".
I will admit, the most recent Mersenne primes fell below average of this estimate, perhaps M52 will fall above average this time... or maybe not.

Curiously, I discovered this so called "formula" is also good for estimating the next prime of the form k*b^n+-1 (assuming there exist an infinite number of primes of this form):

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_prime;
The expected number of prime numbers of the form
(a^p - b^p)/(a - b)
with prime p between n and a*n is about e^Ξ³ (or 1.781).
Old 2019-07-10, 07:31   #35
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

236218 Posts

Quote:
how dare u call me twit, i dont know how to read python
Otto, you are condemned out of your own mouth. By calling you a twit I was being gentle and pulling my punches.

Here you are, given a completely relevant post in a subject about which you care passionately, and you are too stupid even to try to work out what it means. I don't read lots of things --- my Python is very poor indeed --- but I did at least make an attempt to read it.

As well as uneducated, you didn't even try to run the program and examine its outputs. Is that really the behaviour expected of some one as smart as you claim to be?

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2019-07-10 at 07:39
Old 2019-07-10, 07:39   #36
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

7·1,447 Posts

I didn't change the title of the thread but I am wondering why "cereus" was chosen.
Changer: you can not be Siruis.

What is the possible relevance to this thread of either something which is either a green prickly vegetable, or an organism the output of which can which can cause nausea and vomiting?
Old 2019-07-10, 07:52   #37
nomead

"Sam Laur"
Dec 2018
Turku, Finland

23×41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
What is the possible relevance to this thread of either something which is either a green prickly vegetable, or an organism the output of which can which can cause nausea and vomiting?
Being a prick who causes nausea?
Old 2019-07-10, 14:30   #38
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

100010001011002 Posts

Quote:
how dare u call me twit, i dont know how to read python
Ignorance is no excuse. (Note there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. Often one can lead to the other, but it is not a given.) As Paul pointed out, you should at least attempt to figure it out. Also, for you it would be good to learn python. You can knock together some code to do number crunching with it. It is fairly human readable, widely used (so you can find the work of others and borrow it), and free. Any budding math scholar should have that in their tool kit.

Your argument that predicting all of something up to a certain point, does not consist of a proof. (Look up the early history of Mersenne primes to see this in action. There are also other sequences that fail after a large number of elements that conform [if you can't find examples, ask and I am sure that someone here can point you to a few].) A proof is a logical, mathematically defensible reason. It is not a guess, not just a bunch of data, nor an idea or feeling. It is a logical string of knowns that establish the validity of the thing sought to be proved. Don't you remember geometry and working through proofs? That same rigor applies to math and number theory.

BTW, are you trying to deny Paul the freedom of speech that you are trying to claim you have?

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2019-07-11 at 13:54 Reason: added a ,
Old 2019-07-10, 15:51   #39
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Read up about Lagrange interpolation. It is a real thing. It creates a degree n-1 polynomial for n input values. And it allows us to ask for values off the fitted curve.

But maybe the python code is too advanced for you to understand.
I find it extremely funny that a poster whose avatar appears to be a snake, doesn't know python.

I don't know python, either. But I don't have to in order to know what the program is doing. The key phrase "Lagrange interpolation" outside the code tells anyone who bothers to read the post what the program is supposed to be doing. I do know what Lagrange interpolation is.

If samuel doesn't, and hasn't bothered looking it up -- or didn't bother reading the post in the first place -- he obviously isn't really interested anyway.

Old 2019-07-10, 17:04   #40
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

23×7×163 Posts

Quote:
Changer: you can not be Siruis.
"I am cereus, and don't call me Shirley!"
Old 2019-07-11, 12:23   #41
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1101111111112 Posts

Quote:
Otto, you are condemned out of your own mouth. By calling you a twit I was being gentle and pulling my punches.
<snip>
They didn't in this Monty Python sketch
Old 2019-07-11, 13:31   #42
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2×3×773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetpool View Post
It's more like a heuristic (or estimate even), not a formula.
Whatever it is, it's a long ways from any sort of mathematical proof, but maybe he thinks it qualifies as this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_induction

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2019-07-11 at 13:39
Old 2019-07-11, 14:12   #43
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2·3·773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Read up about Lagrange interpolation. It is a real thing. It creates a degree n-1 polynomial for n input values. And it allows us to ask for values off the fitted curve.

But maybe the python code is too advanced for you to understand.
And like other high order polynomial fits, it's notoriously unreliable in extrapolation beyond the data bounds. And it can also be pretty wild between the sorted data points.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2019-07-11 at 14:13
Old 2019-07-11, 14:23   #44
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

10110101111102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
And like other high order polynomial fits, it's notoriously unreliable in extrapolation beyond the data bounds. And it can also be pretty wild between the sorted data points.
Hehe. Well according to samuel ...
Quote:
... any polynomials f(X) that gives you f(1)=M1,f(2)=M2...........f(51)=M51, of corse common sense tells u f(52)=M52. so if u found such a polynomial (u r probably lying) then of course u found M52?
... I have found M52.

It seems the type of polynomial doesn't matter. Just any polynomial will do. As long as f(1)=M1, etc. then you're good to go.
Closed Thread