mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies

Old 2007-06-07, 10:38   #1
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

175348 Posts
Default Nordic Wanking?

Does anyone here participate in Nordic Walking?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_walking

We picked up a set of Swix CT1 poles this week and are currently in the process of making a fool out of ourselves. But, it is fun and we're used to looking stupid anyways.

http://www.swix.no/eway/default.aspx...0:6283:1:::0:0

We have been told that this sport is very popular in Europe. We've never seen anyone walking with poles around here (The Polish community is pretty small in Raleigh.) except a few kids with polio.

There is a 34 mile off-road trail that starts near our home. We've been walking it in 8-9 mile segments. The terrain isn't mountainous but it sure feels like it. The second PDF below contains the GPS/elevation data for it.

http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/567829.html
http://home.nc.rr.com/schnabba/falls...ture_trail.pdf
http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit...m2c_trlmap.pdf

Apparently, this trail will someday be tied into the trail that is being built across the state, which will be 900 miles long.

http://www.ncmst.org/

We're guessing this sport isn't new. We figure people have been walking with sticks for a few thousand years, at least.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 11:57   #2
Boulder

May 2003

3·13 Posts

We have a saying which means something like "One way of realizing that you are old is that you notice that you go Nordic Walking with your wife/husband Wearing similar clothing, of course..."
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 13:17   #3
michaf

Jan 2005

1110111112 Posts

In the Netherlands it's very popular, mainly for people above 45-ish.

I think it looks silly to walk with sticks in a flat country as Holland is... it feels just like the mountain should be straigh ahead of them.

But then again, I was told it was one of the sports that uses the most muscles in your body, so it should be good for you.
michaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 01:28   #4
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

175348 Posts

We did nine miles off road today with the sticks. It was a nice workout. We saw a lot of cool wildlife too. Of particular note was a Red-tailed Hawk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Tailed_Hawk

On the flats you can really get hauling with the sticks.

Without the sticks our hikes never hit our cardiovascular system at all. It was just muscular endurance. Today we felt like we were getting a moderate cardiovascular workout. Nothing like cycling or running, but definitely more than regular walking or curling.

Yes, we know the Red-tailed Hawk is a common bird, but it still was pretty impressive to us.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 17:43   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

1162510 Posts

Walking with sticks is very porpular amongst mountan hiklers in Europe - probably getting that way in the US, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We have been told that this sport is very popular in Europe. We've never seen anyone walking with poles around here (The Polish community is pretty small in Raleigh.)
What about folks from Prague on pogo sticks? You know, "Czechs bouncing."

Quote:
We're guessing this sport isn't new. We figure people have been walking with sticks for a few thousand years, at least.
And they've probably been beating each other with sticks for even longer. After all, beating your buddy with a stick doesn't even require the ability to walk upright - though I admit walking upright makes it easier, you can get way better leverage.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 19:13   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

24×5×7×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We figure people have been walking with sticks for a few thousand years, at least.
I was walking with sticks from 28th March until mid-April this year.

Got knocked off my bike again (though the first time in good number of years) and damaged my left ankle moderately badly. It's still stiff and aches, as does my left wrist, but at least it's working well enough.

Paul

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2007-06-08 at 19:13 Reason: Changed a speeling misteak.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 06:29   #7
philmoore

"Phil"
Sep 2002
Tracktown, U.S.A.

3×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaf View Post
In the Netherlands it's very popular, mainly for people above 45-ish.
Doesn't surprise me. I never heard of "Kennedy walks" until I lived in the Netherlands. Apparently inspired by a speech of John F. Kennedy about how a soldier should be able to walk 50 miles per day, but apparently the idea just never caught on in this country.

I ran long distances in the countryside around Den Bosch, and the highlight of the run was when I ran under the freeway and actually got to climb a small hill on my way up the other side. Of course, when it flooded, I had to detour, but it was definitely better than drowning. I loved the fact that there was no urban sprawl, once you were outside of the city, you were definitely in farm country!
philmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 08:21   #8
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22×33×19 Posts
Lightbulb Walking sticks!

Ever since our pet dog died two years ago I suspended my morning walks. Needless to say this made my physical condition deteriorate slowly but surely.
My activity was restricted to my house (flat) mostly.

I observed the skin on my hands had wrinkles, my veins were sticking out and my muscles sagging. Nothing new I thought. Its plain old age and my Dad had the same condition but he was in his latter half of 80's!. Well as long as I continue with my TM all should be well as I have seen others who meditate looking in the pink of health.

Ten days ago I went to meet a friend and had a couple of scotches. On my return I felt I was losing my balance badly and it was not the scotch as I was quite sober.

Well I resolved to start my morning walks again and the very next day after, I started. In remembrance of my dog I carried a 3 ft. long aluminium pipe I used to take to ward off the other stray dogs in the park.

After two days of walking about a half mile each day I felt very much better. Moreover my muscles were toning up and I could see my, biceps, triceps, deltoids, forearms and pectorals shaping up. The abdominal muscles had no appreciable visible effects but my appetite improved.

After reading 'Nordic walking' I realised much depended on my aluminium pipe of 1.5 cms. so I decided to weigh it. Well it was 100 gms. And that's what made all the difference.

I'm sure that with two of those, whatever you call it, 'sticks' one would get a great workout on the entire system.

Mally

BTW: my balance also has improved.

Last fiddled with by mfgoode on 2007-06-11 at 08:23
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 18:53   #9
MooooMoo
Apprentice Crank

Mar 2006

2·227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmoore View Post
Apparently inspired by a speech of John F. Kennedy about how a soldier should be able to walk 50 miles per day
Assuming you walk at 2.5 miles an hour, it'll take you 20 hours of continuous walking to go that far :surprised
MooooMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 20:02   #10
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

24·5·7·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooooMoo View Post
Assuming you walk at 2.5 miles an hour, it'll take you 20 hours of continuous walking to go that far :surprised
A brisk walk is about twice that speed. When in a hurry, I've clocked myself at 6mph over 3 miles though, to be fair, at half my present age. Most healthy adults can maintain 4mph for hours at a time and 50 miles in a day is straightforward for a soldier in good condition. 50 miles *every* day, on the other hand, is another situation entirely. A more typical distance back in the days when infantry marched everywhere was 30 miles per day.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 20:04   #11
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

101101011010012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooooMoo View Post
Or, at a brisk 4 mph, just over 12 hours. A long walk to be sure, but not at all unreasonable for a very fit person over moderate terrain, assuming they don't have to do it every day. Forced military marches do this kind of stuff all the time.

Even 20 hours at a moderate walking pace is not unreasonable, again assuming it's a one-time effort and you get to rest up afterward. It just seems extreme by the standards of our soft couch-potato modern culture. Reminds me of a funny Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, in which Calvin is bugging his mom to drive him somewhere within easy walking distance. His mom replies to the effect, "Why don't you walk? What do you think God gave you feet for?" Calvin retorts, "To work the gas pedal and the brakes?"
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote