mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-04-07, 15:46   #540
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·5·991 Posts

Mayor Lori Lightfoot (of Chicago)is doing "Stay Home" Public Service Announcements which are really funny.
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...lives/2247859/
Then, too, she turned up as a warrior queen, which totally cracks me up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen Lightfoot.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	21992  

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-04-07 at 15:46
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 18:09   #541
Till

"Tilman Neumann"
Jan 2016
Germany

23×72 Posts

First report of emergency from a "not that highly developed" country I read:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/03/a...ntl/index.html

Solution:
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world...tl-hnk-vpx.cnn

Ecuadors HDI is not that bad, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecuador.

I fear that less developed countries will suffer more. Dont believe that the summer gives a big release, because there has been fine weather in southern Europe for a while...
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 18:58   #542
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post
Dont believe that the summer gives a big release, because there has been fine weather in southern Europe for a while...
One of the advantages of those in the equatorial zone is the high amount of UV radiation. But I agree with you -- developing nations are potentially going to be hit hard, largely because of the lack of medical resources for those who do get sick.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 19:40   #543
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

260608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
One of the advantages of those in the equatorial zone is the high amount of UV radiation. But I agree with you -- developing nations are potentially going to be hit hard, largely because of the lack of medical resources for those who do get sick.
Biggest problems are with close-range airborne and on surfaces. The former, the virus probably doesn't linger in the air long enough for UV to kill it, even in bright sunshine. Indoors is the bigger problem for both transmission modes - I'm wearing my 3-ply surgical earloop mask down under my chin when I'm outside away from other people, pull it up over mough and nose whenever I'm indoors near people, e.g. hllways, elevators, grocery shopping. You can use a strong UV source to sterilize indoor surfaces, but rubbing alcohol seems just as effective and is multipurpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
I know I should not wish ill upon anyone, However, BoJo, like Trump, took a relaxed and dismissive approach to Coronavirus. It would be equally poetically just if our Prez met the consequences attendant on his obstruction of a rational response to the pandemic.
So you'd rather have religious nutter Pence in charge? Or just have the virus kill all the foolish people in DC until the next-in-line for POTUSship is "the next FDR"? Dude, do your pay attention to the kinds of people who populate DC these days? Because I gotta tell you, "next FDR"s are in direly short supply. Obama was elected based on hopes of filling that role, and turned out to be just another bought-and-paid-for neoliberal elite-looter-and-self-serving scumbag like all the rest. But he was sooooooo "presidential" -- reams of soaring rhetoric™ reaching to the sky.

In a crisis, you gotta go with the (mis)leadership you got -- with Trump, he seems to have finally "gotten it" in thepast 2-3 weeks, so better late than never. Sure, he's still noising about "back in business soon!" in his role as optimist-in-chief, but he's listening to his top medical advisers when it comes to actual policy.

BTW, NC had an article yesterday illustrating that pandemic-preparedness incompetence - and outright sabotage in this case - is not an R vs D issue but rather a "when money rules everthing" one:

Coronavirus: A Theory of Incompetence | naked capitalism
Quote:
Leaders in the public and private sector in advanced economies, typically highly credentialed, have with very few exceptions shown abject incompetence in dealing with coronavirus as a pathogen and as a wrecker of economies. The US and UK have made particularly sorry showings, but they are not alone.

It’s become fashionable to blame the failure to have enough medical stockpiles and hospital beds and engage in aggressive enough testing and containment measures on capitalism. But as I will describe shortly, even though I am no fan of Anglosphere capitalism, I believe this focus misses the deeper roots of these failures.

After all the country lauded for its response, South Korea, is capitalist. Similarly, reader vlade points out that the Czech Republic has had only 2 coronavirus deaths per million versus 263 for Italy. Among other things, the Czech Republic closed its borders in mid-March and made masks mandatory. Newscasters and public officials wear them to underscore that no one is exempt.

Even though there are plenty of examples of capitalism gone toxic, such as hospitals and Big Pharma sticking doggedly to their price gouging ways or rampant production disruptions due to overly tightly-tuned supply chains, that isn’t an adequate explanation. Government dereliction of duty also abound. In 2006, California’s Governor Arnold Schwarznegger reacted to the avian flu by creating MASH on steroids. From the LA Times:

They were ready to roll whenever disaster struck California: three 200-bed mobile hospitals that could be deployed to the scene of a crisis on flatbed trucks and provide advanced medical care to the injured and sick within 72 hours.

Each hospital would be the size of a football field, with a surgery ward, intensive care unit and X-ray equipment. Medical response teams would also have access to a massive stockpile of emergency supplies: 50 million N95 respirators, 2,400 portable ventilators and kits to set up 21,000 additional patient beds wherever they were needed…

“In light of the pandemic flu risk, it is absolutely a critical investment,” he [Governor Schwarznegger] told a news conference. “I’m not willing to gamble with the people’s safety.”

They were dismantled in 2011 by Governor Jerry Brown as part of post-crisis belt tightening.

The US for decades has as a matter of policy tried to reduce the number of hospital beds, which among other things has led to the shuttering of hospitals, particularly in rural areas. Hero of the day, New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo pursued this agenda with vigor, as did his predecessor George Pataki.

And even though Trump has made bad decision after bad decision, from eliminating the CDC’s pandemic unit to denying the severity of the crisis and refusing to use government powers to turbo-charge state and local medical responses, people better qualified than he is have also performed disastrously. America’s failure to test early and enough can be laid squarely at the feet of the CDC...
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 19:58   #544
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

23·13·97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Don’t think that would work at least for people with asthma, my wife can’t do it, she starts coughing after second breathe.
I have seen comments from people with asthma who say they have been doing this for years and it helps with their condition.

Perhaps coughing is good and only those do not do it naturally need to do it as a conscious action. I don't know.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 23:31   #545
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

23×7×73 Posts
Default Do not try this at home (or, well, anywhere)

Darwin award nominees, couples division. Aquarium cleaner as self medication did not go well. https://lidblog.com/aquarium-cleaner...d-of-medicine/

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-04-07 at 23:32
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 23:45   #546
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3·41·67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Darwin award nominees, couples division. Aquarium cleaner as self medication did not go well. https://lidblog.com/aquarium-cleaner...d-of-medicine/
There is an individual that gets credit for the assist in this. Who is left as an exercise for the gentle reader.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-08, 00:50   #547
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×3×547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
A quick search turned up this tidbit (my emphasis):
Quote:
Abstract

The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) virus is spreading rapidly, and scientists are endeavoring to discover drugs for its efficacious treatment in China. Chloroquine phosphate, an old drug for treatment of malaria, is shown to have apparent efficacy and acceptable safety against COVID-19 associated pneumonia in multicenter clinical trials conducted in China. The drug is recommended to be included in the next version of the Guidelines for the Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Pneumonia Caused by COVID-19 issued by the National Health Commission of the People's Republic of China for treatment of COVID-19 infection in larger populations in the future.
Also -- I'm not sure the Darwin Award criteria were met. Although the couple who took the stuff was not named in sites I looked at, some did mention that they were in their sixties. It is therefore possible that they may have already contributed to the gene pool.

I also note that some reports say the couple took the stuff out of fear they would get COVID-19. It certainly prevented the man from getting it.

In Iran, as I have already posted, hundreds have died from ingesting another substance in hopes it would protect them from COVID-19 -- methanol. Some who drank it, however, were not killed. Some of the victims were blinded.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-08, 01:02   #548
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×3×547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Have just received the letter from PM but considering he caught Covid not sure if I shall follow his recommendations.
Seeing as how it was from someone who had the bug, I hope you took due precautions before opening the letter
:-D
Old 2020-04-08, 01:18   #549
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·3·547 Posts

The following blog entry may be of interest. A doctor wants to test people whether symptomatic or not, and the authorities won't let him.
Quote:
DOCTOR SUES TO HOST DRIVE-THRU TESTING CLINIC
2 p.m. Tuesday, April 7

LeRoy physician Tom Pliura has sued the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District Administrator in his attempt to bring a drive-thru COVID-19 testing site in Champaign County, the Champaign News-Gazette reports.

Pliura had scheduled a clinic last week at a Champaign church but it was shut down moments prior after health district administrator Julie Pryde raised concerns.

The News-Gazette reports the lawsuit seeks to prohibit Pryde from stopping Pliura’s plans to offer public COVID-19 testing.

Pliura told WGLT on Friday he was planning to reschedule the clinic once he secured a location.

He has started conducting COVID-19 testing outside his urgent care clinic in Champaign.

-- Eric Stock | WGLT
Old 2020-04-08, 02:08   #550
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

23·7·73 Posts

Beating the models with actual results https://twitter.com/seanmdav/status/1247575560244649985

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-04-08 at 02:35
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote