Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies > Chess

Old 2014-08-10, 16:49   #1
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

48516 Posts
Default interesting site. or something.

being only the most mediocre player of chess I've never been in this corner of the forum before. But I saw this on the interwebs and I thought I would share it where it might find interested parties.

http://www.chesscademy.com/

seems to be based on the Code Academy model.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 20:02   #2
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

100000110000002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
being only the most mediocre player of chess I've never been in this corner of the forum before. But I saw this on the interwebs and I thought I would share it where it might find interested parties.

http://www.chesscademy.com/

seems to be based on the Code Academy model.
I'm only mediocre, if that, and I've played on a team here. The problem I have with this is that I hate memorizing something like a line of moves I'll only use to solve the problems given. and I find that's what it feels like. literally except the mating strategies it seems hard coded to only accept one line to the answer.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 20:22   #3
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

48516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
I'm only mediocre, if that, and I've played on a team here. The problem I have with this is that I hate memorizing something like a line of moves I'll only use to solve the problems given. and I find that's what it feels like. literally except the mating strategies it seems hard coded to only accept one line to the answer.
I understand what you are saying. However the site is only a couple weeks old. And also, given the tradition of chess teaching books, which are completely static in their expected answers at the back of the book, this already seems like a better tool.

Also free.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 22:04   #4
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

20C016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
I understand what you are saying. However the site is only a couple weeks old. And also, given the tradition of chess teaching books, which are completely static in their expected answers at the back of the book, this already seems like a better tool.

Also free.
I'm a bit of a random player so until I watched the video of positional play again I didn't even think of the moves needed. edit: just did a random move on one of the challenges and got that I demonstrated a "high level" of positional understanding.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2014-08-10 at 22:06
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote