Aug 2002
Team Italia

17·283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgoode View Post

Bizarre Hexagon Spotted on Saturn
http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...aturn_hex.html

Mally
On the north pole. Funny, we would use poles to try and hide information...

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 22:36   #3
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

101101011010012 Posts

Standing waves and convection cells having a hexagonal shape are quite common in fluid dynamics, but it is quite interesting to see a coherent well-shaped one at such a large physical scale. But then again, there are lots of weather phenomena on the large as planets (e.g. Jupiter's great red spot) which have no real counterpart back home here on earth.

I'm holding out for a giant planetary-scale smiley face....emoticons on Saturn! :)
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 07:58   #4
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

101001100100112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I'm holding out for a giant planetary-scale smiley face....emoticons on Saturn! :)
Not quite planetary scale, but Galle crater on Mars is a superb example of a smiley.

Substantially larger than planetary scale: take a look at NGC 2392 in Gemini for another astronomical human face, though this one is not smiling. It's a fairly easy object in a moderately large amateur telescope and I've seen it myself several times.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 16:30   #5
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

40048 Posts
Lightbulb Poles Apart !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
On the north pole. Funny, we would use poles to try and hide information...

Luigi

This most probably is a natural phenomenon and not created by any intelligence existing on Saturn judging from the planetary scale and size.

However if it is created by any intelligence, the object would be to propagate well known mathematical properties to another intelligence to let us know there is someone there besides us.

NASA sent out a plaque into deep space with the Pythagoras theorem, a picture of a man and woman (nude too!) and the the number of vibrations and speed of visible light which is a natural constant. To hide such info would defeat the purpose.

Since these photographs were captured by space craft I am not sure if this hexagon on the pole would be visible directly by us.

Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 16:45   #6
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

265518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Not quite planetary scale, but Galle crater on Mars is a superb example of a smiley.

Substantially larger than planetary scale: take a look at NGC 2392 in Gemini for another astronomical human face, though this one is not smiling. It's a fairly easy object in a moderately large amateur telescope and I've seen it myself several times.
Thanks for the atro-tips, Paul. I should've been clearer: what I'm looking for are specifically large-scale *meteorological* phenomena in the shape of a smiley face.

Also, what you describe are basically random patterns in nature that happen to get anthropomorphized by our human visual apparatus into "faces," whereas the hexagonal cloud pattern on Saturn in Mally's post is likely the result of a coherent fluid-mechanical wave phenomenon, i.e. anything but random.

Cheers,
-E
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 17:26   #7
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22·33·19 Posts
Thumbs up Smileys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Thanks for the atro-tips, Paul. I should've been clearer: what I'm looking for are specifically large-scale *meteorological* phenomena in the shape of a smiley face.

Also, what you describe are basically random patterns in nature that happen to get anthropomorphized by our human visual apparatus into "faces," whereas the hexagonal cloud pattern on Saturn in Mally's post is likely the result of a coherent fluid-mechanical wave phenomenon, i.e. anything but random.

Cheers,
-E
-E since you are a master in fluid dynamics it is some consolation that it can occur naturally and is not a random phenomenon.

Looking for patterns in a random sample can be quite deceiving. Put some ink blots on a piece of paper and if looked at hard and long enough your brain can envision a portrait of Christ !

The image formed is created by the brain and will give a similarity of whatever you want to perceive it to be.

Why reach for the stars when we have the moon given to us to observe with the naked eye. I am sure you have seen a human face in it at some stage of your life. Well if you want it to smile you can see it if you are optimistic enough depending on your mood at the time.

If you have quarelled with your wife dont expect to see a smiling moon!

If you have survived 42 years for which we are celebrating our anniversary today I can say the moon is as yellow as the day we watched it together when we first met.

Cheers !

Mally
Old 2007-03-30, 17:38   #8
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

17×283 Posts

Quote:

NASA sent out a plaque into deep space with the Pythagoras theorem, a picture of a man and woman (nude too!) and the the number of vibrations and speed of visible light which is a natural constant. To hide such info would defeat the purpose.
Mally

So here is the answer! 6 is the smallest perfect number which includes 3 (the sides of the triangle), 2 (the powering value) and 1 (the triangle itself)!

Luigi
Old 2007-03-30, 17:42   #9
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

17×283 Posts

Quote:
If you have survived 42 years for which we are celebrating our anniversary today I can say the moon is as yellow as the day we watched it together when we first met.

Cheers !

Mally
Congratulation dance!

Luigi
Old 2007-03-31, 05:23   #10
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

1000000001002 Posts
Lightbulb Perfect numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post

So here is the answer! 6 is the smallest perfect number which includes 3 (the sides of the triangle), 2 (the powering value) and 1 (the triangle itself)!

Luigi

You have a point Luigi.

I looked up my book---- Numbers by David Wells.

He has given a two page entry on the number 6.

Of the many, similar to yours, he has given one, I found is interesting, and not totally unconnected with Maths.

It is by the theologian philosopher, scientist, you name him, St. Augustine.

ASFAIK. He was Italian who studied in North Africa.

He wrote:

' 6 is a number perfect in itself.... God created all things in 6 days because this number is perfect. And it would remain perfect, even if the work of 6 days did not exist [Bieler]'

Numbers ? There is no law of entropy that can be associated with them. This is in ref: to your post in 'Life after death'

Mally
Old 2007-03-31, 10:54   #11
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

481110 Posts

Quote:

Numbers ? There is no law of entropy that can be associated with them. This is in ref: to your post in 'Life after death'

Mally
In fact, I was talking about life energy...

Luigi