mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-03-01, 02:37   #1
esqrkim
 
Mar 2010
California, USA

2×13 Posts
Default Switching computers

I just joined GIMPS today and started to perform LL tests on two exponents using Pentium D (3.0 GHz) and 4GB RAM (667 MHz). I have two questions:

1) After about 2 hours at 100% CPU usage, I heard several beeping sounds from my computer and then it shut down. Restarting the computer was no problem, but what happened? I plan to do more of these dedicated sessions. Any advise to ensure my machine sontinues to run?

2) Anyone have any stats on how long a computer lasts when running 24/7 doing LL tests?

3) I am planning to build a new computer with Duo Core E8600 (3.33 GHz) with 4GB RAM (1066 MHz). How do I get the new computer to continue where the first computer left off? Are the data somehow tied to the computer name I used when I got work from PrimeNet?

Thanks for your help.
esqrkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 15:39   #2
joblack
 
joblack's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
n00bville

52×29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqrkim View Post
I just joined GIMPS today and started to perform LL tests on two exponents using Pentium D (3.0 GHz) and 4GB RAM (667 MHz). I have two questions:

1) After about 2 hours at 100% CPU usage, I heard several beeping sounds from my computer and then it shut down. Restarting the computer was no problem, but what happened? I plan to do more of these dedicated sessions. Any advise to ensure my machine sontinues to run?

2) Anyone have any stats on how long a computer lasts when running 24/7 doing LL tests?

3) I am planning to build a new computer with Duo Core E8600 (3.33 GHz) with 4GB RAM (1066 MHz). How do I get the new computer to continue where the first computer left off? Are the data somehow tied to the computer name I used when I got work from PrimeNet?

Thanks for your help.
Your computer or CPU gets too warm. Check if the cooling devices are working and you might also increase the warning temperate in the BIOS (the latter you should only do if you know what you do).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 16:08   #3
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!
 
petrw1's Avatar
 
"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

43·103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqrkim View Post
I just joined GIMPS today and started to perform LL tests on two exponents using Pentium D (3.0 GHz) and 4GB RAM (667 MHz). I have two questions:

1) After about 2 hours at 100% CPU usage, I heard several beeping sounds from my computer and then it shut down. Restarting the computer was no problem, but what happened? I plan to do more of these dedicated sessions. Any advise to ensure my machine sontinues to run?

2) Anyone have any stats on how long a computer lasts when running 24/7 doing LL tests?

3) I am planning to build a new computer with Duo Core E8600 (3.33 GHz) with 4GB RAM (1066 MHz). How do I get the new computer to continue where the first computer left off? Are the data somehow tied to the computer name I used when I got work from PrimeNet?

Thanks for your help.
You asked 3 questions but I'll let it go

1. I agree with Joblack...probably overheating. Check for clogged vents/fans too.

2. I along with many others on this project have run PC's for 5 years or more; 24 hors a day; 365 days a year at 100% without fail.

3. You need to copy over
Worktodo.txt and the save files. For a LL the file name starts with "p" and ends with the last 5 digits of the exponent you were working on.

I might also copy over the other personal files including:
prime.txt
prime.log
local.txt
results.txt
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 20:35   #4
esqrkim
 
Mar 2010
California, USA

2·13 Posts
Default

Thanks for the replies.
  1. I did remove the cooling system from the processor when I did a general cleaning of the internals on the computer, but I replaced the cooling system in the same orientation. There was, however, some thermal paste at the interface. I did not remove/replace it. This also brings up another question: On a new Q9550 processor that I just bought (I decided to go with a Quad), no thermal paste is provided. Does this mean none is required?
  2. Got it.
  3. What about the computer name? Can this change,or does the new computer name have to take on the name of the first computer?
esqrkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 20:55   #5
stars10250
 
stars10250's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
San Francisco, CA

3×67 Posts
Default

About removing the cooling system (presumably heatsink) for cleaning, I'm not sure that is a good idea. First, you might get a non-uniform distribution of thermal paste when you re-apply it. It's hard to know what the contact surface looks like between the cpu-paste-heatsink because it's all connected, but when I have removed heatsinks from processors it comes off in random patterns and I'm not sure how uniform that will re-establish itself when you replace it. Maybe the heat will melt it all back in place, but I think it is possible that you might gets some gaps (not good for heat transfer). Whenever I remove a heatsink I clean the thermal paste completely from both parts and reapply it in the prescribed pattern. Second, you don't want to introduce dust into the thermal paste that might impede heat transfer. It seems like if you remove the heatsink and stir up some dust in the area while cleaning, it would stick to it.

Regarding thermal paste for the new quad, usually the supplied heatsink will have it already applied to its mating surface. Often they put it on in stripes, and you will see a few wide stripes of grey thermal paste. It will be quite thin. If for some reason you are sure there is no thermal paste on the heatsink and the cpu, then you need to buy some. A small tube is only about five dollars and it will last for many applications. It might be annoying to have to buy it, but you need it. Google how to apply thermal paste to your specific cpu model and you should be able to find some pictures that show the technique.


Quote:
Originally Posted by esqrkim View Post
Thanks for the replies.
  1. I did remove the cooling system from the processor when I did a general cleaning of the internals on the computer, but I replaced the cooling system in the same orientation. There was, however, some thermal paste at the interface. I did not remove/replace it. This also brings up another question: On a new Q9550 processor that I just bought (I decided to go with a Quad), no thermal paste is provided. Does this mean none is required?
  2. Got it.
  3. What about the computer name? Can this change,or does the new computer name have to take on the name of the first computer?
stars10250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 23:54   #6
lycorn
 
lycorn's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

2×19×37 Posts
Default

The computer name may be the same, or a different one. So long as the username is not changed, you´re safe.
A straightforward way of getting the new computer to pickup the exponents where the old one left them is to simply copy the Prime95 folder to the new computer. Doing so ensures that all the needed infomation is there (the computer name will be the same, if you do this).

Last fiddled with by lycorn on 2010-03-01 at 23:54
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 03:15   #7
esqrkim
 
Mar 2010
California, USA

2·13 Posts
Default

stars10250:

What kind of thermal paste do you recommend? I presume something with high thermal conductivity would be good. Would it be sufficient to just go to Radio Shack?
esqrkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 04:10   #8
sdbardwick
 
sdbardwick's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
North San Diego County

23×5×17 Posts
Default

Last time I was in Radio Shack, they carried Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Silver Ceramique. Either would be fine; AS5 does perform better.
sdbardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 17:03   #9
joblack
 
joblack's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
n00bville

2D516 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqrkim View Post
stars10250:

What kind of thermal paste do you recommend? I presume something with high thermal conductivity would be good. Would it be sufficient to just go to Radio Shack?
Arctic Silver is fine ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 20:27   #10
CADavis
 
CADavis's Avatar
 
Jul 2005
Des Moines, Iowa, USA

2×5×17 Posts
Default

If you are inexperienced or quite a novice with hardware I would recommend Ceramique as it is less likely to cause problems should it be spilled on any components (it is neither electrically conductive nor capacitative, AS5 is not conductive but it can be capacitative and it leaves worse stains :P)
CADavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SNFS(27x) How much ECM before switching to NFS? YuL Factoring 24 2015-06-08 01:26
switching 25.4 from v4 to v5 abandonded work? crash893 Software 1 2008-04-29 15:13
Switching Boxes Numbers Hardware 7 2005-09-12 19:10
switching to doublechecking tha Lone Mersenne Hunters 11 2004-05-17 15:43
switching PC's for same exponent sonjohan Software 2 2003-11-01 01:23

All times are UTC. The time now is 08:14.

Thu Oct 29 08:14:28 UTC 2020 up 49 days, 5:25, 1 user, load averages: 1.25, 1.43, 1.45

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.