mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2013-10-25, 17:44   #89
firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2·31·41 Posts

A new low-level API developed by AMD/ATI named Mantle will hit the market soon.
It is essentially a Graphic API, but allow direct access to GPU memory, and can speed up OpenCL. Do you think that can help mfaktco in any way?
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 10:09   #90
bayanne

"Tony Gott"
Aug 2002
Yell, Shetland, UK

3×107 Posts
Default mfaktc.ini

When I go into Manual Assignment for a batch of exponents to check, I am only given those which are for testing from 2^70 to 2^71

Is there a setting on mfaktc.ini which will allow me to pick up exponents at 2^68 or 2^69 onwards?

I am also sometimes receiving the following message when I request an exponent:

Error code: 40
Error text: No assignment available meeting CPU, program code and work preference requirements, cpu_id: 1463, cpu # = 0, user_id = 64

What does this signify please?

Last fiddled with by bayanne on 2013-10-29 at 10:22
bayanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 11:36   #91
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

Interesting. I just did a test in the PrimeNet manual assignments for TF, and got an 81M from 70 to 71. I don't usually go that route. I use GPU72. There are Double Check TFs available in the 40M range there starting at 68.
http://www.gpu72.com/reports/available/

The thing is, lower bit levels are in demand. They run in less time and each level has the same odds of finding factors. Higher levels = more work to find a factor.

I usually think of Error 40 as a Result not Needed (a duplicate submission.) Apparently, it can also refer to a request for which the parameters given do not find any available assignments.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 11:57   #92
bayanne

"Tony Gott"
Aug 2002
Yell, Shetland, UK

5018 Posts

I thought I would try the gpu72 route, test reserved 5 exponents in the 64M range. I then checked exponent status on PrimeNet and found that they had been assigned to someone else on 2013-02-19. I then unreserved them.

Is there not a linkage between gpu72 and PrimeNet?

I don't want to poach someone else's exponent ...
Old 2013-10-29, 12:09   #93
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

236568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayanne View Post
I thought I would try the gpu72 route, test reserved 5 exponents in the 64M range. I then checked exponent status on PrimeNet and found that they had been assigned to someone else on 2013-02-19. I then unreserved them.

Is there not a linkage between gpu72 and PrimeNet?

I don't want to poach someone else's exponent ...
GPU72 gets its assignments from PrimeNet. What user was indicated when you saw that the exponents were already assigned? I am seeing "Trial factoring to "GPU Factoring" on 2013-07-24" on one of my ~63M assignments. In general, GPU72 assignments only show up as "yours" when you complete and report them.

You may have encountered some glitch. Chalsall would have to let you know on that one when he gets a chance.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 12:11   #94
bayanne

"Tony Gott"
Aug 2002
Yell, Shetland, UK

1010000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
GPU72 gets its assignments from PrimeNet. What user was indicated when you saw that the exponents were already assigned? I am seeing "Trial factoring to "GPU Factoring" on 2013-07-24" on one of my ~63M assignments. In general, GPU72 assignments only show up as "yours" when you complete and report them.

You may have encountered some glitch. Chalsall would have to let you know on that one when he gets a chance.
This was one allocated to GPU Factoring
Old 2013-10-29, 14:00   #95
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

7×29×47 Posts

Quote:
This was one allocated to GPU Factoring
Yes -- that's GPU72's Spider's Account.

How this works is GPU72 reserves candidates from Primenet, and then "lends" them out to workers. The worker (read: you) submits the results to Primenet, where you get the credit.

A few minutes later another GPU72 spider will notice you've completed the work on Primenet, and will give you credit on GPU72. It will then assign the candidate to another person for additional work (if needed), or else release it back to Primenet for LLing assignment.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2013-10-29 at 14:01 Reason: /"lends" out/"lends" them out/
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 15:28   #96
bayanne

"Tony Gott"
Aug 2002
Yell, Shetland, UK

3×107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Yes -- that's GPU72's Spider's Account.

How this works is GPU72 reserves candidates from Primenet, and then "lends" them out to workers. The worker (read: you) submits the results to Primenet, where you get the credit.

A few minutes later another GPU72 spider will notice you've completed the work on Primenet, and will give you credit on GPU72. It will then assign the candidate to another person for additional work (if needed), or else release it back to Primenet for LLing assignment.
Yes, that's all how it seems to have gone.
I'll take a larger batch this time
Old 2013-10-29, 15:58   #97
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

7·29·47 Posts

Quote:
I'll take a larger batch this time
Excellent. Thanks.

Welcome to the party!
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-10, 14:19   #98
bayanne

"Tony Gott"
Aug 2002
Yell, Shetland, UK

3×107 Posts

When I change my Mac, it will be likely that there will be the potential to use a eGPU box, such as Blackmagic using Radeon Pro 580 graphics processor with 8GB DDR5 memory.
However does anyone know if any of the software packages can use this to do trial factoring?

Alternatively I can obtain a eGPU unit such as the AkiTio Node Pro fitted with one of the new Turing NVIDIA cards. However I understand tha NVIDIA drivers have not yet been approved by Apple, so not sure what will be the best option.

I have mfaktc running fine on my 4 year old iMac ...
Old 2018-11-10, 15:33   #99
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

503610 Posts

Quote:
When I change my Mac, it will be likely that there will be the potential to use a eGPU box, such as Blackmagic using Radeon Pro 580 graphics processor with 8GB DDR5 memory.
However does anyone know if any of the software packages can use this to do trial factoring?

Alternatively I can obtain a eGPU unit such as the AkiTio Node Pro fitted with one of the new Turing NVIDIA cards. However I understand tha NVIDIA drivers have not yet been approved by Apple, so not sure what will be the best option.

I have mfaktc running fine on my 4 year old iMac ...
I don't see a lot of posts on the forum by Mac users running GIMPS software, but it's not zero either. As I recall, there are some running gpu applications. Since you're considering a Radeon, the candidate for tf there is mfakto. I think you'll need to do a compile yourself. Let us know how it turns out. I maintain a reference table of GIMPS software versus hardware, among other reference material; see the attachment on post 2 in https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=23371. The more information you could provide about what works on Mac, the more I can add to make it easier for the next person.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote