Old 2020-04-12, 16:00   #595
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

235368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
But one may ask, whose portrait adorned the wall of Adolph Hitler's office?
I have been trying hard to keep my proo-freading [sic] instincts in check but this is not the first time I've seen der Führer's name spelled incorrectly here in recent days.

It is Adolf Hitler.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-12, 16:38   #596
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1100110000102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I have been trying hard to keep my proo-freading [sic] instincts in check but this is not the first time I've seen der Führer's name spelled incorrectly here in recent days.

It is Adolf Hitler.
Jawohl.

My text editor's stupid spell checker kept flagging "adolf." Being tired, I mindlessly appeased it.

I leave the spell checker on because I make so many typos, it is actually quite useful to me.

This particular problem is fixed. I have ordered it to accept the spelling "adolf." It has complied.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-12, 18:17   #597
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

3·3,761 Posts

Re. whose-portrait-is-on-Adolf's-office-wall, my gues would've been a signed one of his good friend and colleague, Ron Vibbentrop. Or perhaps one of Bimmler.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-12, 20:48   #598
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

2·5,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Re. whose-portrait-is-on-Adolf's-office-wall, my gues would've been a signed one of his good friend and colleague, Ron Vibbentrop. Or perhaps one of Bimmler.
You are confusing him with a certain Mr Hilter, the notorious baby biter.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-13, 21:36   #599
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3×3,301 Posts
Default Crooks and Liars in DC

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...upply-seizures
This has Kushner's bloody hand prints all over it.

Quote:
Here are a couple more details on shipment seizures and inter-state bidding we’ve been discussing here in recent days. Both are interviews on this evening’s Newshour, flagged to me by TPM Reader KM.
Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D-IL) appeared to confirm one point that remained ambiguous from the press conference last week in which Rear Admiral Polowczyk explained the ‘Airbridge’ flights from China. According to Pritzker, the US military planes airlift the PPE and other medical supplies to the US and then hand them over to the major medical supply distributors the White House taskforce is working with. That part was clear from the discussion April 2nd. What Pritzker confirmed is that the states then have to bid against each other to purchase the supplies from those distributors.

Gov @GovPritzker confirms that the federal ‘Air Bridge’ flights from China, organized by the White House taskforce, are bringing PPE back from China which are then turned over to private companies. The states then have to bid against each other to purchase from those companies. pic.twitter.com/QG62dWtQuc
— Josh Marshall (@joshtpm) April 7, 2020
The distributors are McKesson Corp., Owens & Minor, Cardinal Health, Medline Industries and Henry Schein.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-04-13 at 21:38
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-13, 22:11   #600
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

FDC16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
It's not clear to me which part you object to and on what basis. Government intrusion into a free market? Use of government owned planes instead of or in addition to the fleets of Fedex, DHL, UPS, et al? People paying for what they receive?
Do you prefer more than just pilots go to China, to seize the PPE without the prospect of anyone paying, fly it to the US, and give it away? Now that could be very bloody.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-04-13 at 22:12
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-13, 22:15   #601
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3·3,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
It's not clear to me which part you object to and on what basis. Government intrusion into a free market? Use of government owned planes instead of or in addition to the fleets of Fedex, DHL, UPS, et al? People paying for what they receive?
Do you prefer more than just pilots go to China, to seize the PPE without the prospect of anyone paying, fly it to the US, and give it away? Now that could be very bloody.
I prefer not to answer your specious questions. If you can't see the problems, I can't cure your blindness.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-04-13 at 22:59
Old 2020-04-13, 23:37   #602
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

4,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
If the federal gvmt has arranged to acquire the goods, why are they being turned over to private distributors? And why are states bidding at all, let alone against each other? Why isn't FEMA or similar simply distributing directly to hospitals as needed, cutting out the other steps?

Acquire -> hand off to private companies -> sell to states -> distribute from states to hospitals / locations in need. You don't see a problem here?

How about Acquire -> distribute to locations in need?
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-13, 23:45   #603
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

214748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
That would be "Big Government". Can't have that -- where's the profit?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-13, 23:47   #604
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×2,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
No. Then none of the politician's cronies can make money in order to give kickbacks to said politician. We can't have that.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-14, 01:45   #605
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3·3,301 Posts

Thanks, VBCurtis. You lay things out very directly. I didn't have it in me.

chalsall and retina: I share your gallows humor. It seems that there is nothing to stop the pillage. The corporatist powers see the real crash coming and are stripping the treasury down to a mountain of debt while people go without treatment, and caregivers go without protection.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4/12/1936741/-FEMA-Was-Planning-to-Seize-Masks-Destined-for-States-Until-the-FBI-Found-Out-They-Were-Fake?
Quote:
FEMA Was Planning to Seize Masks Destined for States --

Until the FBI Found Out They Were Fake
A major California labor union that claimed to have discovered a stockpile of 39 million masks for health care workers fighting the coronavirus was duped in an elaborate scam uncovered by FBI investigators, according to a newspaper report Sunday. …
Investigators stumbled onto the scheme while looking into whether they could intercept the masks for the Federal Emergency Management Agency under the Defense Production Act, the U.S. attorney’s office said Friday.
The federal government has been quietly seizing supplies across the country as the outbreak spreads. But in this case, there was no warehouse, and there were no masks to seize, the Los Angeles Times reported. [emphasis added]

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-04-14 at 01:45