Old 2018-06-12, 18:58   #1
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

3×5×29 Posts
Default Healthy Jiving Plans

Here I'm going to post about how I plan on living healthy, while in real life I'm going to continue eating fast food 6 times a day

In all seriousness, I gained a lot of weight at ASMSA, kind of like how freshmen at college gain a lot of weight. In addition to a lack of any exercise, the food was good enough that you could eat quite a bit. And even if you didn't like the cafeteria food, the local Domino's gave us very good deals on deliveries.

I used to do martial arts and run a bit, but now I'm really out of shape. I'm starting to avoid an excessive amount of soft drinks, and I don't mind salads.

Another thing is sleep schedule. Now I'm back to a normal routine, but I was really messed up at ASMSA where sometimes I would go to bed early, sometimes late, and sometimes really late.

Not sure if there's anything else that was affected by my stay at ASMSA...
jvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-12, 19:06   #2
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

22·41·47 Posts

A consistent sleep schedule, with 8-10 hours of sleep every night, sounds like a great way to start!

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-12, 20:19   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

8,747 Posts

This is part of "adulting". Jail or the military can teach you about having a routine schedule. Choose wisely.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-12, 23:16   #4
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

100000101100012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
This is part of "adulting". Jail or the military can teach you about having a routine schedule. Choose wisely.
I was asked by autism nova scotia about if I had a routine/regimented schedule I said no, but you could time my shower and be nearly to the minute every time. Music runs on prescribed rhythms and timing.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-13, 03:35   #5
danaj

"Dana Jacobsen"
Feb 2011
Bangkok, TH

16128 Posts

Having just lost 50 pounds in the last 3 months, albeit at a much different age and probably higher starting weight, some thoughts.

- metabolism matters. Regular exercise is good for keeping things moving. But sometimes you're blessed with a high metabolism so just eating less works, other times you're out of luck.

- it's easier to lose weight if you're starting with a lot, or a high fat percentage. It gets slower and harder as you get into the "normal" weight range.

- targeted fat loss doesn't really work. You can build muscle in a particular area, but since that just builds under the fat it just bulks you up until you can get fat percentage down a lot. So work on generic weight / fat loss.

- Drink lots of water. Not only is this good for hydration, but for me it helps me feel more full. Also keeps me from drinking other things.

- Replace soda with something like LaCroix if possible. Or plain water. Juices sound nice but do it in moderation if they're fresh. In the USA, actual fresh juice is rare so best to avoid entirely. It's laden with sugar.

- Fresh food whenever possible. Everything in the USA is loaded with corn syrup, sugar, and tons of other crap. A trip overseas is pretty eye opening as bread is just *bread* and not processed crap. Orange juice is made from oranges. Tomato soup made from ... tomatoes. There are good bakeries in the USA of course, and even grocery stores typically have decent bread, but you have to look for it.

- Much, much smaller portions. I used to eat a huge amount of anything in front of me. Spending time in Thailand where I would walk for a long time then get a small street food item, then walk some more and get another, and so on really changed things. The idea that I can eat just 2-10 bites then stop and have more later. It turns out by the time later rolled around I'd decide I wasn't hungry.

- Eat less late at night. I used to binge chips and salsa at 11pm, usually because I was *bored*. No more.

- Breakfast. I do a yogurt and a mango. Your choice may differ, but having something small and fresh at the start of the day is helpful.

- If you're serious, you're going to have to give up some foods temporarily or do in serious moderation. That is *any* fast food, pizza, ice cream, and so on. Those things can kill your whole day's worth of work in a minute.

For the most part for me it was all about eating. I also do:

- bike to work instead of car or bus. I have an electric bike so it isn't horribly difficult, but I don't ride at full power and I view it as a workout. 15 miles total each day.

- walking 10k steps a day. That one is hard if you don't walk a lot as part of your normal day. I started adding an extra 1-2 hours a day in just to walk. I'm dubious as to how important this is if you're trying to pack it in at the end, but it's awesome if you can do something close to this throughout the day.

- weights and resistance. I don't have any gear other than a couple different weights. So all stuff I can do by myself every morning. Lots of squats, pushups, planks, leg lifts, etc.

Measure and have a goal. This is huge for me. For some people it isn't motivating.
danaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-13, 06:47   #6
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

27×37 Posts

Hey Danaj,

Have you tried vegan or vegetarian food? Did you reduce the red meat consumption?

Since my gallbladder removal that I lost almost 10 kg with change of type of food, although I was already on diet food (Mediterranean). Also I do walk everyday more than 10k steps, I follow almost everything you said. I even replaced the pizza junk food by vegetarian pizza!!! Finally I have one boring thing in my favor which is I am still trying to control my bowels so I don’t gain weight easily.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-13, 11:25   #7
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

8,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaj View Post
- it's easier to lose weight if you're starting with a lot, or a high fat percentage. It gets slower and harder as you get into the "normal" weight range.
Thanks markup and margin. Work=force*distance if you lose 20% of the force you need to go 25% more distance to burn the same ( neglecting metabolism changes)
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-13, 17:24   #8
danaj

"Dana Jacobsen"
Feb 2011
Bangkok, TH

2×3×151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
Thanks markup and margin. Work=force*distance if you lose 20% of the force you need to go 25% more distance to burn the same ( neglecting metabolism changes)
There is the point that you're pulling, pushing, or moving more weight around at first, so it takes more energy for the same action. But I was thinking more of the more complicated action of the body burning fat.

Quote:
Have you tried vegan or vegetarian food? Did you reduce the red meat consumption?
I have not and have no plans at all to do so. I definitely changed to a more vegetable/fruit filled diet and much less grains/dairy. I do miss good bread from a good bakery. I have cut down on what my spouse calls "big hunks of meat". More in favor of small amounts of meat mixed with lots of vegetables and often in a soup (which means you get filled up by so much other stuff you don't need much meat). Again inspired by Thai street food -- anyone will tell you it isn't really healthy, but they don't do big chunks of meat, a lot more seafood, a lot less beef, and tend to add lots of vegetables to everything. Often in the form of a soup. Note this is actual Thai food, not American restaurant "Thai" food. I started making a few dishes of my own that were easy and could be done in enough bulk to feed the family easily.
danaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-13, 19:01   #9
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

3·5·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Which is less painful?

Thanks danaj for the many tips! I'll be referring to those a bit. I mostly need to work on portion size, since I'm used to eating until I'm full. I'll try and plan my meals out ahead of time and measure them out to be consistent and reasonable (for example, exactly 1 cup of cereal and milk for breakfast every day).
jvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-13, 20:02   #10
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

8,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Not being a vegX person, I am vegX friendly. I have a family member that is vegan. I am the one that is willing to go to the vegX eating locations.

I don't do personal portion control well (long story). I have gone to oatmeal prepack for breakfast. I frequently hit up the local place for lunch that sells their wares in 15 and 30 cm lots. Going for the 15's and looking at the menus that show the calories helps.
IIRC a notorious spokes(hu)man for said firm talked about using them for portion control to lose a few stone.

And I would advise against using incarceration or enlistment to learn good habits, except if one is given as an option instead of the other.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-13, 21:21   #11
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

27·37 Posts

I’m not a vegan or vegetarian person either but we have decided to replace some of the unhealthy food with more vegX alternatives. I still eat pizza or heavy portugueses dishes but not as frequent as in the past. Red meat twice per month, more white meat though. We try to eat a lot of fresh fish but here in the U.K. it’s hard to find it on the supermarket, where we live only available seabass, tuna, salmon, hike (Waitrose). At night we always eat vegetable soup. My wife says my soup is better than hers.

With regards to drinks, always still water (weekdays) and red wine instead of beer on weekends.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote