mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-03-12, 09:35   #1
S485122
 
S485122's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

22×5×79 Posts
Default PrimeNet Assignment Rules

It seems to me that on the PrimeNet Assignment Rules page the condition
Code:
Setting for "days of work to queue" <= 5.
is missing for Category 1 Double-Checking.
For Category 0 it is <=3 and for category 2 it is <=10. It would then be coherent with the category 1 conditions for the Lucas-Lehmer tests.

Jacob
S485122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-13, 00:42   #2
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2×43×83 Posts
Default

The web page is correct.

Cat 1 originally may have required days-of-work <= 5 and after some time not enough cat 1's were getting assigned. Thus, the restriction was removed.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-01, 00:55   #3
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

64F16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Your account is set for each computer to perform at least one matching double-check yearly to ensure the computer is operating properly. Highly recommended.
Does it matter how this test is ran? I am 55% through this on a 1080 using CUDALucas. Just under 14 hours left.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-01, 13:15   #4
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

3×23×43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Does it matter how this test is ran? I am 55% through this on a 1080 using CUDALucas. Just under 14 hours left.
If this is a double check meant for your CPU that you moved to the 1080 GPU, then it defeats the purpose. The point is to run 1 double check per year on every CPU that you use for LL/PRP tests, to test if the CPU is reliable.
It is not a bad idea to double check on GPU as well, but that is a manual process.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-02, 01:05   #5
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

5·17·19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
If this is a double check meant for your CPU that you moved to the 1080 GPU, then it defeats the purpose....

I came to this conclusion on my own, but wanted to verify it. Thank you!
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-02, 16:06   #6
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2·33·5·17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I came to this conclusion on my own, but wanted to verify it. Thank you!
It's a good thing to occasionally run double-checks on your gpu, in addition to your cpu.
Not only does it double check both hardware units, it double-checks the software, potentially in an fft length not run on your hardware before, which might show up new issues.
(I'm currently running CUDAPm1 on multiple gpu models on an assortment of fft lengths each, and finding interesting behaviors that differ model to model. CUDAPm1 was derived from CUDALucas, so some of it may apply somewhat to CUDALucas also.)
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-08, 12:38   #7
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

22×1,433 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
It's a good thing to occasionally run double-checks on your gpu, in addition to your cpu.
Not only does it double check both hardware units, it double-checks the software, potentially in an fft length not run on your hardware before, which might show up new issues.
(I'm currently running CUDAPm1 on multiple gpu models on an assortment of fft lengths each, and finding interesting behaviors that differ model to model. CUDAPm1 was derived from CUDALucas, so some of it may apply somewhat to CUDALucas also.)
If you are running prp there is probably no point because errors will be detected. If it detecting errors you should worry.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-08, 14:49   #8
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2×33×5×17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
If you are running prp there is probably no point because errors will be detected. If it detecting errors you should worry.
That's a good point on prp with Gerbicz check built in, providing continuous error checking. It applies to gpuOwL (on AMD or IGP gpus) and parts of Prime95/mprime. It does not currently apply to NVIDIA gpus, for which no PRP Mersenne application is available. (CUDALucas and CUDAPm1 do not have PRP, Gerbicz check, or Jacobi check.)
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modifications to LL assignment rules!!! Prime95 PrimeNet 145 2017-08-05 01:14
Modifications to DC assignment rules Prime95 PrimeNet 74 2017-01-18 18:36
Understanding assignment rules Fred PrimeNet 3 2016-05-19 13:40
Tweak to assignment rules Prime95 PrimeNet 11 2014-11-17 02:43
Tweaked assignment rules Prime95 PrimeNet 16 2012-03-19 20:24

All times are UTC. The time now is 08:48.

Sat Oct 24 08:48:40 UTC 2020 up 44 days, 5:59, 0 users, load averages: 1.28, 1.57, 1.57

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.